Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How would you improve the X?  (Read 17990 times)

Offline AJC500

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: How would you improve the X?
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
Want a bit more power in an adventure style bike?  Not sure Honda can help, but try a Kawasaki Versys 650 - fabulous!!  However, the X's main feature for me was being able to downsize from a 650 without too much compromise....... 

The X is what it is, and I think that's why we like it so much - it shouldn't be a higher powered bike, and is not a sportsbike, and won't handle like one, but it is GREAT FUN isn't it?!!! :152:
The Story So Far.........

Online uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2018, 12:13:28 AM »
Here's another idea: two headlight globes.

I know that it's a bit retro, and I doubt that Honda would invest in it for a budget bike, but the X is a great bike for longer trips. I've had three globes go on me so far, and it is a real pain to have a globe go when far from home. Also, for the life of me I can't change the bloody things and have to get a bike shop to do it for me, which means that carrying a spare globe doesn't help.

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2018, 12:49:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
Here's another idea: two headlight globes.

I know that it's a bit retro, and I doubt that Honda would invest in it for a budget bike, but the X is a great bike for longer trips. I've had three globes go on me so far, and it is a real pain to have a globe go when far from home. Also, for the life of me I can't change the bloody things and have to get a bike shop to do it for me, which means that carrying a spare globe doesn't help.

2016-on models have LED headlights... so that's one thing they have improved already ;o)

Jx

Offline dpwell

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vancouver BC
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2018, 02:48:16 AM »
Main peeve: the horn! Switch the horn and turn signal switch locations! The horn is horribly hard to find, especially when you need it!

I'm not a big fan of the digital display. It's sometimes quite basically impossible to see, depending on the light. I'd prefer analog, or some combination of digital and analog.

Other things:
Better stock grips. The OEM grips are slippery.
Adjustable levers, clutch as well as brake.

Online uku383

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2018, 05:01:30 AM »
You're right, Jenny - I forgot about LEDs on the new models!

Dpwell, I hope it's not rude to ask if you've tried increasing the brightness of the display to help with your problem? Also, I *think* that the new models have adjustable levers (but I'm not sure... if they don't I certainly agree with you).

Also, I wouldn't hold my breath on the position of the horn and indicator buttons - it seems to be common across Honda bikes. The good news is that you do get used to it... and it's a laugh when you let a mate ride your bike only to hear the horn go every time they take a corner! 🤣
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:03:39 AM by uku383 »

Offline Pocketpete

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2017
  • City / Town: Gee Cross
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
Better suspension as standard. A radiator guard. A decent rear hugger. Extend the front mudguard. Make the rear footrest hangers out of stainless steel.

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2018, 09:38:51 AM »
I think that I have. See below.

Geoff.
Heated grips, gear position indicator, grip puppies, fenda extenda, tank protector, Michelin PR4's with "Tyre seal installed", shaved seat, rack and Givi Blade top box, rear hugger, sidestand plate, center stand, Hawk accessory bar with spotlights, Daneli mini soundbomb, Givi XS319 tanklock bag, loobman oiler, Evotech radiator guard, Fuel Micro Mini minus baffle and a liberal coating of Acf50 oh and a detachable sheepskin seat pad, lovely.

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by dpwell [+]
Main peeve: the horn! Switch the horn and turn signal switch locations! The horn is horribly hard to find, especially when you need it!

This. I've had the bike 4 months now and I still fail to find the horn when I need it. So no, it's not something I have got used to.

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Applecorp [+]
This. I've had the bike 4 months now and I still fail to find the horn when I need it. So no, it's not something I have got used to.

I do find it more intuitive this way round myself. But then I'm a weirdo who likes the old BMW indicator set-up. Also, I admit I do end up accidentally beeping the horn at traffic whenever I switch between the CB and my old VFR where the horn button is in the conventional place.
Hawk

Offline Lattugo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA Y2015
  • City / Town: Valsamoggia
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2018, 11:27:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Applecorp [+]

Same here (only 2 months, though).
At first, I kept hitting the horn while reaching for the turn indicators, but now when I (rarely) need the horn, I still cannot find it.

I believe that also the new Africa Twin has the same layout, and I've heard many people complaining.

Apart from that, the bike could be improved of course (as everything), but not at the current price/quality ratio which stands very high, imho.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 11:38:11 AM by Lattugo »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage