Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Experienced rider considering the 500x  (Read 7664 times)

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
Re: Experienced rider considering the 500x
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
I don't understand this 'biker' idea that a bike that is slightly smaller engine wise is considered a 'beginner' bike. I drive a 1.4 car but nobody looks at me a bit strange when I tell them what I drive, just because it's not a 3.0l no one classes me as a beginner driver. But tell people that you've got a 500cc motorcycle and you always get the same 'why have you got that?' look!

It's a great bike and you'll learn that it's more fun to thrash something with a bit less power than it is to be always holding back on a big machine.
I couldn't agree more mate. Sick of reading articles in MCN and other mags that refer to the CB500X as beginner bike , first bike and all that pish. It does what it does and doesn't pretend to be something else. What is a beginner, intermediate and advanced bike? I thought those descriptions were for ski runs.

Offline Grim Rider

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Codsall
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 10:33:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocker66 [+]
Slow???? I find it quite capable of cruising at 85MPH which is 15 MPH above the national limit. Boring?? Maybe for some but I grew out of the need to feel thay I'm a GP rider many years ago. I certainly don't have the ego that requires me to have the biggest flashiest bike in the group. Your comments are exactly the sort that people put people off smaller bikes. I say smaller but when I started a 500 was an average sized bike and a 650 was a large one.

Yes, well one of the great things in life is that people can have different opinions about the same thing or experience - one of the great disappointments is how rarely others can respect someone else's opinion and feel the need to use them to fuel their own bigoted views; but then you have a history of that on this forum so I am not in the least surprised.
2017 BMW RnineT Racer S; 2001 BMW R1150 GSA; 1990 BMW K1; 1998 Suzuki DR350S; 1978 Laverda Jarama; 1977 Honda Camino;1962 AJS 250 CSR
www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 sandy 500X
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent UK
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 10:59:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grim Rider [+]
Yes, well one of the great things in life is that people can have different opinions about the same thing or experience - one of the great disappointments is how rarely others can respect someone else's opinion and feel the need to use them to fuel their own bigoted views; but then you have a history of that on this forum so I am not in the least surprised.
You are quite correct people are entitled to different opinions and I posted mine.As to history ever since I joined this forum you have attacked me whenever I have posted a different opinion to yours.
For me the CB500X saved my motorcycling career something for which I will be forever grateful and I certainly would not belittle it on here
Audere est Facere
The throttle should be controlled by two things which are the right hand and common sense
4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 11:06:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover [+]
Sick of reading articles in MCN......

This week "Even though it has only 89 bhp it did not feel too underpowered......" or words like that. I think it was the BMW800GS being run off road. 89 bhp on loose stuff not feeling underpowered. I think they have some automatic text generator that just pulls in random sentences. Or they have give the morons a word processor.

Same with a group of 1200 Adventure Bikes recently. "This one only has 160 bhp so down on power in this group". I wonder if these guys know that the classic 3.8 Jaguar, which was a bit nippy made not a whole lot more power.

But they were very kind to the X.
Brian.

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 11:07:09 PM »
You are quite correct people are entitled to different opinions and I posted mine.As to history ever since I joined this forum you have attacked me whenever I have posted a different opinion to yours.
For me the CB500X saved my motorcycling career something for which I will be forever grateful and I certainly would not belittle it on here

Rocker mate, I remember your wife was very encouraging on the Honda Hornet forum and I'm glad that the CB500X has kept you on a bike. Grim is a descent bloke all the same.

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 11:09:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
This week "Even though it has only 89 bhp it did not feel too underpowered......" or words like that. I think it was the BMW800GS being run off road. 89 bhp on loose stuff not feeling underpowered. I think they have some automatic text generator that just pulls in random sentences. Or they have give the morons a word processor.

Same with a group of 1200 Adventure Bikes recently. "This one only has 160 bhp so down on power in this group". I wonder if these guys know that the classic 3.8 Jaguar, which was a bit nippy made not a whole lot more power.

But they were very kind to the X.

Maybe so. but they still write pish.

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 11:10:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover [+]
Rocker mate, I remember your wife was very encouraging on the Honda Hornet forum and I'm glad that the CB500X has kept you on a bike. Grim is a descent bloke all the same.
I never said he wasn't it's just that right from the start he has objected every time I have posted something that differs from his view
Audere est Facere
The throttle should be controlled by two things which are the right hand and common sense

Offline Britchris

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL1
  • City / Town: Bryceville
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 11:16:18 PM »
Motorcycle preferences, opinions and beliefs are individualistic.
Any two people can see the same bike in a completely different light.
Thing is guys, it's all good. There's no need for disputes or recriminations. It is what it is.
Better that we remember that we're all bike riders and that we will always wave and nod to each other.
Can't we just all get along?
Chris C
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.

Offline Grim Rider

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Codsall
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
I never said he wasn't it's just that right from the start he has objected every time I have posted something that differs from his view

Rubbish - only when you are talking bollox - but perhaps that may have been every time you posted... perhaps if you got that chip off your shoulder and developed a sense of humour  :001:
2017 BMW RnineT Racer S; 2001 BMW R1150 GSA; 1990 BMW K1; 1998 Suzuki DR350S; 1978 Laverda Jarama; 1977 Honda Camino;1962 AJS 250 CSR
www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 11:39:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Britchris [+]
Motorcycle preferences, opinions and beliefs are individualistic.
Any two people can see the same bike in a completely different light.
Thing is guys, it's all good. There's no need for disputes or recriminations. It is what it is.
Better that we remember that we're all bike riders and that we will always wave and nod to each other.
Can't we just all get along?
Chris C
I am on several bike related forums as well as football (soccer) related ones where people have posted views differing from me which fine as that is what debate is all about. However on all the forums I have belonged to this person is the only one that has made me feel unwelcome from the start.
As to football (American) I see your local team are using London as their 2nd home. My family have been to see them each time. My soccer team's stadium is being rebuilt to include facilities to allow NFL games to be played there so hopefully it will become the Jags 2nd home
Audere est Facere

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage