Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dragstrip action  (Read 1444 times)

Offline wardie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X,
  • City / Town: ohio
Dragstrip action
« on: August 09, 2016, 12:10:34 PM »
Last Friday I attended an event at Keystone Raceway in Pa. While watching some bikes rip the quarter mile I was asked if I wanted to make a pass??? Like a kid in a candy store my eyes went wide and I said why sure!

It's been many years since I've been on the 1/4 mile and completely forgot about the glue they use in staging. Crap when I put my foot down in staging it stuck! I figured when I took off either my boot would come with me or it wouldn't. Fortunately it came with me. I did two passes each in the 15.9 range around 83 mph.

Cycle World (2014) says the bikes runs 14.03/91 mph in the quarter. Now I may have been a little slow not trying to dump the clutch and wheelie but I can't imagine being almost 2 seconds off the mark? I do realize the test riders are like 150 lbs. and the conditions at the track are controlled so I'm ok with what the bike did.

Anyways I had fun doing it safely on the track and I wanted to share with the forum. Wardie

Offline selftaught

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Dragstrip action
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 02:25:40 PM »
Thanks for the post.  I had also seen those 'test condition' numbers once myself when googling, and had no idea how they would play out in the real world. Now I do!

This confirms my theory that I love the X for many things, but speed ain't one, which is fine since I traded in a VTX 1300 to buy it :) and haven't regretted it a day.

I have a narrow driveway and to take the X out requires a 3-second spin maneuver using the side stand. The VTX required an embarrassing 12-point turn I was always terrified my neighbor would see and ridicule me for. And I would have deserved it.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »
Full marks for optimism   :745:

Wonderful little bike it is, drag bike it ain't.
Brian.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 06:58:55 AM »
It is always a rush to run down the strip.
An inmate over at cbr500riders.com forum runs 13.2 @100mph runs on his modified 500. He reports 57 hp at the rear wheel with only bolt-on modifications while preserving 64-69 mpg economy.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage