Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Travelling in Ireland and Scotland  (Read 1888 times)

Offline cwjb

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Wilmington, IL
Re: Travelling in Ireland and Scotland
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 02:04:15 AM »
John1411- Thanx. We call the 2 positions on the switch high beam and low beam. I'm guessing that translates to main and dipped. Do they want you to ride in the daytime  in the dipped position?
AJC500- I would really like to read that article. How can I access it ? Couldn't really read it from the gallery.

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 in red
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by cwjb >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
John1411- Thanx. We call the 2 positions on the switch high beam and low beam. I'm guessing that translates to main and dipped. Do they want you to ride in the daytime  in the dipped position?

Most riders use the low / dipped options so as not to annoy other roads users.

For accomodation, booking.com or Airbnb can give you some ideas of options that are available nearby, just don't rely on getting a decent mobile / cell signal in some of the remote and wild places.

Online AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 02:16:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by cwjb >>>> link hidden <<<<
AJC500- I would really like to read that article. How can I access it ? Couldn't really read it from the gallery.

I am in the good old US of A at the moment, but will be home in a week or two and could send you a proper jpg by email or personal message..... maybe message me a reminder if that timing is OK!!
The Story So Far.........

Offline cwjb

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »
Good to know about the head lights. We usually use the high beams in the daytime for visibility. booking.com came in vert handy-got most of my rooms through them.
AJC500. That would be much appreciated. Thank you

Online AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
CWJB, that's me home, I can e-mail you a higher resolution copy of the article if you like, one you would be able to read (!), just PM me an e-mail address.

I covered the route anti-clockwise, starting just north of Glasgow near where I live, although if you were staying in Glasgow or coming from further south, the route can just as easily be followed 'clockwise', by following the main motorway/freeway west out of Glasgow and travelling up the side of Loch Lomond.

There are also some great roads coming across from Edinburgh and Stirling if you happened to be based there.

I suggest a couple of alternative routes in the article so once you can read it, you'll see options for travelling north through Killin which would lead you up towards Pitlochry, Aviemore and Inverness.  You can also head north after Glencoe, towards Fort William, Skye, Ben Nevis and the Great Glen or the North West 500 which is even further north, again eventually leading towards Inverness.

The west coast of Scotland is more rugged than the east side, and for me is the bit to see.  The highlands, starting from the north end of Loch Lomond are where it gets quite wild.....and the further north, the wilder it is!

Some of our fellow forum members have obviously toured in Scotland, and will be better placed to comment on places to see and stay - I just do day trips, so I'm always home again by bedtime!!! :180:

Offline cwjb

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 02:49:03 AM »
Very kind of you. PM coming . Thanks a lot.

Offline cwjb

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 02:23:38 PM »
I've run into a question that I haven't been able to get an answer to through official channels (imagine that) and I was hoping someone here would know about it or be able to point me in the right direction. I'll be temporarily importing my bike for this trip-Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Scotland- for about 4 weeks. I'm trying to find out what kind of drivers insurance I will need. Do they sell temporary short term insurance like they do for driving in Mexico? Would I be able to arrange for that here? Thanks in advance.

Online Irishrover

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 06:21:27 PM »
I am insured here in the U.K. to ride a bike in Europe for 3 months under my policy. I don't have the answer to your question, but maybe drop Bennetts bike insurance an email or call them and they should be able to inform you as they are probably the U.K.'s largest bike insurance company.
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover >>>> link hidden <<<<
I am insured here in the U.K. to ride a bike in Europe for 3 months under my policy.

A good point for OP, he probably knows Ireland is two totally different countries with different currencies and different laws so if he's thinking of touring Eire, the biggest bit, then he'd better makes sure he can comply in both countries.

For an X sized bike it might be much simpler to hire one.
Brian.

Online AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »
I had to insure a bike for my Kiwi son in law to use a couple of years ago, and had a bit of trouble finding someone who would insure a non-UK resident - I think it was Carole Nash who covered him in the end, although it may have been Bennetts - they are the 2 obvious options.

I don't know of anyone who offers a 'national' insurance cover like you describe for Mexico.

Recent Topics