Author Topic: Please give your pros and cons cb500x vs v storm 650 vs BMW f800gsa  (Read 10595 times)

Offline marktbike

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 CB 500 X
I've had three V-Strom's 650 and I currently ride a CB 500 X. The Strom has the advantage of a bigger engine, without any loss when talking about smoothness. The L series (2011-2016) is far better than the former K series (2004-2011) and it's great in terms of handling, precision, has better suspension, better seat, better mileage. I loved it. But the Honda is not lacking in any compartment and it gives me a smile every single day I ride it. Gearshifting is better on the Strom, just like protection from airflow. But the Honda ins when enjoying those small roads where it can show its being light and nimble. I love it and I've not suffered even in 800 kms riding days.
For reference, I'm 189 cm tall. About the BMW GSA I can not tell that much, but it's in a different league in terms of dimensions, so it's up to you to consider or discard it as a possible choice. Good luck!

Offline 4Paws

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500x
All fine bikes. What do your friends ride?  You won't get impartial comments on a CB500x forum.
If you want the panache of a BMW or the world traveler visiting the local Starbucks on a fully kitted WeeStrom  would you be happy with the stealth mode of the CBx?

Sit on all of them, which fits you best? Go with the one you can envision riding every day. I ended up with the Honda because it fit me best plus I like the lighter weight. Handles amazingly well and eats the miles competently. Ego be dammed, I'm here for the ride.

You can't go wrong with any one, I'd ride each anywhere year after year. I can guarantee you'll blow the top end out of your budget accessorizing what ever one you end up with.

Offline andybeeone

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: cb500X MT-09 Tra
I know the X is A2 compliant, you may have to restrict the other 2 bikes. Road tax cheaper for the X in UK. I guess insurance will be cheaper too. Like all the other folk have said, try them all, test ride if you can.

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Try each of them and then imagine which one will accept a flogging in your riding venue. I don't know about the other bikes (I would like to try them too), but I know the X gets more predictable the more I ask of it, rather than making me back down.

Offline iceburg7

• CB500X Newbie
I used to own a F800GS and now own a the CB500X with the RR3 kit. The Honda is definitely more nimble on the trail it feels much lighter and the engine is much smoother. Hp is not as great on the Honda but comparing a 800 to a 500 . The Honda feels more torquey than the BMW. I really like them both for different reasons. But I feel for one up riding the Honda is hard to beat. Better dual sport.

Offline PaulN

• CB500X Member
I've had 2 VStrom 650s and an 800GS ... The GS is a quality piece of kit, but quite high & the engine is not exactly engaging. VStrom is heavy, but closer to the ground & nice engine. Better fuel consumption than the GS, more comfortable imo & handles motor ways easily. I had an unscheduled off-road experience on one of them & despite being on road tyres it was well balanced & didn't complain (my wife was on a Gladius, she wasn't quite as happy!) but I'm not sure I'd want to repeat the experience. Haven't got around to test riding the 500X yet, so others here will have to give their opinions on that.

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 in red
*Originally Posted by 4Paws [+]
You won't get impartial comments on a CB500x forum.

Mine were  :001:

Offline Mollygrubber

• CB500X Newbie
  • Eschew Obfuscation
  • Bike: CB500X, CRF250L
I rode an F800GS for 95000km, and while a generally good experience (except for replacing the steering head bearings EVERY YEAR  :232:), it's a very top-heavy bike - especially for dirt riding.

I find my new CB-X MUCH easier to manage, and I really don't miss the extra power of the BMW. Love the economy as well.

One area where the Honda will really outshine a BMW is cost of replacement parts... for example, a set of front brake pads for my 800 was over $200 Canadian. Pads, not rotors lol. Keep that in mind when choosing.

Make sure you test ride all of them first!