Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Valve clearance - has anyone needed to adjust?  (Read 13170 times)

Offline Markdarren

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Valve clearance - has anyone needed to adjust?
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2017, 09:46:30 PM »
Did my V/C today and what a royal pain in the ass.
The whole thing was a pain, luckily @ 15k miles (on a 2016, ABS UK bike) all were still in.
As I travel 15k per year this will unfortunately will be a yearly pain......
Please Mr Honda design something more technican friendly for the future......

Offline Pariah Dog

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 cb500x
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 06:45:02 AM »
I have my valve check to look forward too right when the riding season ends (about another month). I'm already at the required 24,000km but hell I don't think another 1000-2000km is liable to kill it. It seems to run quite nicely. This past spring I adjusted the valves on my old '99 Ninja 500. It has the adjusters and no pissing around with shims required. I wish they could all be like that.

Offline RoryD

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Nairn
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »
My not-long-acquired '14 CBX has done 16.5k mls and that valve clearance check is due. But Im currently very pre-occupied with a new house refurb, so I phoned up the local motorcycle garage for a quote to check the valve clearances/ adjust as necessary. Mechanic told me that in his experience Hondas virtually never need adjusted and hed almost guarantee that the clearances would be fine, and I really should save the cash and not bother  :003:  So I called the nearest main Honda dealer, and the lad there suggested it would be unlikely to need clearances adjusted at 16k, and that I could easily wait until 22-24k miles  :114:

Weird to have mcycle workshops turning the work away (both said c.4hr job) incl the Honda dealer suggesting I needn't stick to the maintenance schedule. Especially as this forum seems to suggest the valve clearances are quite often out by 16k mls. The bikes running great and I don't think the engine has had a hard life so, as a compromise, I'll probably delay the plugs / valve clearances for a few thousand miles and attempt it DIY at the end of the season - once the house is back together and weve moved in!

Seem pragmatic or rash to you? (I aim to keep the bike for a long time).

-   RoryD

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2018, 05:52:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by RoryD [+]
My not-long-acquired '14 CBX has done 16.5k mls and that valve clearance check is due. But Im currently very pre-occupied with a new house refurb, so I phoned up the local motorcycle garage for a quote to check the valve clearances/ adjust as necessary. Mechanic told me that in his experience Hondas virtually never need adjusted and hed almost guarantee that the clearances would be fine, and I really should save the cash and not bother  :003:  So I called the nearest main Honda dealer, and the lad there suggested it would be unlikely to need clearances adjusted at 16k, and that I could easily wait until 22-24k miles  :114:

Weird to have mcycle workshops turning the work away (both said c.4hr job) incl the Honda dealer suggesting I needn't stick to the maintenance schedule. Especially as this forum seems to suggest the valve clearances are quite often out by 16k mls. The bikes running great and I don't think the engine has had a hard life so, as a compromise, I'll probably delay the plugs / valve clearances for a few thousand miles and attempt it DIY at the end of the season - once the house is back together and weve moved in!

-   RoryD

Quite a few of us have had our valves run tight early, especially on the '14. Mine started getting out around 7500 miles. By 9000 miles, my bike was becoming unrideable. It causes running issues and can lead to burnt valves.

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,3988.0.html

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX, VFR, R1150R
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by RoryD [+]

-   RoryD

Up to you really. If you notice the bike running different (fuel economy, exhaust pops, all that kind of stuff) then that's a sign it is overdue. But far worse crimes have been committed against motorcycle maintenance.
Hawk

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 03:06:56 AM »
See my post in this thread from Oct 24, 2016. My 2014 X had one intake tight. If you're willing to pay, go for it. Forum history suggests it would not be unusual to find at least one out of spec at 16 kmiles.

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Member
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rainsville, AL
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 03:54:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by rhobgoblins [+]
Just finished my first valve check at 16,000 miles. All very close to spec and no changes required. I would just like to say a big thank you to Mr Honda for making this the most fiddly, time consuming and difficult job to get at that I've had to do on the bike so far. The step by step guide posted on this forum was invaluable.

I used to be able to set the valve clearances on my old BMW (screw & locknut) in about 30 minutes. Thank god I won't need to go back there for another 16000. No wonder dealers charge so much for this service.

Valve CHECK (not adjustment just the check) on my VFR800 required removing and replacing the camshafts on both cylinder banks (V-4) twice.  Had to drain the coolant and remove the radiator crossover pipe as well.  You have to insert special tooling into the VTEC valve followers to lock them to the valve for the check, and then remove them when you're done.   The desmo valves on my Ducati are a bit fiddly and you have to take the rear shock off to get at the back cylinder which means you can't use a swingarm stand to hold the bike up.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:57:40 AM by Bama_Rider »
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X

Offline RoryD

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Nairn
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 09:09:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by goldfever [+]
Up to you really. If you notice the bike running different (fuel economy, exhaust pops, all that kind of stuff) then that's a sign it is overdue. But far worse crimes have been committed against motorcycle maintenance.
Bike ran entirely fine for the rest of the season, and when I finally did the valve clearances at approaching 20k miles I found the inlets were fine but all exhaust clearances were tight @ .20-.22. Only had confidence to attempt the valves thanks to detailed guidance/pictures from Gills here, and from Ren on Bikes and Travels
 - RoryD

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage