Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: In need of some advice  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Murraymint

• CB500X Pro
  • Loving my cbx
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500x
In need of some advice
« on: November 01, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
Next weekend I've got to go to cardiff, a 300 mile round trip. I want to take my cbx because.

A. I don't want to be sat in rush hour traffic/tolls in the car.
B. The trip would take my bike up to 600 miles so I can have the first service done.
      My current mileage is about 270. I'm main concern is I would be running the bike at about 70/80 mph for about two hours, as the bike isn't fully run in would this damage the engine? Or am I being too cautious?

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
Re: In need of some advice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
Some say you don't need to run engines etc in these days & how many people do you know with new cars that would even know how. I prefer to err on the side of caution, coming from an era when you risked a seized engine if you didn't. So the standard advice was keep the revs sensible, but not too low as to load up engine. No full throttle acceleration, but make the motor work a bit, & when cruising, vary the speed & revs now & again. In short give it some work to do, but don't thrash it or be too gentle either. I bet you've been doing this anyway & a good long run should do nothing but good if done sensibly. Hope the trip goes well, a report would be good.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X red
  • City / Town: Oswestry
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
I would avoid going above 70 for a long period (keep to about 65 and you should be ok - revs no more than 5K).

Cheers
Gary
  :300:

Offline 13.16.20

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: S-o-T
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:08:25 PM »
A'up Murry, Should be okay at half throttle, but try not to keep it on the same revs for periods of time, best to very the revs when the engine is so tight.

13.16.20  :030:
No such thing as bad biking weather. Just a bad choice of clothing and attitude.

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »
no issue at all. you can ride at 70mph in top gear without getting near the redline or  stressing the engine. try not to sit at one rev constantly though as i was told by honda this was a bad idea.
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Offline Murraymint

• CB500X Pro
  • Loving my cbx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »
Cheers for all the info  :821:. Would like to take the bike but all depends on the weather.

Offline Mr Maggit

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB 500 X
  • City / Town: Hull, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »
Mate, I've ran soooo many bikes in and never had an issue by going steady away 1st 100, then building up a little more every 100 miles. So long as you just ride steadily, relaxed, no harsh as hell throttle action, just wind on and off steadily you'll do no damage to your engine. Some say a slightly harder ran in engine loosens up betterover time  too, old wives tale? My advice is, enjoy the ride don't focus on what your rev counter is doing DON'T worry about it, your bike has been bench tested to much higher revs than you will do on the long run down. Just ride as normal, (not like a despatch rider would) & you'll be reet. Enjoy the ride mate ... at this time of year i'd be more worried about staying warm lol .... heated grips? Take care mucka

Offline phobkirk

• CB500X Member
  • Good day from Ottawa, Canada
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Red 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »
Sounds like a good trip.
It is the UK, where can you go at 70mph at a constant speed for more than 5 minutes without a hill climb, slow down for cars/traffic, roadworks, etc. ???
:-)
Paul Hobkirk, Ottawa, Canada, Happy Riding!
RTW Plans on my CB500X in 3-4 years,
2013 CB500X
2011 CBR250R, 2009 CBR125, 2008 Kymco 50 Scooter

Offline Murraymint

• CB500X Pro
  • Loving my cbx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:13:37 PM »
So didn't take the x in the end, mostly due to the weather was terrible. Also I didn't fancy leaving it on the street in the middle of Cardiff for the weekend. But now I'm sat here missing it  :003: lol. Think I'm gunna ride it to work on Monday, even if it's pissing it down

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:48:25 PM »
Oh dear,sounds like a classic case of Bike Fever, so resign yourself to the fact that even when you're old, grey & knackered you'll still want to get on a bike & go. It'll be a fun trip getting there though. Enjoy life as it comes. Can't blame you for not wanting to leave your precious X on the street. You'll love it all the more when you get back.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Recent Topics