Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stage 3 build stalled - ignition barrel bolts  (Read 3892 times)

Offline surfsofa

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA & Buell
  • City / Town: Bay Area
Stage 3 build stalled - ignition barrel bolts
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:38:10 PM »
It was all going fairly smoothly. Got the rear end done and then this morning started on the front, using a combination of the RR instructions and Juan's awesome videos.

I don't know what Juan did differently, but my ignition barrel security bolts aren't budging. I've blunted TWO cobalt drill bits and still can't get the bolts out.  :157:

Now admittedly I've never done anything like this before (as is the case with almost every job in this build), but I'm still amazed how difficult it is. I guess it is a security feature after all.

Rather than keep throwing money at tools I have no idea about I've abandoned and will take the bike to a shop to get this done. Question to those who may know: Is there anything to stop me riding the bike without the front shroud/instruments attached? I only need to go a couple of miles to get to a shop and don't want to be fitting/unfitting.

I'm sure riding with a RR rear shock and stock front will be fun  :002:

Offline OldForter

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Re: Stage 3 build stalled - ignition barrel bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 03:33:19 AM »
Been there. I used a masonry bit after burning two cobalt bits. Took less than 10 minutes. Also the bit is cheaper. Perhaps try this before taking to the shop.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:35:50 AM by OldForter »

Offline surfsofa

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA & Buell
  • City / Town: Bay Area
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:17:29 AM »
Thanks. After a look on the RR thread on ADVrider I heeded the very good advice to slow things down. Not having done anything like this before I just assumed fastest was best. In this case it really isn't. Even going slow it was a lot of work, but got there in the end and today finished my build. Yaaay.

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »
Glad you got it sorted surfsofa -

To recap [for anyone else] what I suggested over on ADVrider, you need to drill at a slow speed, but with quite a lot of pressure - and John recommends you drill a smaller hole first with a 6mm (1/4") bit, then with an 8.5mm (3/8ths) bit, so the initial hole acts as a pilot to draw the larger bit in and allow it to bite the metal.

Ideally you should see a long winding of swarf - if it's chipping away, the drill is too fast or you're not applying enough pressure. At the correct speed with a fresh and quality drill bit/s - it really shouldn't take much more than a minute drilling each bolt.

It's certainly worth highlighting this issue as it is a difficult job (the most difficult part of the whole conversion I would suggest), but you have to understand that Honda designed these bolts (and specified the metal they are made of) to make it very difficult for thieves to remove/replace the ignition barrel if the bike were ever stolen. Seems like Honda did their job almost too well...

Hope that helps!

Jenny x

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb550x
  • City / Town: Swampscott, Mass
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 11:36:38 AM »
Jenny: I have very little experience drilling out bolts, but I recall the bit walked a good bit initially.  When you build up bikes do you try to make a little divot with a center punch prior to drilling or is the bolt just too hard for that to be of any help?
2013 CB500X

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matt F. >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Jenny: I have very little experience drilling out bolts, but I recall the bit walked a good bit initially.  When you build up bikes do you try to make a little divot with a center punch prior to drilling or is the bolt just too hard for that to be of any help?

Matt - read my post directly above!

If you drill a smaller/pilot hole first in the centre of the bolt (ie. the recess where the original fitting tool engaged), this helps centre the 8.5mm drill and allows it to bite the surrounding metal...

As you surmise, a centre punch is unlikely to make any impact (pun intended!)

Hope that helps!

Jx

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo >>>> link hidden <<<<
drill a smaller hole first with a 6mm (1/4") bit

Jenny x

6mm is really quite big when starting a hole into metal. Try half that if you have a suitable drill.
Brian.

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 10:08:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller >>>> link hidden <<<<
6mm is really quite big when starting a hole into metal. Try half that if you have a suitable drill.

There is already a hole in the head of the bolt (that the tool that fits the security bolt fits into), the 6mm drill bit fits in it nicely and allows you to centre the larger bit that ultimately removes the head of the security bolt.

Jx

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb550x
  • City / Town: Swampscott, Mass
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 01:11:29 AM »
Thanks -- I find this heartening that at least there's something to help keep you centered.
2013 CB500X

Offline Thumper-Darryl

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 11:29:08 AM »
 I used a Dremel with a cut off blade to cut a slot in the head of the bolt, then just turned the bolts out with a blade screw driver. Took about 10 minutes, total.

Recent Topics