Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The CBXpo ride 2016 - 12 days of dual-sporting in the wild wild west!  (Read 2312 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: The CBXpo ride 2016 - 12 days of dual-sporting in the wild wild west!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 01:29:55 PM »
Saturday 21st May (Day 8) Mormon Lake AZ : 0 miles!

Showtime!

Today was all about taking it easy, meeting a few familiar faces and being introduced to some new ones, and typically spending a lot of the time chatting about Giant Loop products and the trio of Rally Raid CB500X Adventures we had casually parked next to the booth.

We were busy all day, and yes, I have a silly sunburn to show for it, so for now here are a few highlights:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
photo. Overland Expo started out as primarily a 4x4 Overland event, and many of the major manufacturers and camper conversion companies have some impressive rigs on display - this one for example built on a small forward-control truck chassis by All Terrain Warriors. However, looking is all most of us are ever likely to do - this sort of camper costs around a quarter of a million dollars!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. similarly this converted Hummer H1 (despite the bed-liner paint job) must have cost a pretty penny!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. This was likely to be a little more affordable... a cool stainless steel fold-flat fire-pit for Jeep fans!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. This was available for hire (well, you probably wouldn't want to own it!) - beach party in style!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. This made me laugh - another eye-catching vehicle on the Findlay Toyota stand - a FJ Cruiser golf-buggy (which was more often out and about doing the rounds around the showground!)

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Moto-row, once little more than a side-show gets more and more popular each year - this year saw big-name brands such as Alpinestars, Klim, and KTM (with a full demo fleet) in attendance, together with the RawHyde BMW off-road school offering training and ride-outs each day.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. this was a clever conversion on the Jesse Luggage stand - a top-box that can slide back and forth depending on if you have a passenger or not, complete with solar panels to charge any electronics stored inside.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. the little CBs face-off with the giant GSs...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. The anti-GS in all it's glory... C90 pioneer Ed March paused from his current trip from Alaska (via Canada and the US east coast, and back again via the TAT) to South America to drop by the Overland Junction stand on Moto-row.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. I got to meet the legend himself - he later poked fun at a number of riders who felt it essential to stand on the pegs as they rode out of the car-park, waving a placard that said: "Sit down, you look silly" - priceless!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Ed's partner in crime Rachel Lasham was also there on two wheels again (her C90 having recently been converted back from the ATV trike), complete with HID headlight hidden inside a Minion - again, another Ed March masterpiece!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. More home-brewed madness, this time from a rider who had literally used Samsonite suitcases as his luggage!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. As the afternoon turned to evening, traditionally a number of the manufacturers host their own VIP parties and barbecues... Juan had already blagged this cigar earlier, and after dinner we gate-crashed the Fox (suspension) party for beer and a souvenir glass (honestly, they were there for us to take home ;o)

In all honesty we retired reasonably early that evening, as the plan was to leave the Expo in good time the following day (to beat the rush) and visit the Grand Canyon on our way back north... otherwise the plan for the next few days (and our ultimate journey home) was refreshingly undecided... we were going to wing it.

More soon!

Jenny x

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 01:34:53 PM »
Sunday 22nd May (Day 9) Mormon Lake to Page AZ : 229 miles.

A new vocabulary!

I have to admit, after three nights camping, I was looking forward to finding a motel this evening, even if it meant riding in the dark (yes, spoiler alert - it ended up that way). It's not that I don't like camping, and I have to say it was utterly refreshing to have my phone battery die two nights previously and have no easy way of charging it (so I didn't!), while I am also quite happy wet-wipe washing and peeing behind bushes as required - it's more that camping at 7000+ft in what is a worn-out summer-weight sleeping bag is what got both tiring and freezing very quickly...

In an effort to inspire the guys to get a wriggle on that morning, I was packed and my bike loaded a little after 8am. It's not as if we had a particularly rigid agenda now (my work was essentially done - being primarily in charge of the route and logistics heading towards Expo), but at the same time, we were all around 1500 miles from home, and conscious that real-life was still out there, somewhere, waiting for us to return.

I'd previously planned a second ride-out from the Expo to the Grand Canyon (Desert View point, my personal favourite), which included some promising dirt-roads/trails en route. Since we had decided to continue homeward together for the time being, it made sense to incorporate this excursion as part of our journey north that afternoon.

