Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 1st Ride Impressions  (Read 1655 times)

Offline dkjkwood

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR1300,CB500X
  • City / Town: Easley
1st Ride Impressions
« on: February 25, 2017, 12:37:02 AM »
CB500XAG

Friday, February 24, 2017
7:16 PM

I took the little girl our for a ride this evening.  I did a mix of country lanes, gravel roads and a short stint on the highway.  My first impressions are as follows:

Comfort: 
    The seat is firm and not particularly comfortable.  I don't think this is a get used to it kind of seat.  I'll be up in the mountains tomorrow, I suspect I'll spend a good deal of time standing.
    The riding position is very comfortable.  No need for risers or peg re-locators.
    The standing position is also quite comfortable.

Suspension
    Can't tell yet, it's a bit stiff, doesn't soak up the bumps.

Brakes
    Not impressed, got to grab pretty hard to get her to stop.

Engine
    The engine is quite smooth.  Doesn't have a great deal of power but she accelerates easily.
    I took her out on the highway and she takes a bit to get up to speed but cruised comfortably at 70 mph.

Handling
    Effortless, I think I'm going to really enjoy this in the mountains.

My other bike is a 2015 FJR a truly awesome machine.  Over the last few years I've contemplated adding an adventure bike to my garage.  I've looked at everything, DL, KLR, XR-R, XR-L, etc.  Finally pulled the trigger yesterday and bought the CBX.  She is a completely different animal when compared to the FJR.  Regardless, when I got home tonight, I had a big grin on my face.

My plan is to turn her into an adventure bike via Rally Raids upgrades.  I  ordered the Level 2 and 3 kits this afternoon along with their bash plate.

More reviews to come once I get her built.

Offline ColoRider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA (GBNF)
  • City / Town: Sidney, NE
Re: 1st Ride Impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:10:24 AM »
Interesting review!  I'm sure it was a sharp contrast to your FJR. 

I'm an ex-FJR rider and much of what you found is because the FJR is likely your baseline.  I don't mean that in a negative way, just that any bike in the CB500X "type" would likely stack up about the same.   

I'm anxious to hear what your thoughts are of the saddle after more and longer rides.  The longest I have been on mine is less than an hour and it didn't seem bad at all.   

How well did the windscreen work for you?  To me, it is as good as the OEM screen on the FJR - maybe even better. 

Rod
Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

Offline dkjkwood

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 01:34:09 AM »
I hope my review didn't come off as negative, certainly not what I wanted.  I really like the CB500, been smiling since I got home.  I'll be putting ~200 miles on her tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think of the seat tomorrow night.

Offline ColoRider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 01:45:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by dkjkwood [+]
I hope my review didn't come off as negative, certainly not what I wanted.  I really like the CB500, been smiling since I got home.  I'll be putting ~200 miles on her tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think of the seat tomorrow night.

i was not criticizing your review and if there was any negative it was only because COMPARED to a FJR, the little CBX isn't in the same league.  But then, they are apples to oranges apart as well. 

Anxious to hear your review after your longer ride. I'm jealous of you as we still have some pretty messy roads after our storm yesterday and I don't think I'll be getting out on mine anytime soon.

Rod
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:48:22 AM by ColoRider »
Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

Offline Nortoon

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:30:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by dkjkwood [+]
I took the little girl our for a ride this evening.  I did a mix of country lanes, gravel roads and a short stint on the highway.  My first impressions are as follows:

Comfort:  The seat is firm and not particularly comfortable.  I don't think this is a get used to it kind of seat.

Suspension: Can't tell yet, it's a bit stiff, doesn't soak up the bumps.

Brakes: Not impressed, got to grab pretty hard to get her to stop.

My plan is to turn her into an adventure bike via Rally Raids upgrades.  I  ordered the Level 2 and 3 kits this afternoon along with their bash plate.

The seat is uncomfortable after a few hours. The least expensive option is the MadDog Comfort Seat Pad by Coleman. If you search for the AirHawk thread the last couple of pages have the pictures and information on the MadDog pad.

I found the small diameter and hard Honda grips cramped my hands. I added Grip Puppies, slip-on foam covers. May not be suitable for off road riding however.

The Rally Raid equipment should solve the suspension problems.

I am surprized you found the brakes hard to activate. Could be a breaking-in thing. Over the past three summers, I had to haul my CB500XA down in a hurry a number of times: black bear, deer, wild turkeys, etc.

Offline uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 09:03:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Nortoon [+]
I am surprized you found the brakes hard to activate. Could be a breaking-in thing. Over the past three summers, I had to haul my CB500XA down in a hurry a number of times: black bear, deer, wild turkeys, etc.

Perhaps topping up the brake fluid might help?
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline dkjkwood

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 10:56:39 PM »
Second ride is in the books.  Road a little over 200 miles on a wide variety of roads including some major twisties in the mountains.

Ergonomics:  They are perfect for me, (6' w/ 34" inseam).  Its very unusual for me to take a reasonably long ride on a brand new bike and not have a few aches.  Not so today.  I'm impressed.

Weather management:  It's been awhile since I've ridden a non-faired bike.  I forgot you legs get wet when it rains.  Silly me.  Other than that I think the windscreen does a pretty good job, definitely better than the stock FJR screen.  At this point I see no reason to replace it.

Seat:  I put my sheepskin on the seat last night.  It made a big difference.  I didn't have any major issues with it.  Ignore my previous post.  I was wrong.

Handling:  She does just about everything well. Even with the stock suspension I ran the twisties pretty hard.  Very predictable, very fun.

Engine & Transmission:  Transmission is very smooth.  I'm impressed.  Clutch lever pull is easy, stop and go traffic won't pose any problems.  I'm still getting used to the engine.  It's quite smooth, I just need to figure out the shifting to best take advantage of the available power.

I've ridden many bikes and so far, I'm finding this one quite entertaining.

Can't wait for the Rally Raid stuff to get here.

Offline Tas

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: White CB500X
  • City / Town: Hobart
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 11:07:58 PM »
Yeh seat is too firm and Ive got an Airhawk small cruiser cushion on mine. Good to know there are other seat options as Airhawk wasnt cheap.

Offline ColoRider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 11:48:55 PM »
Excellent follow up review dkjkwood.    :046:
Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

Recent Topics