Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front wheel noise  (Read 241 times)

Offline vanderbale

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Front wheel noise
« on: May 25, 2019, 07:05:19 PM »
I had my front wheel changed at a garage recently and I noticed a high pitch whine seems to be coming from the front wheel. I'm wondering if it was put back correctly.

Is the spacer on the front left the right way round? Picture of my one link below.

https://ibb.co/C5pP56L
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:07:41 PM by vanderbale »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Front wheel noise
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 10:32:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by vanderbale [+]
I had my front wheel changed at a garage recently and I noticed a high pitch whine seems to be coming from the front wheel. I'm wondering if it was put back correctly.

Is the spacer on the front left the right way round? Picture of my one link below.

https://ibb.co/C5pP56L

I think the recess in the spacer should sit just inside the lip seal...but don't quote me on that! As for the high pitched squeal, I can't imagine the spacer being the wrong way round would cause a squeal... the spacers press against the wheel bearings and the hub rotates around these..

If the axle isn't up to torque it's possible the bearing shell can rotate against the hub collar (long internal spacer) but it's really uncommon. It's possible that the axle has been over torqued and the bearings have been cooked but it's more likely to be a pad/rotor issue...could be as simple as crap on the rotor, sticky brake pad/piston....

You might get away with a quick squirt of brake cleaner...better still, pull the wheel, pull the pads (clean and dress with some emery)
Squeeze the front brake really gently to expose more piston and clean around the seals
Clean up the rotor
Bit of anti squeal on the back of the pads when you reinstall,
A smear of grease on the axle can't hurt.

Assuming the pistons aren't sticky and the axle is torqued to spec if it's still squeals, it sounds like dry/worn wheel bearing (s)...

What sort of mileage has it done?

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/500-MOTO/CB/2016/CB500XAG/Frame/FRONT-WHEEL/81302/F_14/2/19666

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:38:55 PM by Jonathan »

Offline vanderbale

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 11:24:30 PM »
Thanks for this, I'll try the brake cleaner first, otherwise I'll take the wheel off. Would lithium grease be alright for the axle and pads?

I don't think the mechanic torqued the axle to honda spec and he dropped the front right spacer on the floor (4-5ft drop) while the bike was on the lift stand but it doesn't look damaged. I regret not taking before and after photos would of been useful.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by vanderbale [+]
Thanks for this, I'll try the brake cleaner first, otherwise I'll take the wheel off. Would lithium grease be alright for the axle and pads?

I don't think the mechanic torqued the axle to honda spec and he dropped the front right spacer on the floor (4-5ft drop) while the bike was on the lift stand but it doesn't look damaged. I regret not taking before and after photos would of been useful.

Don't worry, the spacer won't be damaged. Lithium grease will be fine for the axle. It doesn't actually need lubricating as such, it just prevents corrosion and helps during assembly. Brake pads get really hot, so you'd need a high melting point grease...often referred to as anti-seize or copper grease....you can even use heat sink paste. Car accessory shops often sell little pouches or tubes of the stuff. Again, it's not 100% necessary; your brakes will still work fine without, it just keeps the pads and pad shims free to move, so they don't squeal during use.

eg. https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/wurth-brake-paste-sachet-5-5g/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI34mjj9u44gIVS7DtCh1ocAgFEAQYAyABEgK9XfD_BwE

Recent Topics