Having finally fulfilled our respective commitments at the showground before leaving, we topped off our fuel in Flagstaff, stocked up on sandwiches and wound our way north across the high desert towards the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. at the fuel stop on our way out of town... how many wheel-nuts?!

The trail network that criss-crosses the plateau is extensive, although the terrain itself it not especially challenging - mainly fast graded dirt roads, that in the dry at least, would make an excellent rally stage - with enough ambiguous track junctions and occasional hazards to keep you on your toes. I have to say, I really enjoy riding the CB500X Adventure in this sort of wide open country - it really is exactly the sort of terrain we built this bike for - covering a lot of unsurfaced ground quickly and with the minimum of rider input required.

Knowing the sort of [fast] riding we were likely to encounter that afternoon, I had already snicked up the rebound damping a touch on leaving the Expo, and sure-enough felt I'd really got the CB dialled in now - the only real input required was to weight the pegs every so often as the trail carved it's way left and right through the desert.

Then, without warning, a familiar feeling... the rear wheel started to feel heavy and the bike immediately required more input to turn. Damn, a puncture.

I rode on a little way, even though it was obvious there would be no shade - but at least it helped to break the bead, on one side of the rim at least. Stopping by a suitably sized rock (we don't need no stinkin' centre stands!), two straps and I quickly pulled my luggage bag off, lifted the seat and set about utilising the various tools I had squirrelled away in the various nooks and crannies underneath...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. "That's OK Jen, it's only flat at the bottom..."

I have to say, replacing the tube was actually pretty straightforward - I was already confident my Motion Pro T6 tyre levers would do the job efficiently, and their heavy duty Rim Shields I'd bought with me (to save scratching my precious gold wheels) worked perfectly too. However, I feel I can comment with some authority that their 'Bead Popper' (which looks like a small plastic beach spade) is a waste of time, well, unless you plan on digging a latrine perhaps... We soon resorted to using the side-stand trick with a second bike, and that recalcitrant bead popped off a treat!

The culprit was the rusty remains of a fencing nail, and while the tube had initially deflated gently, my fruitless search for some shade had resulted in what was now an inch long rip in the tube.

Fortunately the wide rear rim makes removing and replacing a tube simple enough, and the tyre was reseated with similar ease... it then took almost as long to get the damn wheel back in the bike! - and I fear my companions have now been introduced to a whole new dictionary of cusses. Had I been alone, then I'm confident I would have eventually completed the repair myself - but I certainly have to extend my gratitude to them both in making the whole procedure a lot easier with some extra pairs of hands - thank you!

So, an hour or so delay aside, we rolled up to the Desert View overlook late in the afternoon, and despite the haze, the 'Canyon at this point was as dramatic as ever:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Of course it's been photographed a million and more times from this angle, but for good reason - the view along two axis of the Grand Canyon from here is breathtaking!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. The Watchtower visitor centre at Desert View - this is a fantastic building and facility, and personally believe it is an excellent example of National Park investment.

It was also fun to bump into Chris (on another CB500X) and his buddy (on an F650) who we'd already met over the weekend at the Expo, and had had the same idea to take in this particular view in the late afternoon sun... I trust your onward journey home was both safe and rewarding.

Mindful there was little in the way of [affordable] accommodation anywhere within a hundred miles or more, we elected to head north to Page at the head of Lake Powell near the boarder of Arizona and Utah - the twilight zone between Mountain and Pacific time zones (certainly my GPS couldn't decide which was best) - book in to another overpriced Motel 6, turn on the shower, turn up the heating, bed down, and finally begin to decompress after what had been a relentless few days.

Jx

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 01:50:08 PM »
Monday 23rd May (Day 10) Page AZ to Bryce Canyon UT : 226 miles.

Utah Saints... and sinners.

I was pleased the guys had wanted to take this route north, and fundamentally that we all had a day or two longer to explore before we absolutely had to be home for our respective commitments. Harold had only one request, that we visit Bryce Canyon (that he'd only ever driven past before), and perhaps spend one more night under the stars - the masochist!

From my own point of view, this dove-tailed perfectly with my desire to explore one of at least two dirt roads/trails that run north from the AZ/UT boarder towards Escalente; plus the opportunity to finally ride the (unpaved) backcountry byway: Hell's Backbone which runs around the perimeter of the Box-Death Hollow Wilderness (great names eh?). Linking these two key 'stages' would also be the wonderful hwy 12 that winds along the backbone of the Grand Staircase National Monument (with which I am familiar), and of course ultimately we would aim to reach Bryce Canyon before sunset, for the opportunity to marvel at that natural wonder in the fading light.

