Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Avon Trailrider  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
Re: Avon Trailrider
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 10:59:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Night_Wolf [+]
Recently installed the Trailriders on a friends 2014 X & on my own 2014 X; purchased because of a review I saw on them from a RTW ride with a cpl Triumph Scramblers running them where they got 30,000 km  on them. So far so good on how they have handled.

On my second set with 8200 miles already on the rear. Looks like it will easily do another 3000 miles.  :152:

Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

https://www.youtube.com/user/irishrover63

Offline Night_Wolf

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Okotoks
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 07:39:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover [+]
On my second set with 8200 miles already on the rear. Looks like it will easily do another 3000 miles.  :152:

Thanks for the reply

Offline BikerBill

• CB500X Member
  • Returning Biker after 15+yrs
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Herts & Beds
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 09:21:55 PM »
So, looking for new tyres (see my other post today)

Did the old internet search, came across these guys, 25,000km on a set of Avon Trailriders....globe trotting....follow the links at the end for each subsequent review as the kms mounted up...

http://earth-roamers.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-new-avon-trailrider.html

Looks like the way to go.....
If it aint broken, it will break, best learn how to fix it!
Puch 50 (82-83), DR250 (85-87), CB100 (91),  Diversion 900 (91-95)

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 11:51:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by BikerBill [+]
So, looking for new tyres (see my other post today)

Did the old internet search, came across these guys, 25,000km on a set of Avon Trailriders....globe trotting....follow the links at the end for each subsequent review as the kms mounted up...

http://earth-roamers.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-new-avon-trailrider.html

Looks like the way to go.....

:460:
Never read that review before, but it's the only tyre I will use on the CB500X now. Had 2 sets so far and my rear tyre now has 13,200 miles on it and I should get another 1000 miles from it.
So many love the Michelin P4's & P5's, they are a great tyre also and I have ran with P4's on this bike, but not many want to try the Avon's.
I use them on my cars now, great tyre and very hard wearing.

Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

https://www.youtube.com/user/irishrover63

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 12:36:54 AM »
A less positive opinion of the Avon Trailriders...
4000 miles on my first pair and they performed very well in all kinds of weather on pavement. Worked well on dirt roads that weren't muddy. Today did 50 miles on well maintained gravel roads (first trip on gravel with them) and had three flats on the rear. All rough punctures (like from a rock), all near the center of the tread and all in different locations on the tire. Stopped each time, plugged the tire and pumped it back up. None of the plugs leaked. After the third flat I was out of plugs so stuck to pavement and rode 100 miles home with no more problems. Probably won't buy these again.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline Marv_

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 10:09:25 PM »
Real shame about the punctures Jack, almost sounds unusual.

I've now put about 1300 road miles on the trail riders I had fitted to my CB500X and they're performing really well. Needless to say, they're a massive improvement over the standard tyres the CB500X comes with.

I noticed the 2019 CBR500R comes fitted with Michelin Road 5s. Shame they don't fit better tyres to the CB500X as standard.

Offline Jaws

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500 X, CBR1100
  • City / Town: Theford
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 02:16:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by drjack [+]
A less positive opinion of the Avon Trailriders...
4000 miles on my first pair and they performed very well in all kinds of weather on pavement. Worked well on dirt roads that weren't muddy. Today did 50 miles on well maintained gravel roads (first trip on gravel with them) and had three flats on the rear. All rough punctures (like from a rock), all near the center of the tread and all in different locations on the tire. Stopped each time, plugged the tire and pumped it back up. None of the plugs leaked. After the third flat I was out of plugs so stuck to pavement and rode 100 miles home with no more problems. Probably won't buy these again.
Jack
Strewth Jack ! How unlucky is that !!
Been using Trail Riders on my GS's for the past several years inc LOTS of off road shale type riding in the alps, and never had a puncture ( ok, could be luck )
Three guys I go with also on Trail Riders and again no problem
John
Currently living in an old farts body

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lawrence, KS
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 01:17:07 AM »
Well I was perfectly happy with them until that ride. Just had Pirelli Scorpion Trail STRs mounted. They look really cool, we'll see how they do. The guy who mounted them did say there was a lot of tire dust inside my rear Trailrider, from the tire breaking down. May have just been a bad or old tire. I never checked the date of the tires when I got them.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 11:10:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
That's odd by my experience. I usually do 2 fronts to one rear. I usually get 5000 miles to a rear, give or take.
The original tyres I might have got 8000 miles on the rear, the front a lot more.
All these years this nonsense has been sitting here. I assume most people would guess I meant two rears to one front. In fact the second rear is already in use.
Brian.

Online Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2019, 03:23:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
All these years this nonsense has been sitting here. I assume most people would guess I meant two rears to one front. In fact the second rear is already in use.
When I first read that, I thought "Wow, he must do a lot of braking!".  Then I said, "No, he just got mixed up!  I know what he meant!"   :821:

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Recent Topics