Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How would you improve the X?  (Read 11953 times)

Offline uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
How would you improve the X?
« on: November 09, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »
Right, so this year we've seen an updated X released. Mostly cosmetic changes, but some more substantial stuff. My question is: what would you like to see Honda do with the NEXT new model?

I'm pretty happy with my bike, but my ideas would be:

1) A larger fuel tank. Granted, we already have decent range, but it could be better with some smart design. There is a lot of room to play with, especially if the tank expanded into the space taken by the fairing. Particularly with such a general purpose bike as the X, I think that it should be possible and useful to squeeze in a couple of extra litres.

2) Bigger 6th gear. At higher speed, the bike really does seem to want something larger, and one of the most popular upgrades is to increase the gearing. If that final gear was made just a bit better the bike would still have all of the low end performance that is useful in traffic or on hilly hairpins, making it an even better all-round machine.

3) Windscreen. I don't know how effective the 2016 model is, but my 2014 bike suffers from lots of wind noise at speed. Apparently some after-market companies have been able to design screens that provide an effective wind shield (I've heard that CalSci is good) ... why can't Honda? It would be good to hear from 2016 owners on this one.

4) Gear indicator. Surely it wouldn't be hard to include this on a re-vamped instrument panel. It would be particularly useful for new riders, and the X is just the right size to appeal to that market segment.

5) Better fork springs. Probably the most common criticism of the bike is the forks - the progressive spring design simply isn't a winner (I don't think that this was upgraded on the 2016 model, although it is pleasing to see that pre-load adjusters were added).

6) Sump plug. Okay, so now I'm getting picky, but I really don't know why anyone would think that pointing the thing towards the rear wheel was ever a good idea.

7) Just an idea, but if the wheel arch was brought in a bit room could be made for a bit more under-seat storage.

Do you agree / disagree, any other ideas?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:44:40 AM by uku383 »

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: How would you improve the X?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »
Gear indicator.

Longer front mudguard.

Better colour dash.

Offline Ling Msia

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda cb500x
  • City / Town: Sibu, Malaysia
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »
Longer front mudguard
Gear indicator
Slightly higher top end power
LING Msia

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 sandy 500X
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent UK
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 01:44:21 PM »
Some really good ideas but I can never understand why people want a gear indicator. Surely the feel of the engine should tell the rider whether he/she needs to change up or down
Audere est Facere
The throttle should be controlled by two things which are the right hand and common sense
4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 01:49:53 PM »
For me 2nd and 3rd aren't really clear when I'm coasting up to a junction, and I don't want that clunk into first if I'm going too fast.

And I saves those neurotic 7th gear searches on the motorway.

Offline Nortoon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocker66 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Some really good ideas but I can never understand why people want a gear indicator. Surely the feel of the engine should tell the rider whether he/she needs to change up or down

If I was riding a BSA that would work; I could feel the vibration and hear that beautiful sound from the mufflers. But this bike is quiet, generates a lot of wind noise, and only vibrates at 5,000 RPM. Although I had 23 years of experience on all sorts of motorcycles when I bought my CB500XA, the first thing I bought was a gear digital indicator. Hard to tell from the digital tachometer, if you can see it at all, the difference between gears. The only gear that is easy to gauge is first, because of the clunk when engaging it and it's peaky rev range.

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 sandy 500X
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent UK
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 02:20:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nortoon >>>> link hidden <<<<
If I was riding a BSA that would work; I could feel the vibration and hear that beautiful sound from the mufflers. But this bike is quiet, generates a lot of wind noise, and only vibrates at 5,000 RPM. Although I had 23 years of experience on all sorts of motorcycles when I bought my CB500XA, the first thing I bought was a gear digital indicator. Hard to tell from the digital tachometer, if you can see it at all, the difference between gears. The only gear that is easy to gauge is first, because of the clunk when engaging it and it's peaky rev range.
That surprises me I have owned 80 bikes of many different types and ridden many more and never felt the need for a gear indicator even on really smooth bikes like my GT750 Suzuki and my Wings. Certainly never a problem with either of my CB500Xs
Audere est Facere
The throttle should be controlled by two things which are the right hand and common sense
4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Online HerrDeacon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 >>>> link hidden <<<<
6) Sump plug. Okay, so now I'm getting picky, but I really don't know why anyone would think that pointing the thing towards the rear wheel was ever a good idea.

I'd don't see anything wrong with it pointing backwards, especially on a bike that can be taken offroad, saves it from being ripped off when riding over something. Just ask the FJ-09 owner's about that  :003:

Changes I'd like to see are:
  • Larger tank, would love to see at least 20L, loads of room there. Would be nice if I could get a cheap used tank and expand it a bit.
  • More ground clearance
  • Better gear ratios, especially the higher ones
  • +20hp and +20lb-ft  :007:
  • Tubeless spoked rims

All of these would be 'nice-to-haves' but the only thing I really miss coming to the X is the torque. Last bike had loads of instant torque and I really miss having it. Extremely pleased with everything else though, great bike.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »
Just a bit more grunt and better gearing to go with it.

But I have no problem with it as it is, in fact the power available takes a lot of thinking out of the right hand and it's always been plenty for a safe overtake.

Lovely old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Brian.

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb550x
  • City / Town: Swampscott, Mass
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »
It could stand to lose twenty pounds. but then again, so could I...
2013 CB500X

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage