Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stage 3 build stalled - ignition barrel bolts  (Read 4049 times)

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: Stage 3 build stalled - ignition barrel bolts
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 05:09:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Thumper-Darryl >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
I used a Dremel with a cut off blade to cut a slot in the head of the bolt

Brilliant. Dremel has to be one of the best inventions ever. It was a present from my daughter, at the time I thought "OK but I'll never use it" and I've never stopped using it, ten years on now.
Brian.

Offline ADVPETE

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RallyRaid
  • City / Town: Cleveland (west)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 01:45:58 PM »
I too had difficulty removing the ignition barrel bolts.  I burned up a few high-quality (and expensive) drill bits and barely made a dent on the first bolt.  In hindsight, I know I was going about it wrong.  Should have used slow drill speed and steady pressure.  Oil would've helped but it was difficult because I was working from below.  I finally directed compressed air on the bit/bolt to help keep it cool and that seemed to help.  It took the better part of an afternoon to get the first bolt out. That includes pauses for recharging the drill batteries, a repeat trip to the hardware store for more expensive drill bits, drinking beer, and very inventive cursing sessions.
  I took the rest of the day off after the first bolt was out.  I was out of beer and $$drill bits$$.
  The next day I had a go at the second bolt. This time I brought along a left hand twist 'EZ-out'. I believe it was a #5.  I engaged the security bolt head with the EZ-out and turned it slowly.  The EZ-out 'bit' immediately and the bolt backed out.  I was done in less than a minute.  I took the rest of the day off and drank more beer.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matt F. >>>> link hidden <<<<
Thanks -- I find this heartening that at least there's something to help keep you centered.
That's called a wife Matt  :169:
The search button is your friend

Offline Thumper-Darryl

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 01:35:17 AM »
Too bad that Rally Raid won't change the instructions away from drilling out these mongrel bolts, as they are SO easy to simply cut a groove into and remove with a screw driver.

Offline ADVPETE

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 02:11:14 AM »
EZ-0ut method is probably still the easiest and fastest way.  Grinding a groove into the head of the bolts is still a way better option than the drilling method suggested by RallyRaid. I sent them an email stating as much. Maybe they will update their instructions. 
Hopefully anyone starting a build will stumble upon this thread before they try drilling.

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 08:15:55 AM »
Too bad that Rally Raid won't change the instructions away from drilling out these mongrel bolts, as they are SO easy to simply cut a groove into and remove with a screw driver.

Hi Thumper' - what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another - as I think the replies on this thread has shown? - certainly when I tried to cut a slot with a Dremel and use a screwdriver, I couldn't get it to budge, so resorted to the drill method again and eventually got the ba5tards out!

I also like ADVpete's suggestion about using a suitable size ez-out (I've used something similar recently on a stuck engine-case bolt on my old Serow - and can recommend this >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login style of tool).

All I can reiterate is that John has converted a good number of these bikes now himself, and he always uses the slow drill method, which is why he suggests that in his instructions.

However, I will suggest we consider adding some alternative options for people in a future update of the fitting instructions.

Jx

Offline ADVPETE

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 03:01:14 PM »
With the proper resources (tools, time, money, beer) the job is very do-able.  It's good to know the options. Knowledge is power! 
It should be noted that if you try the drill option first and it doesn't go well, that there may not be enough of the bolt head remaining to use the EZ-out or slot method. You're committed to drilling at that point. 
   If I had it to do again I would certainly reach for the EZ-out first.  If that didn't work for any reason I would grind the slot and try the screwdriver.  Drilling would be my last resort.

Offline oldmopars

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Graham Wa
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
I have posted this before, I don't use a drill at all. Use a Apex bit one size up, SAE or a Torx bit. You pound it in with a hammer and then just unscrew it.
I will be doing another RR conversion this weekend and I might video it for the group. It is very easy.
No drilling, no Dremel and no fuss.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Graham Wa.
2015 CB500X, RR kit on the way

Offline copesetic

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: North Ogden
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »
I used a Dremel with a cut off blade to cut a slot in the head of the bolt, then just turned the bolts out with a blade screw driver. Took about 10 minutes, total.

So glad I saw this idea, after a couple nights attempting to drill out those bolts, the dremel method was literally a 10 minute job....  Thanks for the information!!

Offline gavmac

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Scenic Rim, Qld
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 07:29:38 AM »
I lucked in and wound mine out with a 1/2 inch drive T40 Torx, both out in about 30 seconds each.

Recent Topics