It was a tall order all in one day perhaps - but whatever happened, I was confident these guys would be in for a real treat, and as importantly, it would undoubtably be a fitting scenic finale for our overland adventure, before we broke for home the following day on primarily paved roads.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Heading north out of Page (that is the Glen Canyon Dam in the background, with Page beyond), a scenic overlook above Lake Powell.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Wahweap Marina. As the second biggest lake in North America, it's probably worth mooring a boat here - even though it's a thousand miles from the Ocean.

Just a few miles from here up hwy 89 is the blink-and-you'll-miss-it town of Big Water... however, I suggest you pay close attention at this point, because at the far end of an otherwise unmemorable industrial park, is the start of one of the best backcountry byways in the region (if not the whole of Utah) - Smokey Mountain Road stretches for over 75 miles of remote wilderness, and offers some stunning scenery throughout.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Geological wonders early on...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. The 'road' soon climbs to an impressive altitude, affording fantastic views over the surrounding area (if you look closely you can still the the chimneys of that huge power station near Page that is also in the photo at the top of this post).

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. the road twists and turns relentlessly, but for the most part is in good graded condition.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. You know you're in Utah when the rocks start turning red.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Juan being brave - it was a LONG way down from these columns!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. This would make a fabulous camping spot! We'd been riding a good two hours already and yet we can still see that bloody power station!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. You can just see the road we'd just ridden winding around the headland in the valley below - stunning!

As the trail crested and reached the plateau, finally Arizona was away behind us, and the desert here started to remind me of Morocco...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. A suitably shady spot to take a break from the rising temperatures, and would make another lovely camping spot.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Very reminiscent of Morocco...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo (courtesy of Harold). "Although if this was Morocco, a guy would appear out of nowhere and ask for a cigarette right about now..."

As we continued northwards carving our way through the desert, as with yesterday south of the Grand Canyon, I could imagine this route being the perfect rally stage, and my mind wondered off for a moment or two... thinking "what if?"

Once we'd reached Escalante and refuelled ourselves on some excellent hamburgers at a roadside restaurant (the architecture and spartan decor very reminiscent of that you find in rural Spain or Mexico), it was time to head east towards Boulder, and to briefly embark on one of the finest stretches of pavement in this part of the country:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. the scenery either side of hwy 12 between Escalante and Boulder UT is as dramatic as it is unique...

>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Thank goodness someone decided to build a road though this!

As sweet and intense as it was, our primary purpose for heading in what was completely the opposite direction (albeit temporarily), was to reach the eastern end of Hell's Backbone - another backcountry byway (unpaved) that, rising to over 9000ft is typically closed during the winter and much of the spring - and so that we might also maximise the off-road route during our return west towards Bryce Canyon.

Initially Hell's Backbone appeared to be just a rough (washboard) gravel road though some shady forest, not unpleasant, but hardly the 'must-ride wonder' that I'd been led to believe from friends who have been lucky enough to pass through at the right time of year... However, as soon as the road started to climb appreciably, it all became clear:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo (courtesy of Harold). The lengths we go to to bring you this story!

>>>> link hidden <<<<

And once we reached the bridge itself - wow!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. It's 1500ft straight down on either side!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. The original Trans-Am 500 bike in it's natural habitat - miles from anywhere!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. The bridge that crosses 'Hell's Backbone' - a narrow rocky ridge that separates Box-Death Hollow from Sand Creek (on the eastern side) - was originally built in the 1930's by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) using two felled pine trees, over which a brave local drove his excavator to help finish the job. By the 1960s the original bridge had become dangerously unstable, so was replaced with a more modern equivalent, and again more recently the bridge is now constructed from steel and concrete. You can still see the remains of the original structure below.

The ride around Box-Death Hollow actually takes a lot longer than you might think, and having [almost] had our fill of epic scenery for one day, we elected to complete the loop to Escalante and take the highway to Bryce Canyon (approximately 40 miles west) in an effort to reach there before sundown...

Such is the effortless way the CB500X flick-flacks instantly between off-road adventure ride and effortless highway mile-muncher as required, we reached Bryce barely minutes before sundown, and headed straight for the Inspiration Point overlook... it did not disappoint.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. having forfeit snagging a campground on our way in, we raced to reach the rim just before sunset...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. the clouds made the scene even more dramatic...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. one of Utah's many natural wonders...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. It might look like the end of the world, but in reality it was only [effectively] the end of our trip...

>>>> link hidden <<<<

As the sun finally set, I was all for heading a few miles further west and finding a nice warm motel (of which it turns out there are many) in Panguitch - not least as it was over 8000ft here on the rim of Bryce Canyon, and that technically we'd snuck into the park without paying (the toll booths having already shut up for the night by the time we arrived...) and it would be $30 each in the morning!

In any case, regardless of our status as surreptitious sightseers, every single one of the tent camping spots were already full throughout the park, so I was confident I'd be snug and warm within the hour as we headed out of the entrance - when Harold spied a series of teepees for rent at the side of the road. It was a nice idea actually, especially as the teepees came complete with a picnic bench and a fire-pit - unfortunately both of these were located outside the tent, and it was damn freezing inside!

Our modest bundle of firewood didn't last long, although Harold subsequently scavenged a pallet from an empty pitch nearby, and we were soon roasting our toes around a roaring fire. We were then joined by Sarah - another CB500X owner who'd initially spotted us on our way into the campground, and who was riding around the western States with her boyfriend on a V-Strom on their first big motorcycle trip together - who was now brandishing a handful of beers in exchange for our collective wisdom regarding where to go and what to see in Utah. It was a lovely evening, chatting and drinking, and trying desperately not to think about how cold it might be once the fire had gone out.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Thanks to Harold's epic scavenging, we were warm for a while at least...

I finally went to bed around midnight, while I fear the boys stayed up chatting and drinking way into the small hours... Certainly there were a lot of empty bottles on the table when I emerged from the teepee the next morning - amazed that none of us had frozen to death in the night if I'm honest!

Jx

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »
Tuesday 24th May (Day 11) Bryce Canyon UT to Rachel NV : 284 miles.

Run for home...

I woke just before dawn to the sound of traffic entering the park to watch the sunrise. Since I'd slept in pretty much all my clothes anyway, there wasn't much to do other than emerge from the teepee, and make a bee-line for my Jet-boil with the sole intention of sacrificing my last two sachets of coffee.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. It has been below freezing at 7000+ft last night...

However, not only was my bike seat frozen, but so was my water bag! I expressed my displeasure at this temporary set-back, before begrudgingly wondering off to find some more firewood.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. At that moment, I freely admit I meant it!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. My once trusty gloves were also doing little to improve my mood.

On finding another abandoned pallet, I dragged it back to camp, and set about it with Juan's folding saw (the 'Silky Big Boy' - ahem, you may not get quite what you imagined if you try and order that online ;o) - fortunately the fire from the previous evening still had a few glowing embers, and soon I had it roaring again:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Juan had elected to sleep in his tent (rather than the huge and freezing teepee) in an effort to minimising body-heat loss, and supplementing it with some hot rocks from around the campfire in the bottom of his sleeping bag - clever!

Soon my water bladder and defrosted enough to release its precious cargo, and not long after, things were slowing becoming right with the world again. Sarah and her boyfriend popped over to say goodbye on their way out, and Juan in his inimitable style, grabbed the chance to add another segment to his extensive video diary.

Although we essentially planned to stay on paved roads today (and indeed for the remainder of our respective journeys home), Harold was concerned that his engine guard bolt had come loose again, and I agreed we ought to try and effect a more substantial repair - but first, breakfast.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Heading into Panguitch with the intention of finding a suitable bike shop/workshop (where we might drill out the previously temporary repair) we all spied this rather delightful cafe, and had exactly the same* idea...

*I say 'same' - personally speaking I was equally enticed by the prospect of hand-scooped ice cream, even if it was barely 9am ;o)

On chatting to the owner, he subsequently offered us the use of his own power-drill, so in a 21st century homage to Mondo Enduro, I set about working in the gutter while the trucks thundered by:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo (courtesy of Harold). Juan is so small, I just noticed that he is actually hiding behind me in this photo!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Admittedly a luxury most motorcycle travellers tend to do without... We borrowed this drill, and fortunately there was a hardware store just across the street to buy everything else we needed, including a pair of longer M10 bolts and locking nuts. Job done!

It was pretty much lunchtime by the time we were finished replacing the bolts, so what better way to say thank you to the owner than a quick round of sandwiches (and a trio of hand scooped ice creams of course!), before we finally hit the road.

Harold was keen to get home as quickly as possible now (due to family commitments), so in an effort to avoid the huge storm clouds gathering a little way to the north, I suggested we follow our original plan just a little while longer, and head west first through the mountains and past the Brian Head ski resort (which is the highest ski base in Utah). While this meant we managed to avoid the worst of the weather, inevitably a trip maximum altitude of 10,499ft as we crossed over the pass above meant, well, you really need to see Juan's video of what conditions were like up there!

The rest of the afternoon would be all about making up some miles... It was unrealistic that any of us would be able to make it home that night, but at least we could make good progress in the general direction - with the intention of waking early and finishing off our respective rides the following day. Once we'd left Cedar City behind and crossed into Nevada, Harold elected to head directly north now and brave the wet weather that was continuing to hang ominously over the centre of the State.

And then there were two...

Meanwhile, Juan and I continued in a west/north westerly direction, though some wonderfully remote countryside:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. It's a good idea to gas up whenever you can out here... for example, this sign is at the beginning of hwy 375 the 'Extra Terrestrial Highway' that passes close to the infamous military installation Area 51. We'd already ridden 85 miles since our last refuel, but fortunately there was a gas station a few miles south of this junction at Ash Springs (I mention this specifically if you are planning on riding in the area).

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. There is not a lot to do in this corner of the desert, unless you have a mountain of sheet steel and a welder perhaps...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. I always like riding in the late afternoon, long shadows and long roads...

>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Close encounters - was it simply the sunset... or a spaceship?!

As the sun once again started to slip away beyond the horizon, we finally rolled into a seemingly random collection of trailers and ramshackle houses gathered round a crusty diner in the middle of a vast desert plain. The sign simply said: "Rachel Nevada - all species welcome!"

Jx

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »
Wednesday 25th May (Day 12) Rachel NV to San Jose CA : 584 miles.

The big push...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. The 'Little A'le'Inn' is an institution in these parts. It is also the only diner, bar and motel for a 100+ miles in any direction, so you kind of get what you're given - including no chance of breakfast before 8am I'm afraid...

I imagine if you are passing through these parts for the first time, then you'd choose to stay here just to see what it's all about - that is certainly what Juan and I had decided to do - and I have to say it is fun, in a surreal 'Am I part of some bad B-movie?' kind of a way...

The accommodation is basic, but seemingly clean enough - and from my perspective at least, anything would be better than that freezing teepee from last night!

The menu is not particularly extensive either, although fortunately both Juan and I are simple folk who were more than content to grab a burger each just before the kitchen closed the night before, and got our heads down in good time for an early start today.

I'm always amazed how early a good number of Americans get up each morning - and subsequently expect the service industry to prove a full breakfast on every street corner... In Rachel however, there is clearly no such hurry to wake up - even if you do run the only restaurant in town - and at 7am with at least 500 miles to go today, we could either wait an hour, or forfeit breakfast there and press on up the road and find something a little later that morning. Fortunately, their in-room coffee was freshly ground and an excellent brew - so some compensation for otherwise missing out on my pancakes.

>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Packed early and ready to roll...

There were no signs of life (alien or otherwise) for over a hundred miles, until we rolled into the historic mining town of Tonopah (Tono-pah, To-no-pah, Tonop-ah? - again, see Juan's video ;o), where we gassed up the bikes and the attendant suggested the Mizpah Hotel just a block next-door would be an excellent choice for breakfast, with the restaurant open to non-residents.

>>>> link hidden <<<<

I have to say, it looked rather fancy, but we were made most welcome and soon embarked on the largest breakfast I think either of us have ever had!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Seriously, there were only two of us eating - we laughed when our waitress brought out the second plate each, and then the third with a stack of toast on too!

On our way out we took the opportunity to look around the main public rooms, and were subsequently invited by the manageress to take a quick tour of the basement and listen to the various ghost stories that inevitably get attached to such historic buildings...

>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Well, it is Nevada after all...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Originally built in 1907, the Mizpah is the oldest (and grandest) hotel in town, and many famous guests have stayed here over the years - and seemingly left their cheques on the wall to the toilets rather than actually paying their bill!

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Perhaps most interestingly (other than the story of the murdered prostitute and the two dead bank robbers who had tunnelled into the vault with a greedy third member), this picture shows the original street level frontage which was now the wall of the basement we were standing in - the whole street having been built up one level outside as the town expanded. In addition, Tonopah purportedly has over 500 miles of mining tunnels underneath the town itself.

Back on the road after this thoroughly entertaining diversion, I was conscious that yesterday had been the first time in a dozen days that we'd ridden entirely on the pavement - and having passed though Ton-op-ah once before, knew of a fast and easy dirt road that would cut the corner of the otherwise endless highway we were now on.

So for our 'last hurrah' this trip, we turned north onto the wide gravel road and give the little CBs one last what-for as we ragged across the desert at a steady sixty miles per hour...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. The trail rejoined the highway not far from Middlegate Station - one of the old Pony Express and Stage Coach stops through the heart of Nevada on what is now hwy 50 - 'The Loneliest Road in America'.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. The bar/restaurant had a ceiling full of dollar bills too...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. the ubiquitous pool table...

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. ...and served what was quite possibly the largest hamburger in the world - 'The Monster Burger' (you get a T-shirt and your name on their hall of fame if you can eat it all yourself!)

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Don't be silly, both of us were still full from that huge breakfast - it was this guy who had ordered it to share with his wife...

Juan wanted to wrap up his filming with a couple of short* interviews, and some incidental shots, so we enjoyed a cold drink before heading outside to film the final segments, and to finally say goodbye after what had been almost two weeks of intense adventure riding.

*I say 'short', Juan will tell you how I can gas-on once I'm on a roll ;o)

And with that, it was time to take one last photo at Middlegate, before hitting hwy 50 west, and where ultimately I chose to take Interstate 80 over the Sierras to avoid a huge storm brewing further south.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. It had been another epic CB Adventure.

Postscript.

When Harold and I first discussed the idea of embarking on a week-long adventure ride to the Overland Expo, I wanted to try and incorporate as many elements of the Trans-Am 500 trip I'd completed last summer, into a more manageable time frame - aware that most people (not least Harold himself) simply cannot devote two months or more to adventure riding around the United States (even though I strongly recommend you do whatever you can to make that happen at least once in your life!).

As such, Harold felt this condensed itinerary might also appeal to some of his customers and friends, and extended an invitation on the understanding that this was by no means any sort of 'official' or sanctioned event - we had said all along it ought to be about like minded individuals getting together and enjoying each others company, while inevitably they would also get to experience some of the best (and not least diverse) dual-sport adventure riding this part of the country has to offer.

Certainly I'm confident that all of us involved this year now have some life-long memories to take away, and I feel proud I've been able to play a small part in realising that.

It's early days of course, but I sincerely hope we'll be able to do something similar again for the Overland Expo next year - I know that John from Rally Raid is itching to explore this part of the United States, and of course what better bike to do it on than a CB500X with one of his Adventure kits fitted eh?

I really hope you've enjoyed this story just as much as all of us involved have enjoyed bringing it to you. I also hope, as if you ever needed any more convincing, that we've shown just what an interesting and varied trip you can undertake on a bike like this - and that our journey particularly illustrates yet again what an excellent all-round, all-terrain machine the CB500X Adventure can be.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. We went way 'Beyond Starbucks', and then we came back... such is the nature of this particular beast.

Toot toot for now!

Jenny (and Piglet of course) xx

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:11:46 PM by JMo »

Offline reflexx

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Riverside
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »
thank you for this.  For months I've been listening to the ARR podcast and reading all that I can on the RR stage 3 CB500x, your travels, and at the same time, making my plans.

No just a matter of WHEN, not IF.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA-G
  • City / Town: Hexham
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »
Thank you Jenny - your 'blog' is inspirational and makes the whole adventure so accessible.
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 03:28:16 PM »
Aw, and similarly - thank you guys for your kind words!

I have to say, it was a lot of fun riding with the guys last year - and Juan and I also rode up to Oregon earlier this summer to join Harold at his annual Giant Loop Hot Springs weekend, and hope to do so again soon!

In the meantime, I've actually just got back from another epic solo cross-country trip (this time up in to Canada and the bordering US States), and I'm in the middle of putting together an new ride report and associated slide-show presentation too...

So stand-by to be equally inspired (I hope!) very soon!

Jenny xx

Recent Topics