Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: bar end woes  (Read 2572 times)

Offline dusty500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x 2016
  • City / Town: wimborne Dorset
bar end woes
« on: May 01, 2016, 04:30:44 PM »
I've purchased some Givi hand guards & tried fitting them today. What a nightmare.....first the mirror stalks were on far too tight including the adjuster nuts (adjuster nuts are reverse thread if anyone is thinking of doing the same), then the right hand bar end bolt is immovable. I mean TIGHT. Left was tight but went in the end, but the other side WILL NOT BUDGE. It doesn't help that you have to hold the weight tight with one hand & the bolt head is a philips head NOT allen key (hex head for those over the pond) A trip back to my H dealer is coming!!

Offline Grim Rider

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Codsall
Re: bar end woes
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 04:32:42 PM »
Before anyone else comments; if you have not already, try a search on here for the best way to undo the bar end bolts holding the weights on....
2017 BMW RnineT Racer S; 2001 BMW R1150 GSA; 1990 BMW K1; 1998 Suzuki DR350S; 1978 Laverda Jarama; 1977 Honda Camino;1962 AJS 250 CSR
www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com

Offline dusty500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:56:44 PM »
Thanks grimrider, loads of info with a search, I'll try again when I get a chance. It appears to be a common complaint!

Offline webrown02

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 cb500x
  • City / Town: Nicholasville
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 03:24:33 AM »
I took the bar end off today by hitting it with a hair dryer for three minutes and it unscrewed easily. Use a towel to hold the hot bar end. 

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 04:42:09 AM »
You guys are savages!

Seriously, as Grim suggests, this issue has been talked about a lot recently...

It's not difficult to remove the bar end weights if you know what to look for - more info here:

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,4139.msg40107.html#msg40107

Jx
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:46:21 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
Unfortunately I removed mine before the new information was posted.

The left weight screw would flex to the point of breaking, but not give. It took a propane torch and an impact driver to get it to pop free. The threads on that screw were twisted and appeared rusted. It was replaced.

With the torch and impact driver the right screw came free easily.

Thanks to the forum I have learned easy the way to remove bar end weights and the front sprocket cover. I now make it a habit to search the forum before attempting any maintenance.  :148:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 09:21:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by dusty500 [+]
I've purchased some Givi hand guards & tried fitting them today. What a nightmare.....first the mirror stalks were on far too tight including the adjuster nuts (adjuster nuts are reverse thread if anyone is thinking of doing the same), then the right hand bar end bolt is immovable. I mean TIGHT. Left was tight but went in the end, but the other side WILL NOT BUDGE. It doesn't help that you have to hold the weight tight with one hand & the bolt head is a philips head NOT allen key (hex head for those over the pond) A trip back to my H dealer is coming!!

That isn't a philips.It is a JIS screw.JIS is short for Japanese Industrial Standard,and requires a JIS driver to prevent rounding the head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#JIS_B_1012

Offline dusty500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:52:52 PM »
Well, thanks for the help guys. The givi guards are now fitted following the advice on here. Hope to repay one day.     

Offline garlicbread

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Southern Calif
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 03:17:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Nortoon [+]
The left weight screw would flex to the point of breaking, but not give. It took a propane torch and an impact driver to get it to pop free. The threads on that screw were twisted and appeared rusted. It was replaced.

With the torch and impact driver the right screw came free easily.

Can confirm this method worked well. Resorted to it after spending ours on the damn clip. Finally got it out with lots of cursing and heavy metal soundtrack, but that didn't actually help to get out the bolt anyway, and there was no need to get the whole assembly out of the handlebar to install my handguards.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage