Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Highway cruizin  (Read 11394 times)

Offline DaveW124

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Highway cruizin
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:24:13 PM »
I am looking at getting another bike this spring and the CB500X is on the short list. My more recent bikes were a Varadero, and St1100 and 1300.  I am 62 and am looking for something lighter and more flickable.  I have read all the reviews and followed the forums but the one thing I can't find is how do these bikes handle at highways speeds for long periods like 500 mile days etc.  What I have found in comparisons between the CN700X and the CB500X is that the Cb can feel a little less stable at highway speeds.  I would like to take trips out west on my next bike but because I have limited time off it means a few big days of slabbing it there and back in order to have as much time as possible on the good roads (Colorado, Utah, etc.)

So, any feedback or comments as to you how you feel about highway riding and highway speeds with the CB would be greatly appreciated.  Yes I know that I have to ride the bike myself but this is all part of my narrowing the field down.

Thanks

DaveW
London, Ontario, Canada

Offline CharlieBravo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Montana
Re: Highway cruizin
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:59:28 AM »
I only have limited experience, so interpret how you will. I've been on the interstate and took one thirty mile trip on the interstate to see a friend. All the way up to 100 I have never felt like I was going faster than the bike could safely be driven. This is compared to my dirt bike, which I probably wouldn't have the nerve to drive that fast, even if I could. The X definitely does straighten out and have some stability once you get running. It's certainly not out of the question to take your hands off the grips to wipe the remains of a bug off your visor or change a display setting or something. As an aside to that, I find the bars to be in a very natural position, so I didn't really feel the need to take a hand off so often and get the blood flowing again. While cruising at 80 it does lane changes very smoothly, with just a push on the grip. I would say it's more maneuverable at speed than a larger, heavier touring bike...but that is to be expected. At lower speeds all that becomes a bigger benefit.

With that said, there is a different kind of instability that you will notice. If you're used to a cruiser or older steel touring type bike, I think you will find that the X is VERY light-weight. Wind gusts don't just shake your jacket. They also push the bike around. Not in a life-threatening way, but it will definitely wake you up if you're dozing off and meet a semi in a medium-strength crosswind. Personally, I think it's a very worthy trade-off. The light weight is one of the selling points for me. It's just so much fun to have a bike that you can throw around! If you're really going on a 500 mile trip, you'll probably be loaded down with gear. That in turn will add to your weight, and will probably do a lot to increase inertia.

If you want a fun bike that's perfect around town and on highways, that will get by taking one person on interstate trips, I think you'll be happy with the X. If you want a cruiser, you probably won't go fifty feet on the test drive and be ready to try something else.

I'm 5'9", about 160lb and I think this bike fits me perfectly. If I was three inches taller and fifty pounds heavier, it probably would not be my cup of tea. Not making any assumptions, just stating an opinion for the benefit of the general public. ;)

There are others on here with way more experience on the X than me. I just thought I'd chime in since nobody else had yet.

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500x
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:00:08 AM »
the x does notice the wind a lot more than my other bikes when riding freeway.
the distance is not a problem and certainly speed is not an issue even with luggage unless you are slowed by strong winds and need to drop speed for safety reasons.
the taller screen is recommended for increased comfort and the seat isn't comfy enough for a 500m day in my book, saying that however few stock motorcycle seats are.
can expect 200 mile tank range at high speeds (my bikes UK MPG drops to 70 on motorway VS high 70's in town)

you will notice less power than your previous machines but for me this is real world usable power so not an issue. the relatively low torque on our bikes compared to your previous 3 machines is somewhat hidden by the utterly smooth engine and completely  linear torque curve.

The nc700 is probably a better long distance machine but it is without a doubt the most soulless and boring machine ever made. I tried both automatic and manual versions and found it to be a bike which whilst extremely capable is without any of the joys of motorcycling. Imagine if you will, a machine created in a lab with many men with clip boards, the nc700 ticks all the boxes and meets the design criteria perfectly. Unfortunately enjoyment was not on the list.
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Offline Hoverdoc

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:24:24 AM »
I ride mine 200 miles a day 2-3days a week (commute) all highway and I feel like the X is very stable with a couple exceptions : 1. Getting the wrong spot behind a semi (tractor trailer) will cause the X to get a little squirrelly,  2. On colder days at highway speeds tar crack sealant feels like ice and the X once again gets squirrelly.              Compared tomy Cbr 600 f4  It feels like these symptoms occur due to the ride height ride position and the tires. But it is absolutely as much fun as my cbr.

Offline CaptainCranky

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Goonellabah
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »
I agree with much that has been said. I have only had mine a little over a week but so far I have not found the seat to be uncomfortable at all, even on 5 hours of riding (albeit with a couple of short breaks). I do think though, that our rear-ends are unique, and everyone will have a different experience with seats!
I did take it on the freeway in severe winds and found it much more stable than the VTR250, I actually felt like my body was more impacted by the wind than the bike under me! - but bear in mind that I don't have experience on bigger bikes, which may be even more stable.
My impression of this bike is that it is superbly engineered, the suspension eats every bump (we have crap roads around here) and it feels like the rubber never leaves the road, even on severely bad surfaces on bends. There is more than enough power - again, not like an R bike, but I'm not into that. The linear torque has seen me overtake at freeway speed thinking I am in 4th or 5th then I've discovered I was in 6th the whole time! It is unbelievably easy to throw around bends and corners, I am finding myself cornering at much higher speeds than I used to without even thinking about it.
I am 6'5" and have ordered the taller Honda screen (I like the looks of it) as the small screen just directs the wind at my helmet. apart from adding the centre stand and luggage, the only thing I will want is a louder pipe - the stock one is decidedly "stealth".
Sorry I am not very experienced, but I thoght I would give you the impressions of someone who just bought the bike. I also did a massive amount of research before I ordered it. Due to my remote location and restricted licence, I wasn't even able to test ride one! but I did spend months researching and managed to sit on one several times!

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
Hi Captain, have you seen the youtube vid where they belt a spiked bar down a stock X silencer to get a bit more growl. Seems a bit brutal, but it worked. Don't smack it in too far 'cos there's a cat in there apparently.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500x
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:37:31 AM »
spike the exhaust or do a hole saw mod. you loose back pressure and may need to adjust fuel/air mixture as the change the mods make to the bike may/or may not be too much for fuel injection to adjust and correct. me personally am done with loud pipes and just cant live with them on a daily basis
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
Absolutely, not a thing I'd want to do for the same reasons.

Offline DaveC

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Norwich, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »
I have seen the video with the so called modification. This may be an age thing but why would you want to mutilate a brand new bike? Seems to me that these boys have too much given to them on a plate and therefor place little value on what us older folk had to work hard and make sacrifices for.
Dave

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 10:02:29 AM »
Don't really think it's fair to generalize on that point, you've only got to read some of the posts to witness the exitement & enthusiasm the younger guys have for their bikes & the value they put on them. Times have changed, values differ, 'twas ever thus. Live & let live.
Bit off topic, this isn't a philosophy forum, sorry.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage