Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How would you improve the X?  (Read 11954 times)

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 sandy 500X
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent UK
Re: How would you improve the X?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 03:13:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Just a bit more grunt and better gearing to go with it.

But I have no problem with it as it is, in fact the power available takes a lot of thinking out of the right hand and it's always been plenty for a safe overtake.

Lovely old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
100% AGREE
Audere est Facere
The throttle should be controlled by two things which are the right hand and common sense
4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Online julman99

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: NYC
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50:32 PM »
Reasons why I will change my X for another bike at some point in the future:
- +20hp (and torque too). I know there is the NX700 and 750, but that engine is not fun.
- Longer 5th and 6th, specially 6th

Nice to have:
- Longer front mudguard
- Oil drain plug and oil filter in positions that make it easy or less messy to change oil
- Center stand installed from the factory
- Two Acc circuits/fuses, one for the front plug, one for the back plug. (Instead of sharing the same 7.5A fuse)
- Rear tire hugger from the factory
- Ambient temp and engine temp in dashboard

Deal breaker issues that I managed to solve in an expensive way:
- Wind issue: cost me several windscreens, adapters and time. Eventually I solved it, but it was a frustrating process. If I had not solved I probably would have started to look for another bike.
Follow me at:
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Nortoon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »
I doubt that we will see center stands and rear huggers as standard equipment. But least they are available for purchase. I would not buy a Yamaha Tracer until a center stand is available from Yamaha or an accessory provider.

The rear hugger has limited value as you still get wet on a wet road. A full rear fender would be a great accessory, instead of these spindly plate brackets.

The drain plug could be downward facing and recessed in the bottom of the oil pan. If you hit a rock that can reach the oil pan, you have more to worry about than the drain plug.

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 sandy 500X
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent UK
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by julman99 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Reasons why I will change my X for another bike at some point in the future:
- +20hp (and torque too). I know there is the NX700 and 750, but that engine is not fun.

Having owned a NC700X albeit as my commuter bike not a my leisure bike I have to say I actually prefer the CB500X
Audere est Facere
The throttle should be controlled by two things which are the right hand and common sense
4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Offline Kayakvsmoto

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
Low seat option from factory.  This is almost a perfect beginner bike.  Allowing us shorter folks to flat foot it would help a lot with confidence.

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 07:04:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Right, so this year we've seen an updated X released. Mostly cosmetic changes, but some more substantial stuff. My question is: what would you like to see Honda do with the NEXT new model?

I'm pretty happy with my bike, but my ideas would be:

1) A larger fuel tank. Granted, we already have decent range, but it could be better with some smart design. There is a lot of room to play with, especially if the tank expanded into the space taken by the fairing. Particularly with such a general purpose bike as the X, I think that it should be possible and useful to squeeze in a couple of extra litres.

2) Bigger 6th gear. At higher speed, the bike really does seem to want something larger, and one of the most popular upgrades is to increase the gearing. If that final gear was made just a bit better the bike would still have all of the low end performance that is useful in traffic or on hilly hairpins, making it an even better all-round machine.

3) Windscreen. I don't know how effective the 2016 model is, but my 2014 bike suffers from lots of wind noise at speed. Apparently some after-market companies have been able to design screens that provide an effective wind shield (I've heard that CalSci is good) ... why can't Honda? It would be good to hear from 2016 owners on this one.

4) Gear indicator. Surely it wouldn't be hard to include this on a re-vamped instrument panel. It would be particularly useful for new riders, and the X is just the right size to appeal to that market segment.

5) Better fork springs. Probably the most common criticism of the bike is the forks - the progressive spring design simply isn't a winner (I don't think that this was upgraded on the 2016 model, although it is pleasing to see that pre-load adjusters were added).

6) Sump plug. Okay, so now I'm getting picky, but I really don't know why anyone would think that pointing the thing towards the rear wheel was ever a good idea.

7) Just an idea, but if the wheel arch was brought in a bit room could be made for a bit more under-seat storage.

Do you agree / disagree, any other ideas?

My opinions/suggestions for what they are worth (based on the above list):

1) More fuel range: I agree, with a slight redesign, you could get another gallon of fuel inside the current fairing cheeks (2 litres a side) - although whether than is strictly necessary for the average rider I'm not sure? If you're gentle the bike can easily get 400kms (250 miles) or more from a tank. And adding another gallon would cause all those preoccupied with the wet weights of bikes to damn it even further...

My current suggestion would be to use one of those Giant Loop Gas-Bags (that hold a US gallon) - rolled up and tucked inside the fairing when it's empty for the most part, and fill it prior to the start of a long stretch, lash it to the rear seat and empty it into the tank once you've covered 60 miles or so?

2) Gearing: I agree that top (6th) gear can feel low to a lot of people used to torquier or larger capacity bikes (remember the CB is actually only 471cc), but I'm not sure the engine could pull a much taller gear at higher speeds anyway? Perhaps dropping it 500rpm would be a fair compromise, and consider it more of a cruising overdrive gear.

3) Windscreen - yes, it would appear that the fundamental issue with the screen noise/buffeting is the angle of it in relation to the seating position, and that cannot really be changed unless the whole headlight/fairing assembly is reshaped. I would add though that the severity of it does seem to depend very much on your height/reach and if you wear a peaked helmet or not?

4) Gear indicator: Not essential as others have said, but as part of a headlight/faring redesign, I can't see why they don't use the NC dash in future (that presumably already has a gear indicator, particularly for the DCT version) - that would keep parts common.

5) Fork Springs: for info, the springs were changed for 2016, but not significantly - and inherently the open-oil-bath fork has its limitations compared to what we are used to on more expensive and modern-tech suspension. Ultimately I can see Honda using the USD forks from the CBF600 or similar on any further CB500X model revision (as was touted on the CX01 concept bike recently for example), but inevitably better suspension is going to add to the base cost of the bike.

6) Sump Plug: Personally I've not found this a problem, it's very neat and out of the way. It's not like oil changes are particularly frequent on this bike anyway.

7) Underseat storage: I agree things are a bit fussy under there, but nothing that a few minutes with a Dremel can't improve already - for info. I now have all my trail tools and bodge-it repair items (including puncture repair kit, tyre levers and a compressor) under the current CB seat:

>>>> link hidden <<<<

Hope that adds to the conversation...

Jx

ps. I agree with Nortoon - items such as huggers and centre stands are really just accessories - not essential to all, and not having them as standard helps to keep the base price low.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:07:20 PM by JMo »

Online uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 07:58:22 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments. Just thought Id offer a couple of responses to some of the ideas and comments. In doing so, I'm also keeping in mind what Honda might actually do - what might be possible from a corporate perspective. In no particular order, but numbered to make reading easier.

1) Gear change indicator. I agree that most times experienced riders dont need one, however it would be very helpful for new riders, and I agree with Mister Paul who notes that sometimes it is helpful to check 2nd when approaching a corner (not good to accidentally hit first). I still think that this is a good idea.

2) Extra horsepower. I cant see this happening. It would bump the bike out of the learning bike classifications in different jurisdictions, and that appears to be one of the key factors in offering it to the market.

3) Factory centre stand and hugger. I think that Nortoon and Jen are right here. These are nice to haves, but they are probably best left as after-market options to keep unit prices down.

4) Factory spoked rims. While the spoked rims could be offered as an option, Im not sure that Honda would view that as worth their while, but it would certainly be nice for some consumers.

5) Higher 6th gear. I disagree with Jen on this one. Many people change over the sprockets which increases the gearing across the rang, with no problem. I am sure that the engine could take a higher stock final gear.

6) Two accessory circuits. I really like this idea. Cant see why it would be unreasonable for Honda to do it.

7) Ambient and engine temp display. Probably a bit too much of a luxury for a budget bike?

8) Lower seat option. A good idea. Would make the bike accessible (appealing) to more riders.

