Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CB500X offroad capability  (Read 24573 times)

Offline Tonto

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Right now?......
  • City / Town: Mae Taeng
Re: CB500X offroad capability
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:57 AM »
My two Bahts worth....For me...there is nothing more fun than dirt bike riding. Having raced Motocross and Enduro  most of my life, (lot of memories and injuries) ....For me It's not about the bike really, any bike with the right prep can go off road, (to one degree or another) it's more about the rider. No trying to be rude, so please take what I say with good intent and plain speaking. From what you have wrote you have limited experience off road, plus the cbx is not really a dirt bike, if you really want to get off road get a dirt bike or stick to 'fire tracks'......Just remember off road experience comes from lots and lots of doing it wrong!!! Not riding around and nothing happening...From personal experience a 'get off' always comes right behind the feeling off...."I've got this" Do you really want to be throwing you're CBX into the 'bush'. One last thing, if you are going to go into the wild, wear protection.......NO, not that type.........Feet, ankles, knee , elbows and head, (first impact points) and never go alone........Good luck
Life's a journey.........Not a destination....I think!

Offline ngling

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rockhampton
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
Valid points Tonto, but I don't intend to go real offroad riding. I am only talking about access roads through national parks which are, for the most part, easily accessible by 2wd. Incidentally, I rode dirt  bikes offroad for about 2-3 years on some pretty savage terrain in the alpine areas of Australia so I wouldn't exactly say that I have had limited experience.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »
Tonto has it about right. Although I've had trail bikes etc., the telling line being," do you really want to be throwing your X into the bush". No definitely not. As I see it, the wheels are too small,tyres wrong,not enough suspension travel & not enough ground clearance. There are better bikes for the job.
Also alloy wheels would be extremely vulnerable, they don't have the " give" of spoked wheels.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:29:05 PM by Defender »
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Xaero [+]
THe CRF230L only has 11 ft lb of torque and a top speed of 71 mph.  Trail riding is all its designed for.

Actually, since I replaced the OEM drive sprocket and changed the rear sprocket from 39 teeth to 48 teeth, the bike has a top speed of 55 mph and a cruising top speed of 50-52 mph.  It climbs much better with the bigger rear sprocket.

It is still marginal for serious off-road use.  The shock travel and ground clearance are inferior to real dirt bikes.  I have a 28-inch inseam so I need a low seat height; the 32-inch seat height on the 230L is just right for me.

The 500X should be fine on dry fireroads, etc.  The "problem" that I keep seeing is the limited ground clearance and the vulnerable oil filter if you high center it.  I hope to buy one in the next month, but it will be my new daily rider, not my trail bike.

This is where I had the 230L before changing the rear sprocket:

PS  I've high centered that bike going the other direction through that rock garden.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:36:02 PM by jsonder »
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline dtacsan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 09:41:47 PM »
Hi,

CB500X doesn't have disengageable ABS, does it interferes with off road riding and braking on gravel?

Thanks,

Offline Xaero

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: None...
  • City / Town: Knoxville
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 05:53:36 AM »
Anything can go "off-road".  Some motorcycles are better equipped to do so (CB500x, KLR650, CRF230L, etc etc).  Some motorcycles are even equipped to drive in the mud (extreme off-road, usually not street legal bikes).  Most of the time you can not mix "adventure" and "extreme" so that's why the CB500x is such a good candidate for someone wanting to go somewhere with comfort and no real limits.

*Originally Posted by dtacsan [+]
Hi,

CB500X doesn't have disengageable ABS, does it interferes with off road riding and braking on gravel?

Thanks,

ABS and non-ABS do not mean a thing on gravel or dirt unless you trigger the ABS system.  An ABS system triggered on dirt or gravel will cause you to skid further but be more stable.  Dirt bike riders use hard braking to aid in their off-road use.  Look up the many YouTube videos showing this.  I know there was a Honda VFR1200x video review that did a dirt stopping test with ABS on and ABS off.  As a side note, that is one sexy beast of a motorcycle.
My YouTube Motorcycle Channel!
RIP 2013 CB500XA
Hello 2014 CTX700N DCT

Offline Tonto

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Right now?......
  • City / Town: Mae Taeng
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 06:36:29 AM »
Hi 'ngling'..... I think from reading you're reply's in this topic, you have enough experience to make a judgment call when out and about on the dirt as to what you can do and not do.

'dtacsan' You asked; "ABS, does it interferes with off road riding?" in a word...yes.....and no, contrary to popular believe you should use the front brake as much in the dirt as you would on a road bike. being able to lock-up the front or back independently or both at the same time is really a bit of a must to have proper control of the bike in the dirt, (direction and speed)......However I think ABS would be good on the X and for gentle off-road riding, it would help to add some confidence, but be careful of lean angle and body position, (sit well forward) when braking, I can't see ABS saving anyone from a 'panic tug' on the brakes when on a slippery surface. 
Life's a journey.........Not a destination....I think!

Offline Island Rick

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X / CBR250R
  • City / Town: Peaks Isl.ME USA
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 01:53:20 AM »
The CB500X is a really nice bike. It would probably do lots of crazy stuff if you equipped it properly and pushed it hard. But why would you do that??
Interestingly however, my little Sach.s MadAss 125 with stock road tires has done thousands of miles on gravel / rutted and muddy roads surprisingly well. But I do not push it in such situations. That's not what it is made for.
It's always best to stick to the intended purpose of any machine. Riding along country roads you will see many little dirt or other roads that you know you can ride with your CB500X if you choose to. You won't have to test every one. That's the fun of it, in my opinion.
Have fun with your great bike.

IR
Motorcycling - One of two ways to experience heaven on earth ...

Offline Kamotion

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500x
  • City / Town: Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 02:04:37 AM »
Hey everyone, I recently took my CBX down the roughest road I could find, I pasted the link below. Let me know if ya footage or pics of worse terrain navigated by the CB500x. I wanna push the limit!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBw4j04dmqs

Offline Xch

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 04:30:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kamotion [+]
Hey everyone, I recently took my CBX down the roughest road I could find, I pasted the link below. Let me know if ya footage or pics of worse terrain navigated by the CB500x. I wanna push the limit!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBw4j04dmqs

Nice video Kamotion, good stuff.

Once you fit bits like a SW-M bashplate, Pivot Pegz and bar risers then standing up is easy and you can take roads like that a lot faster and smoother, plus harder tracks as well.  It is surprising how good the oem Scorpion tyres are off road, as long as it isn't too wet.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage