Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DIY 1 inch lowering and it's free for everyone.  (Read 7620 times)

Offline IdahoX

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: DIY 1 inch lowering and it's free for everyone.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 12:52:04 AM »
Hello all.  I did the switch/flip/rotate yesterday on my new '14 that I picked up last week (following info gained on this forum, thank you all).  With boards under the kickstand to the tipping point, I measured to the left side forward-most bolt of the three passenger peg mounting bolts (since it is close to directly under the center of my butt on the seat) to the ground.  After the switch it was a 3/4" (0.75") drop at the bolt; so also 3/4" drop for my butt.

I do not plan to lower the front (knowing that not doing it will tend to make it hold more of a straight line - but I don't dive into corners).  30 miles on the freeway and another 30 back roads.  No problems.  I have not had a passenger with me at all yet, so that remains to be seen.  And the kickstand is now perfect.  This was the first bike I've had that if I stepped onto the footpeg - the bike would actually start tipping over towards me.  Sits normal now.

Also the main part of the seat sits flatter now as opposed to it tending to make me scoot forward.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:56:09 AM by IdahoX »

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 03:34:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by IdahoX >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Hello all.  I did the switch/flip/rotate yesterday on my new '14 that I picked up last week (following info gained on this forum, thank you all).  With boards under the kickstand to the tipping point, I measured to the left side forward-most bolt of the three passenger peg mounting bolts (since it is close to directly under the center of my butt on the seat) to the ground.  After the switch it was a 3/4" (0.75") drop at the bolt; so also 3/4" drop for my butt.

I do not plan to lower the front (knowing that not doing it will tend to make it hold more of a straight line - but I don't dive into corners).  30 miles on the freeway and another 30 back roads.  No problems.  I have not had a passenger with me at all yet, so that remains to be seen.  And the kickstand is now perfect.  This was the first bike I've had that if I stepped onto the footpeg - the bike would actually start tipping over towards me.  Sits normal now.

Also the main part of the seat sits flatter now as opposed to it tending to make me scoot forward.

Thanks for adding that.I will go out on a limb and ass-u-me you have the original Scorpion Trail tires.

This reminds me of another point I should make about my set up.As soon as I finished lowering the rear of my bike,I installed Shinko 705 tires in sizes 150/70-17 and 120/70-17.This may have something to do with the handling issues.The 705 has less of a curve across the tread, compared to the Scorpions,or any other street only tire design.Plus they are a little wider than the Scorpions.The 705 is rated 80% road and 20% offroad.I think it should be rated more like 60% road and 40% offroad.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline delbert

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500F
  • City / Town: Dorset
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 08:11:13 AM »
I lowered my 500F using Lust lowering links (available in the UK), also lowered the front, it hasn't affected the handling.
CB500F
CB350SG
Innova

Offline myKidsPwnedU

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »
For anyone needing more lowering than the 1", I just did the 2" lowering kit by Motowerk and can vouch for it, including the insert for shortening the kickstand and the clear instructions. (Shipping to Australia wasn't outrageous, although too bad about the Australian dollar being so weak.)

It seems like the Motowerk $25 insert is a much cheaper way to go for the kickstand shortening than the Soupy's adjustable option, which was quite expensive. Indeed, the original kickstand is also pretty cheap, so you could go back to full height by buying a replacement and be better off than buying the adjustable one. Of course, if you want to experiment with different heights, it's another matter, but I was pretty confident 2" was what I needed and am very pleased. Any shorties without off road aspirations (I'm 5'6" with 29" inseam) should go for it without hesitation - the bike is so comfortable now.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:41:39 PM by myKidsPwnedU »

Offline yort999

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Bangkok
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 03:49:36 AM »
can the plates be changed over by just putting the bike on the centre stand or does it need to be on the centre stand and the rear of the bike "strung up" ?

Online Dr Strange

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: sheffield
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 10:04:23 AM »
on the centre stand is ok, you just need to take the weight off the rear wheel and swingarm. whilst your under there and have the plates off take time to pop the sleeves out of the needle beearings and put some grease in, its an extra 5 minutes, you'll be surprised at how dry they are.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:06:52 AM by Dr Strange »

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »
Bump for those looking for the info.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage