Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 head bearings  (Read 5059 times)

Offline strider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Rally Raid
  • City / Town: Maldon
2016 head bearings
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:32:45 PM »
My 2016 X now has just 2,000 miles on the clock and has developed a "click" somewhere around the front end, as I wheel it about, turning the bars or applying front brake.
If this was on one of the many, many other, mostly used bikes I've had, I would immediately suspect that the steering head bearing were slightly slack, but on such a new bike?
The bike has had the Level 3 upgrades, fitted by Rally Raid, but I do not see that they would have disturbed these bearings.
Without a manual (Haynes expected in the post any day) all I can do is suss out that there are 2 different sized lock rings on the steering stem, under the top yoke.
Does anybody know what size C spanners are needed for these?
Or am I jumping ahead? Is this something to be tackled under warranty?
Advice please. I don't fancy sweating into London, to perhaps be told it isn't covered.

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: 2016 head bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
Hi Strider - it is almost certainly loose head bearings...

The bearings are pretty cheap (and the old ball design, rather than taper-roller type). and there is virtually no grease in them from the factory.

You mention you've fitted the LEVEL 3 Rally Raid kit (which includes a new top triple clamp) and there is every chance that things slackened off slightly when you replaced the triple and re torqued the steering stem nut.

I've found even a quarter turn can result in the movement/noise you are hearing. The simplest thing to do is to loosen the steering nut (and the pinch bolts for the top triple clamp) and check the top cap of the bearings/steering tube is snug - at a push you can do this with a screwdriver and a light tap from a hammer); then torque the steering stem nut, and finally tighten the triple clamp pinch bolts around the fork tops*

*Note. always do it in that order - if you tighten the pinch bolts to the forks first, then you won't torque the steering stem properly, and that could be why the bearing cup backed off a little...

If you want to do a proper job, you could remove the steering stem and grease all the bearings properly before reassembly (I've just been doing this myself this morning), and/or fit the All Balls Taper Roller bearing kit which is what I intend to do next time the front end is off my bike.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline strider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 11:00:19 PM »
Thanks Jenny, particularly for the heads up on the All Balls taper roller sets. I will be ordering some.
In my first post I said that my Level 3 parts were fitted by Rally Raid, (not by me). So its them rather than myself (if anybody), who messed up the tension on the bearings when fitting the top yoke.
As there seem to be 2 lock rings on the steering stem under the top yoke, I thought it unlikely that they would be disturbed by the replacing of the top yoke. But I'll give John a call tomorrow.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:25:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
You mention you've fitted the LEVEL 3 Rally Raid

No he didn't, he said you fitted it !
Brian.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 03:11:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by strider [+]
The bike has had the Level 3 upgrades, fitted by Rally Raid, but I do not see that they would have disturbed these bearings.
I think she miss read or just missed that part.  :430:

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 04:24:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
No he didn't, he said you fitted it !

*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
I think she miss read or just missed that part.  :430:

Let's not start arguing about the nuances English language please...

...and If you want to be 100% accurate - then I didn't fit the kit, since I'm 5000 miles away in the USA at the moment.

No one is apportioning blame here (at least I'm not) - I was simply clarifying that Striders bike was not as it came out of the factory, but that the top triple clamp had been removed and replaced, and therefore it is perfectly possible that the pressure on the head bearings was relaxed sufficiently to cause a degree of play, which subsequently needs to be tightened up.

This is particularly relevant to a brand new bike, where there is is always a degree of settling once a few miles are put on. In addition, if your dealer changes out parts from the OEM specification (eg. accessory screens and exhausts) then this is even more likely...

This is why most manufacturers suggest a 600 or 1000 mile service on new bikes - the CB500X is rare in that regard in that they suggest the first service is now only required at 16,000 miles - although it is certainly a good idea to do a first oil change at 600 miles of course.

If Strider is not confident to make that adjustment himself, then I'm sure that John/Rally Raid can help him make the necessary adjustments.

Jx

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:26:42 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline strider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »
Thanks Jenny. As I hope you gathered, I'm not putting blame on anybody. I'm fully confident, having messed with steering head bearings on more bikes than I can recall. But not having a manual yet (though Haynes have sent some out, but not to me yet), and not having a paddock stand, or a centre stand fitted yet, I am hesitant to start prodding about on a new and rather unfamiliar bike on my own.

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 06:02:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by strider [+]
Thanks Jenny. As I hope you gathered, I'm not putting blame on anybody. I'm fully confident, having messed with steering head bearings on more bikes than I can recall. But not having a manual yet (though Haynes have sent some out, but not to me yet), and not having a paddock stand, or a centre stand fitted yet, I am hesitant to start prodding about on a new and rather unfamiliar bike on my own.

Don't worry, I realised what you were saying - as I say, any issues like this are an excellent opportunity to expand on for anyone else reading the forum...

I'm sure John would be more than happy to advise/help if you want to get it sorted quickly - it's a nice ride up to Bedfordshire of course.

Let us all know how you get on!

Jenny x

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Let's not start arguing about the nuances English language please...

Jx

Oh dear, I knew this was a mistake.

Dear J, I humbly apologise, I was suffering from lack of sleep, I was not in full control of the keyboard. I won't do it again, honest.

Now please put that gun down.

Bx
Brian.

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
Oh dear, I knew this was a mistake.

Dear J, I humbly apologise, I was suffering from lack of sleep, I was not in full control of the keyboard. I won't do it again, honest.

Now please put that gun down.

Bx

;o)

No guns, well, only ones that shoot love bullets to the CB crowd xx

Recent Topics