Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stage 3 build stalled - ignition barrel bolts  (Read 5987 times)

Offline DaMonk45

• Non Active
    • View Profile
Re: Stage 3 build stalled - ignition barrel bolts
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »
Option #1. Follow directions and Drill.
Option #2. Dremel and slot head. Use Screwdriver.
Option #3. Easy out (#5?), left hand thread. Screw out.
Option #4. Torx head (T40?) and pound in then screw out.

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 01:38:02 AM »
 :481:
I'll mention this here, now because somebody may search the subject - and it's certainly still relevant.

I just finished my Level 2 install yesterday and it went very smooth - except for those freakin ignition barrel bolts. I watched all the videos, read the instructions, everybody says drill them, easy as pie.  No, not, hell no......  After three burned up drill bits ($45), 60 miles of travel (two trips to the hardware store) and 5 hours of mind blowing frustration - one bolt came out. :232:

I knew I had read about alternate methods of getting those bastards out, but couldn't find it, then I did - here. I took a T40 torx, stuck into the hole under the second bolt, hit it with a hammer 3 times, turned it with a socket wrench, bolt out. Total elapsed time on number 2, about 2 minutes.. :157:

Rally Raid should absolutely include in it's instructions at least options to drilling.
One guy, one bike, one experience..  Don't drill...
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
:481:
I'll mention this here, now because somebody may search the subject - and it's certainly still relevant.

I just finished my Level 2 install yesterday and it went very smooth - except for those freakin ignition barrel bolts. I watched all the videos, read the instructions, everybody says drill them, easy as pie.  No, not, hell no......  After three burned up drill bits ($45), 60 miles of travel (two trips to the hardware store) and 5 hours of mind blowing frustration - one bolt came out. :232:

I knew I had read about alternate methods of getting those bastards out, but couldn't find it, then I did - here. I took a T40 torx, stuck into the hole under the second bolt, hit it with a hammer 3 times, turned it with a socket wrench, bolt out. Total elapsed time on number 2, about 2 minutes.. :157:

Rally Raid should absolutely include in it's instructions at least options to drilling.
One guy, one bike, one experience..  Don't drill...

I'm pretty sure the shear bolts holding the barrel in will be hi tensile (ie hardened)...they tend to be on most bike/car ignition barrels.  Doesn't take much to fook the mounting holes up either, if the drill wanders off centre. You can use a good quality cobalt drill, or grind a more shallow angle on a normal HSS bit (if you have a bench grinder and a good eye), but an oversized torx bit in an impact driver will usually shift shear bolts after a few 'judicious blows with a hammer' (as the Haynes manual used to say...)

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 01:34:25 AM »
The drill method works fine works fine, unless it doesn't. An as you correctly point out Jonathan, it is ripe for bad endings.

My only point, which I made poorly yesterday in my rant, was that Rally Raid just needs to include in it's instructions a simple statement along the lines of, "some customers have reported success removing the ignition barrel bolts by driving a T40 torx into the bolt head and then removing it with a wrench. Other's have used an Easy Out, some have even cut a slot using a dremel tool and screwdriver. If you choose to try an alternate method to drilling, so so before you start with the drill."

What's the harm in telling people something short of drilling might work? Once you start with the drill, you are out of options.

Fyi, because I'm sure somebody will say it, I used the best cobalt bits my Lowes Home Improvement had - and my drill rpms (the last two anyway  :114:) were very slow.

Oh well, that train has left the station, I'm done with it. I do like the set up so far, just waiting on my wheels.

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 02:14:05 AM »
If you watch the latest build video for the CB500X kits [link on the website at the top of the CB500X parts section], at 23min 45sec onwards (the triple clamp fitting stage) it does indeed suggest the Torx bit method in preference to drilling:

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
Well there ya go...  I did watch that one weeks ago, but guess I missed it. I used Juan's videos, which were excellent, even if my bolts didn't come out like "butter".  :008:
Thanks JMo & Rally Raid

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 03:08:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
Well there ya go...  I did watch that one weeks ago, but guess I missed it. I used Juan's videos, which were excellent, even if my bolts didn't come out like "butter".  :008:
Thanks JMo & Rally Raid

Yes, Juan's videos are excellent, but you have to remember that he filmed those back in 2015 when the kit was first launched, and there have been a couple of changes since then (wheel spacers, fork top-hat inserts, things like that) - so while the principle is the same, some of the details are slightly different these days, which is why Greg and Adam put together the workshop series of videos to reflect the latest changes.

That said, Gregs bike is an earlier model, and the 2019 update to the Rally-Raid hub design (so they fit all years, including the 2019 bikes) together with the differences in the suspension kits means there are a couple of further changes to consider, which should be reflected in the revised fitting instructions soon. Fortunately the 2019 model suspension kit is far simpler and quicker to fit, as the OEM triple clamp does not need to be replaced like it does with the earlier bikes.

Jx
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:09:19 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 08:58:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Yes, Juan's videos are excellent, but you have to remember that he filmed those back in 2015 when the kit was first launched, and there have been a couple of changes since then (wheel spacers, fork top-hat inserts, things like that) - so while the principle is the same, some of the details are slightly different these days, which is why Greg and Adam put together the workshop series of videos to reflect the latest changes.

That said, Gregs bike is an earlier model, and the 2019 update to the Rally-Raid hub design (so they fit all years, including the 2019 bikes) together with the differences in the suspension kits means there are a couple of further changes to consider, which should be reflected in the revised fitting instructions soon. Fortunately the 2019 model suspension kit is far simpler and quicker to fit, as the OEM triple clamp does not need to be replaced like it does with the earlier bikes.

Jx

Guess we're all waiting for the first batch of rear-ended 2019's to roll in.... :008:

Recent Topics