Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: RR L3 - Trail stand substitute for center stand  (Read 2315 times)

Offline TeeTwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Ridgefield, CT
RR L3 - Trail stand substitute for center stand
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:54:41 PM »
As we all know mounting the RR bash plate means that a center stand cannot be fitted. This makes trail side tire repairs a little tricky if the wheel needs to be removed, especially if you are solo. The device in the pictures is the Enduro Star Trail Stand, which shows suitable lift points to get the CB500X RR L3 rear wheel (lock the front brake with the velcro strap supplied with the stand) or front wheel (rear wheel locked in gear) elevated to allow wheel removal (or chain lubed).

When I saw this stand online I came back to this forum to look for a user report, nothing came up. So I bought it anyway  as it was pretty cheap ($39.50 shipped US) and seemed like it would work. As you see it does and is very easy to deploy (obviously the surface needs to be decent - flat stone/puck for example). No more worrying about getting the bike up trail side and no hunting for rocks, branches etc etc. 10 inches long when disassembled, skinny and light weight...ideal for my tool tube.

linky... >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Cheers. T2

Online Matt F.

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb550x
  • City / Town: Swampscott, Mass
Re: RR L3 - Trail stand substitute for center stand
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 11:12:02 PM »
I've been meaning to order one of these for ages.  Thanks for the reminder and the link.  I just picked it off.

2013 CB500X

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »
Nice find TeeTwo - this is the sort of thing I've been suggesting to people, nice to see a photo of it in action on the CB too!

Alternatively, I see BikeMaster are also promoting their own more heavy-duty adjustable version the 'Lift-stick' which is another option:

>>>> link hidden <<<<

Thanks for the link to the Enduro-Star version, I've been looking for one of those myself...

Jx

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:28:16 AM »
Those things look like something straight out of the 'how not to' health and safety manual!!

I quite often look at Level 3 bikes and wonder if I should have gone that way but I then I remember that I can't have a centre stand and feel glad I went for the Level 1!

Offline Grim Rider

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Codsall
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 12:20:27 PM »
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login - cheaper still.

I have used something similar to help oiling a chain but not sure if i would want to rely on it while taking the wheel out.
2017 BMW RnineT Racer S; 2001 BMW R1150 GSA; 1990 BMW K1; 1998 Suzuki DR350S; 1978 Laverda Jarama; 1977 Honda Camino;1962 AJS 250 CSR
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline wardie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X,
  • City / Town: ohio
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Those things look like something straight out of the 'how not to' health and safety manual!!

I quite often look at Level 3 bikes and wonder if I should have gone that way but I then I remember that I can't have a centre stand and feel glad I went for the Level 1!

how much off road riding do you do? Just curious and wondered if the RR Stage 1 kit was a marked improvement for the front end?

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 01:28:46 PM »
Definitely a marked improvement front and rear. It stops the banging and crashing over potholes and rocks etc and means you can press on a bit as long as there are no big bumps to hit. With decent tyres it's perfect for gravel tracks or Forrest roads. It really comes into its own on bumpy Tarmac though, sometimes you can just hit the right speed on an uneven road and it just seems to float along! Great in the bends as well, the standard suspension used to easily get upset if you hit a bump mid corner but with the Level 1 it's much better. It's still a firm ride but it's a huge improvement over standard and doesn't have the wallowing of some big, tall traillies.

I don't do a huge amount of off roading and respect the fact that it's a big heavy bike and I'm usually on my own so don't ride fast. I'd buy an XR400 if I wanted to do that! I'm happy plodding along and greeting ramblers and horses with a smile, not scaring them to death!

Grim is spot on about those props, OK for a quick chain lube but you wouldn't catch me anywhere near a 200kg bike on one of those with a wheel out.

Offline TeeTwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »
Hmmm....you need to think horses for courses when looking at this product.

If I am in my garage would I use it? Of course not and obviously I wouldn't need to though I tested it and took pictures there. (Perhaps my post erroneously gave the impression I would use it routinely, though it is more stable than it looks and with two other points of ground contact it doesn't carry anything close to the full weight of the bike). In contemplating  riding solo in remote places on the RR L3 (as I have done on a center stand carrying R12GS) it is obvious  that an event may require wheel removal so what are the alternatives? a) Don't go, b)  hope for a cell signal and call service or a friend  :745:, c) hope to find something lying around in the field to act as a prop to do the job or d) carry this lightweight custom designed prop and use it sensibly? I choose d) and if a suitable item of nature was lying around (rock for example) I would brace under the bash plate; always keeping my legs out from under the machine.

The screw jack type is clearly beefier but not easily packable (and looks like it would take up too much space IMO) but maybe better for home chain maintenance on the L3 if you have nothing else (I do).

Keep in mind I looked at p2-16 of the owners manual and still put on non-Honda accessories and ride. Carrying this stand is just another risk mitigating action I choose to take. Don't like it, easy don't use it... but pick a different option a), b) or c).

:821:

T2

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »
I must admit I was just thinking about my comments on the trail stand in the garage just now and was coming to the same conclusion. If you've got no other option I suppose it's best to have something with you that will do the job (with some risk) rather than something even riskier on the trail.

It's probably because I've either had ultra light bikes that you could lift onto a rock or any heavy bikes have had centre stands. Having said all that, I don't even carry a puncture repair kit these days so even with my luxurious centre stand I'd still be walking!!

Offline TeeTwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:45:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 >>>> link hidden <<<<
...... I don't even carry a puncture repair kit these days so even with my luxurious centre stand I'd still be walking!!

Japes....you just tiggered another option I had not previously thought of...so here is choice

e)  carry a good pair of hiking boots and walk out....

I think I will pass on that :007:. Hopefully, I will never have a full on recovery incident (yep, I carry a PLB...but will gravitate to SPOT).

:821: T2
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:59:37 PM by TeeTwo »

Recent Topics