Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rally Raid wheels tubeless conversion  (Read 5846 times)

Offline TeeTwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Glen Allen, VA
Re: Rally Raid wheels tubeless conversion
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 10:59:18 PM »
It is a loooong while since I initiated this post...but since I have just put new tires on I thought it worth updating.

Put new K60's on. I love these tires...some people hate 'em. The ones pictured below have 12,000 miles on them and I just replaced them. They have 3,000+ on the rear, more left on the front. The Outex tubless kit has been faultless in the 12,000  miles since installation.

So before mounting the new front tire I added the Outex 25W kit to the 19 inch RR spoked wheel. That was a week ago, no leaks observed at the time of fitting; holding pressure. The RR wheels were 2+ years old, there was a fair bit of corrosion in the wheel well mostly around the spoke nipples - it took 2-3 hours with a Dremel wire wheel and wet/dry paper to get the finish ready to accept the kit. Better to do it on the new wheel (as was the case with the rear.) Of course RR now offer tubeless wheels as an upgrade option.

Reading again the other contributions to the thread I remain happy with my choice (no punctures on the CB500X yet while front was tubed rear tubeless). The K60's are miserable beasts to get on and off the rims, so darned stiff. As suggested I carry the tools, know how to use them and have the manual tire changing book of expletives to aid in the mounting process (book marked with Band-Aids). I carry spare tubes anyway - breaking the bead on the K60's is OK, getting the bead to seat (as noted by others) with a trailside compressor  :745:...you need to use a tube. But if you have tubed tires you likely carry a spare tube anyway but will never have the simplicity of a using a gummy.

Anyway, each to their own. This compromise works for me; the only time I had a puncture on a K60 was from a nail, it went flat overnight in Denali National Park campsite - it was 25F when I woke up to find the flat. I can't imagine getting a K60 to cooperate in those temps if it was tubed.

Cheers T2

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:13 AM »
Nice update. I am also shifting over to the tubeless camp. A friend of mine is doing a RTW and he posts his updates pretty regularly (almost daily) on the socials. Guy is always fixing punctures, especially in South America now. No thank you!  :008:

Overall thoughts on the RR wheels?

Offline TeeTwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 12:59:16 AM »
Hi ThirtyOne.

The RR wheels (2016 vintage - I see RR have made a few changes along the way) have been rock solid. Probably about 3,000 of the 12,000 miles on them have been on unmade roads, some being pretty rocky (the wheels performed better than the rider on a couple of occasions  :003:).

All the spokes on the front were tight. I put the new K60 on by hand (as recommended by Outex for the relatively narrow WM front rim) and had the bead set and balance done at the local Honda shop. The wheel remained true on the balancer.  The rear I just had the shop do the tire change, but all seems good with that too.

The powder coat does mar pretty easily, but cosmetics don't bother me. I would buy them again.

Funny you mention your buddy and his puncture history as my bike is being air-shipped to Bogota, Colombia mid-January, hence the new rubber and the front tubeless conversion (and my limited mileage on this bike since ownership). I have just done a 12,000 mile all around service on it, which will be in a different post in maintenance.

Cheers.

T2

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 02:04:56 AM »
Good to hear. From what I've read it appears that RR's motto is "over-engineer"

Safe travels in South America. I'm going to get myself down there one of these days.

Offline TeeTwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 02:36:28 AM »
...I should also have mentioned that I checked all the wheel bearings. Two front and three at the rear...all good, very smooth. I had replacements on hand but did not fit them as it was unnecessary.

T2

Offline manray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Puerto Escondido
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 06:04:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by TeeTwo [+]
Hi ThirtyOne.

The RR wheels (2016 vintage - I see RR have made a few changes along the way) have been rock solid. Probably about 3,000 of the 12,000 miles on them have been on unmade roads, some being pretty rocky (the wheels performed better than the rider on a couple of occasions  :003:).

All the spokes on the front were tight. I put the new K60 on by hand (as recommended by Outex for the relatively narrow WM front rim) and had the bead set and balance done at the local Honda shop. The wheel remained true on the balancer.  The rear I just had the shop do the tire change, but all seems good with that too.

The powder coat does mar pretty easily, but cosmetics don't bother me. I would buy them again.

Funny you mention your buddy and his puncture history as my bike is being air-shipped to Bogota, Colombia mid-January, hence the new rubber and the front tubeless conversion (and my limited mileage on this bike since ownership). I have just done a 12,000 mile all around service on it, which will be in a different post in maintenance.

Cheers.

T2

T2, off topic but how much is/was air shipping the bike from VA to Bogota and with which airline?

Offline TeeTwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 09:32:11 AM »
Manray - I am riding the moto to Miami and shipping from there using CargoRider to make the arrangements (Bogota based, under the guidence of Veronica Mosquera who is well known in the ADV'er community). Price dependant on the final crated volume/weight. It will be north of $2,500 all in (crating, US customs, DG certification, air, customs clearance in Colombia etc etc).

:821: T2

Offline manray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 04:32:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by TeeTwo [+]
Manray - I am riding the moto to Miami and shipping from there using CargoRider to make the arrangements (Bogota based, under the guidence of Veronica Mosquera who is well known in the ADV'er community). Price dependant on the final crated volume/weight. It will be north of $2,500 all in (crating, US customs, DG certification, air, customs clearance in Colombia etc etc).

:821: T2

That's quite a fee to get your bike to Colombia.  Riding your bike North to Toronto, Canada and using Air Canada Cargo might yield you a cheaper price.  Last time I checked, the price was around $1800 CDN which is about $1350 USD.  You get a couple hundred dollars discount off that quote if you also fly Air Canada to Bogota.

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »
Just because I'm procrastinating. It looks like Glen Allen, VA to Toronto is 575 miles = 10h according to Google Maps. One long day or two shorter days. A big way to start a trip, but to save $1000 or so, not shabby. 

Offline manray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Just because I'm procrastinating. It looks like Glen Allen, VA to Toronto is 575 miles = 10h according to Google Maps. One long day or two shorter days. A big way to start a trip, but to save $1000 or so, not shabby.

Glen Allen, VA to Miami is 957 miles = 14hr according to Google Maps.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage