Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rally Raid 3 Suspension settings  (Read 2436 times)

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X RR3
  • City / Town: Sydenham, London
Rally Raid 3 Suspension settings
« on: September 26, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »
Hi all,

as I acquired RR3 kit 2nd hand so it obviously has been tweaked to somebody else then me, there are some questions lurking....

How should I setup the suspension? There is some documentation from Rally Raid how to setup rear shock but what about the front forks, rear shock settings.... those 2 screws on the reservoir :)

Is there something simple like you weight that much so set the front & rear preload to that?

As you can see, I'm completely new to this :)
---
Honda CB500X Rally Raid 3 aka Sisu
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb550x
  • City / Town: Swampscott, Mass
Re: Rally Raid 3 Suspension settings
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 01:48:14 PM »
I think this should help:

>>>> link hidden <<<<

I've put a little pre load on mine, but left everything else as it came.
2013 CB500X

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »
Hi Tasso - hopefully you received the TracTive shock manual and tool along with your 2nd hand kit, and I believe the base settings are listed in there (if not, wind the damping clickers all the way to the right, then count how many clicks there are as you rotate the adjusters to the left, then set them in the middle position - I want to say there are around 18-20 clicks...) - edit. see link below.

Regarding preload, front and rear, regardless of how the previous owner had it set, you ought to be looking at around 25-30% sag, once you are sat on the bike in all your riding gear.

As a rough guide, on the 170mm travel LEVEL 2/3 bikes, that's about 40mm of sag.

The current [non-cartridge] Rally Raid fork kit is pre-set at the factory regarding damping, you only have external controls for preload, which makes things very easy to fit and forget... If you do feel the damping is a little light/fast for your weight/riding style you can use a slightly thicker oil (ie. 7.5w rather than 5w), and/or if you'd like them to feel slightly firmer for example, then changing the oil/air gap will help...

As an example: if you want the fork to feel slightly firmer intially, you need to reduce the air gap by adding more oil - in the case of the longer travel LEVEL 2/3 bikes, we recommend 450ml per leg as the base setting, so perhaps try it with 460-470ml and see how you go from there?

note. There are PDF fitting and setting instructions on the Rally Raid Products website for the LEVEL 2/3 suspension kit - towards the bottom of the page >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x

ps. with regard to adding/setting rear shock preload - the rate of your spring will dictate how much each turn of preload will add/reduce.

As a very basic illustration, using the 110Nm spring (medium) - each full turn of the threaded collar (1.5mm pitch) will add around 15-16.5Kg of supported weight. ie. if you want to carry 30Kg of luggage, add two turns.

Hope that helps!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:55:16 PM by JMo »

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:46:01 PM »
Hi Jenny,

thanks a lot for detailed reply, very useful indeed.

I have not got the kit with the Tractive tool or Manual. Looking at videos I think I can replace the tool with some tools laying around.

Manual will be replaced by your reply & gathered resources.

For anybody looking for some information:

RR official information:
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Great article with RR Shock section at the lower part from Chris:
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Video explaining adjustments by blancolirio:

Equipped with all that knowledge I'll have fun weekend  :087:

:305:
---
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 03:55:44 PM »
Hi Tasso - no problem, happy to help...

However, be careful regarding any alternative tool for adjusting the preload ring - TracTive designed their bit to fit exactly in the holes so that you get a snug fit and proper leverage.

We've had one or two people make a mess of their preload rings by trying to use allen wrenches and screwdrivers (and goodness knows what else) - there is no need to force it or get medieval.

I'd suggest you drop Rally Raid a line and ask if you can purchase a spare correct tool from them/TracTive.

Do a proper job as they say...

Jx

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:11:35 PM »
"there is no need to force it or get medieval" fair enough ordering the tool.

---
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 05:46:59 PM »
I've done some measurements and adjustments today equipped with the Tractive tool.

Problem with Tractive tool is that on the ABS bike you really can't use it with shock on the bike. The ABS does not give you much clearance to adjust the shock. One solution is to use the bit from the Tractive tool and use socket to have a bit more leverage, this worked for me quite well, no brute force is needed.

Numbers we need for RR3 (all in mm):
Rear wheel travel: 190.5
Front wheel travel (5.5inch + 30mm RR): 139+30 = 159
Medium spring
78kg rider & gear

FrontguideFrontRearguideRearoriginalRearadjusted
B846604604
C588580
D795560554
Free sag (B-C)17 (10%)19 (10%)16 (8%)24 (12%)
Ride sag/height (B-D)51 (30%)5157 (30%)44 (23%)50 (26%)

This means front forks are spot on the 30% Rider sag which is great.

I've adjusted the rear shock to be at 50 which is recommended by RR. However I can't really get to the values recommended by Tractive. I know those are guidance values and RR has it +- 8mm.

In theory I should increase sag more (decrease preload about 2 more turns) to get from 50mm closer to 57mm but that would completely put off the free sag which should be 19 but even now it's 24. Seems I have to choose to get one right or the other?

I know that the numbers will be different based on the way how you measure (I followed RR PDF) but does these numbers make sense look OKish?
---
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Galejt

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Roanoke, VA
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 03:43:16 PM »
Interesting. I have the RR Lvl 1 kit on a '15 XA and was wondering how I was going to adjust the preload on the Tractive shock. Are you using your hands to turn the socket? Is the weight of the bike off the rear wheel at this time as well?
Thanks!

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 05:12:08 PM »
Hi Galejt,

yes I used my hands to turn the preload ring, with the socket it's possible. Bike was on the stand with rear wheel off the ground, so that the shock is fully extended.

Tasso
---
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 05:58:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Galejt >>>> link hidden <<<<
Interesting. I have the RR Lvl 1 kit on a '15 XA and was wondering how I was going to adjust the preload on the Tractive shock. Are you using your hands to turn the socket? Is the weight of the bike off the rear wheel at this time as well?
Thanks!

Hi Galejt - the TracTive shocks come with a proper tool for adjusting the preload ring (the thing lat looks like a screwdriver handle with a series of bits in the end of the handle).

I suggest you use that - or as Tasso suggests - at the very least the bit that comes with the handle, otherwise you are in danger of damaging the aluminium ring.

It is a slow process on the ABS bikes admittedly, although you can help the situation by removing the footrest hanger on the left hand side.

Unweight the suspension by lifting the rear wheel off the ground as you surmise and Tasso suggests.

If the shock has been on the bike for a while, you may want to give the threads a squirt of WD40 or similar penetrant oil to help the ring turn on the dry/dirty threads.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

ps. Note. the other option is to remove the shock entirely, and adjust it on the bench (with the tool) - if you consider the thread pitch on the shock body is 1.5mm, then on a Medium 110Nm spring shock, one full rotation of the preload ring equals approximately 16.5Kg of weight - ie. adding two turns supports 31Kgs at the same level as before.

I would add that the TracTive shock is a high quality unit with excellent damping characteristics throughout it's stroke. Once the bike is set at approximately the correct preload you really don't need to make any further adjustments - it's really only noticeable if you add a significant weight (ie. a passenger and/or a lot of luggage) for a particular trip for example.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 06:08:20 PM by JMo »

Recent Topics