Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust recommendations  (Read 15501 times)

Offline DomC

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X Black
  • City / Town: Norwich
Re: Exhaust recommendations
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 05:48:57 PM »
Thanks again, Paul, I just wanted to be sure! It is a smart-looking pipe and from your description has the sound I'm after - bit more character and presence without being antisocial.
Ride safe!  :152:

Offline Squier 51

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: St Paul MN
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 05:19:34 AM »
Just wanted to add my recommendation for the Scorpion Serket Taper. Quality silencer, including the hardware provided and a proper welded on centerstand stop on the mid-pipe. Fitting took 5 minutes tops. It also eliminates the problem I had with the heel of my boot resting on the heat shield of the OEM silencer. I got the stainless steel version from Giant Loop which shipped the day after I ordered for $524.

Took out the dB killer before install and I doubt I would ever put it back in. The sound is incredible! Much deeper tone than stock even at idle. Much louder too without being anti-social. The bike sounds like a proper motorcycle now vs. the lawnmower sound it had. A little snap, crackle and pop on deceleration, and a mighty BRAP when you pin it. Not so loud that it gets annoying for me cruising at 60-75 mph.

I often surprised drivers in cars when passing them before because they could not hear me coming. They will hear you coming with the Scorpion w/o the baffle but not startled or annoyed for being too loud. Two thumbs up!
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login 2014 Honda CB500X with Centerstand, Handguards, Heated Grips and Scorpion Serket Taper Silencer

2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 Black

Offline Grim Rider

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Codsall
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 05:49:10 AM »
Can recommend the Akrapovic - that and Yoshimura are the best quality of all the aftermarket silencers I have seen, but reflected in the price of both.
2016 BMW RnineT Scrambler X; 2001 BMW R1150 GSA; 1990 BMW K1
1998 Suzuki DR350S;1977 Honda Camino; 1962 AJS 250 CSR
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Doro

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »
My stainless Mivv Suono arrived today. It may just make it possible for me to stick with the CB rather than be forced to buy a much faster bike which uses much more fuel and costs much more to insure, and twice as much to buy! I'm pleased with it so far - it seems to make it easier to burble around at sedate speeds, rather than wanting to push things faster all the time. Will post a pic or two tomorrow.

Offline Doro

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »
Went for a ride today with the baffle out - 30 seconds to remove/install. Doesn't seem to make it a lot louder. The Mivv is much louder than stock with or without the baffle, and the bike passes the schoolboy test, with all observed schoolboys swinging their heads to look at what's coming from quite a distance away. I noticed some other road users turning to look as I approached also, so road presence appears to be nicely enhanced.

I don't wear earplugs, and I didn't find the extra volume intrusive at all. There was no droning at highway speeds. So all in all I'm still happy with the pipe. My only quibble is the little bolt pinching the muffler strap together was about 5mm too short to do the job properly.

Offline RSDA

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Maine
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 01:18:25 AM »
I have the Akrapovic.

$$$, but a classy change. Fit/finish is excellent. Tried the baffle out for a couple of minutesridiculous.
Current: '14 CB500X. Previous: V-Strom 650; Bonneville; CBR250R

Offline GotMojo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CB500X RRL3
  • City / Town: Orange County
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 03:15:31 AM »
I picked up the Scorpion Serket Taper to fix a heel clearance issue.  I have my pegs lowered by about 1"and could not stand on the pegs without also standing on the exhaust.  Heel is mostly clear.  I hit the spring bracket a little but it's much better than before.

To this middle aged ear, It's loud.  It's REALLY loud compared to stock.  I hate loud pipes with a passion and this setup is about as loud as I can tolerate.

Save yourself a ton of dough.  Buy direct from England.  The pound is in the toilet.  I got mine for $400 delivered.  GL is great but they are charging waaaay too much given the exchange rate.

Offline roadscum

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: North Port, Fl.
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »
I paid the full GL price  several months ago, silly me. Did you buy direct from Scorpion or do you have a another contact in England you can can share with the inmates here??

Paul

Offline phiz

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500x
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »
I've got the Danmoto remote adjustable. The remote is kinda junky, hard to route and impossible to mount anywhere that is useful. I tossed all that and used a washer to keep the adjuster in place. I can easily set hooligan mode with a hex wrench, or close it off to sneak out in the early am without waking the neighbors like a normal adult.

I also dropped the mount an inch over what they recommended so it stays in nice and tight. Adding a $3 muffler pipe clamp for the center stand stop finished it off.

Wide open the sound is really great, and I get nice popping when i decelerate. Fully closed it has more rumble than the stock but still pretty quiet. The cost was about $140 shipped.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline GotMojo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CB500X RRL3
  • City / Town: Orange County
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2016, 07:56:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by roadscum >>>> link hidden <<<<
I paid the full GL price  several months ago, silly me. Did you buy direct from Scorpion or do you have a another contact in England you can can share with the inmates here??

No secret.  I ordered it from RR.  There may be cheaper options today so search around.  Even with shipping buying from Europe is significantly cheaper than from the US in many cases.

I saw a note in Advrider that GL is going to adjust their prices "slightly" to account for the exchange rate.  Not sure what this really means or when it will take effect.

Recent Topics