9) Front suspension. Jen made the point that any further improvement is likely to add to the bikes price. If thats the case, I doubt that Honda will do it. The affordability of the bike is a big selling point.

10) Decreased rider weight. I need to eat more veggies myself!

Finally, Jen thanks for posting the pic of your underseat packing. Im going to have a fiddle!

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 08:22:13 PM »
I'd be more conservative than some.
Additional power would mean that the bike would be out of the A1 beginner licensing category. Also more power would mean higher fuel consumption and need for sophisticated traction control electonic off road. I'd like to keep it sweet simple.
 I could live with the existing 35 kW power, if let's say an additional +5-8 Nm torque would be added. This could be done by adding a few more mm stroke and 2mm larger bore to reach real 500cc as well a slightly larger CR (Cb500x has 10.7:0, cb400x has 11:1 while the yammi mt07 has 12:1) would definitely bring some life all through the rev range. Also potentially a 270'crank (a'la Africa twin) would add to the feeling of torque and a bit character to both the sound and feel of the bike. This would immediately enable the longer 6th gear and would help low speed manouvering off road.
As others mentioned using the nc750 dash would be nice and solve the gear indicator a temp gauge issues also.
An adjustable seat would be nice. It was already available in 2004 on the cbf600.
These changes would wirtually cost nothing if honda starts mass producing the parts.
I am one who would really like to see a 10kg or 20 lbs drop from the weight of the  bike. Based on my measurements and calculations this could be done by using an aluminium or plastic tank (with potentially an extra plastic decorative cover), slightly redesigned subframe an alloy swing arm, headlight/instrument stay and alloy fat bars. (the cb500 engined CRF500L frankenbike was weighting in ~370pounds wet with steel frame, 21/18 knobby tires, front usd shock, rally fairing and belly protection)
For all the rest I could imagine a two step approach just like the sv650 or gs/gsa.
The normal version should stay as it is now, with the addition of a higher spec adventure version. This should have longer travel usd forks, matching extended travel at the rear suspension, better splash protection, larger tank, tubeless wire spoke 19/17" wheels and some form of oil filter and sump protection. Again if honda would mass produce these, the price difference should be around or less of the Rally Raid L3 kit because of economies of scale and one should not even get the cast wheels for example at the first place.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:27:40 PM by Oyabun »

Offline AntOne

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 01:14:42 AM »
I have the 2016 500X and would like the following changes

- taller / narrower seat option.  It's already quite low but I am 6'2".

- gear indicator would be nice.  This bike appeals to new riders of which I am one and while I can feel 4,5,6... Gearing down its hard to tell 2 and 3 sometimes dropping into 1st when not wanted.

- suspension,  the current suspension is truly terrible.

- spoked wheels,  the new adventure scooter that Honda released a few days ago has spoked wheels so the CBX really should too.  Tubeless.

- I agree the gearing seems a little off.  Would like it to cruise at 110kph which 500 or so less RPM.

Ultimately though,  I really love the CBX.  These are just small niggles apart from the suspension.

Offline mark444

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 White CB500X
  • City / Town: Burpinham, Bama
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 01:50:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 >>>> link hidden <<<<
6) Sump plug. Okay, so now I'm getting picky, but I really don't know why anyone would think that pointing the thing towards the rear wheel was ever a good idea.
Do you agree / disagree, any other ideas?

Ask any ZRX1100/1200 what they think about their OEM oil drain plug pointing down. The head of the plug can get "sheared off" when hitting a rock, a curb, or when loading (riding) the bike up a ramp and the head snags at the top of the ramp when the front wheel levels out and the rear wheel is still on the ramp. A "shear off" could leave one out in the boonies without being able to ride the bike out.........
Pointing back does not bother me.
Currently: 2014 CB500X, 2008 WeeStrom, (2) 1996 GPZ1100, (2) ZX11's, 1994 CBR1000F, 1972 Honda CB750, & 1979 CSR650 Kawi.

Recent Topics