Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 model detail changes and Rally Raid LEVEL 3 demo bike build  (Read 2039 times)

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Re: 2017 model detail changes and Rally Raid LEVEL 3 demo bike build
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »
When you do the muffler swap, it would be nice if you could do a sound clip of each one on the same bike in the same setting to see if there is much of a difference in the tone and volume.  I like the looks of the new one but wouldn't want to spend the money unless there is a definite difference in the sound.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline Bali Davo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Hi Dvorjan - we haven't had the opportunity to physically swap them yet, but certainly the mountings for the silencer seem to be in the same place.

John will be stripping the 2017 bike over the next week or so, and building it up as a LEVEL 3 bike, so he'll take that opportunity to confirm the exhaust cross compatibility... stay tuned!

Jx

ps. I just spoke to John (who's been out on the 2017 bike over this weekend, putting on some break-in miles) and he felt there was no discernible difference in noise or tone from the new silencer, which is to be expected really as it has to meet Euro 4 legislation... we always suggest if you want a deeper exhaust note (but not too much louder), consider the Scorpion Serket Taper silencer, which is also half the weight.

Hi Jenny. Looking forward to hear the outcome of the 2017 build , as I am considering buying one (+ your level 3 kit) for Indonesia

.., just a question Jenny - has Rally Raid considered making their very own CNC Machined footpeg POSTS .., as I keep hearing online comments mentioning they wished the stock pegs were lower and more forward than what the stock posts manage to provide ?

Also I am worried about those stock footpegs posts snapping should the footpeg hit the ground on a certain angle rendering the bike unrideable, as has happened many times on my current bike in Indo, so much so that I have to keep spare cast posts under my bike seat for emergency spares because spare parts are always a months wait for me .

CNC Machining of these Foot posts would make them really strong and more suitable to the Rally Raid style riding position. I am sure they would sell like hotcakes.

PS ; a foldable gear and rear brake foot lever wouldnt go astray either
Old but not too old

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bali Davo >>>> link hidden <<<<
Hi Jenny. Looking forward to hear the outcome of the 2017 build , as I am considering buying one (+ your level 3 kit) for Indonesia

.., just a question Jenny - has Rally Raid considered making their very own CNC Machined footpeg POSTS .., as I keep hearing online comments mentioning they wished the stock pegs were lower and more forward than what the stock posts manage to provide ?

Also I am worried about those stock footpegs posts snapping should the footpeg hit the ground on a certain angle rendering the bike unrideable, as has happened many times on my current bike in Indo, so much so that I have to keep spare cast posts under my bike seat for emergency spares because spare parts are always a months wait for me .

CNC Machining of these Foot posts would make them really strong and more suitable to the Rally Raid style riding position. I am sure they would sell like hotcakes.

PS ; a foldable gear and rear brake foot lever wouldnt go astray either

Hi Bali Davo - I'm confident you won't be disappointed in the CB500X, especially with the LEVEL 3 kit fitted - it is a fantastic all-roader/all-rounder...

Regarding the foot-pegs - yes, it's one of the things we've had on the back-burner for a while now - you are certainly not the first person to voice their concern about the stock foot-peg position (being rather high and far back in a more traditional sport/road bike 'rear-set' position), although your concerns about the OEM cast hanger not being strong enough are mainly unfounded... that said, we have seen one or two broken in an unlucky drop in the past.

Now that the new factory is all up and running, it really is the 'next thing on the list' for the CB development (John is currently working on the hubs for the Africa Twin, plus a new version of a CB500X front hub), so all I can say is watch this space... and yes, they will be billet alloy hangers, with stainless-steel peg brackets (for extra strength), and incorporate new/dedicated gear and brake levers.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x

Offline Bali Davo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 05:13:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo >>>> link hidden <<<<
Hi Bali Davo - I'm confident you won't be disappointed in the CB500X, especially with the LEVEL 3 kit fitted - it is a fantastic all-roader/all-rounder...

Regarding the foot-pegs - yes, it's one of the things we've had on the back-burner for a while now - you are certainly not the first person to voice their concern about the stock foot-peg position (being rather high and far back in a more traditional sport/road bike 'rear-set' position), although your concerns about the OEM cast hanger not being strong enough are mainly unfounded... that said, we have seen one or two broken in an unlucky drop in the past.

Now that the new factory is all up and running, it really is the 'next thing on the list' for the CB development (John is currently working on the hubs for the Africa Twin, plus a new version of a CB500X front hub), so all I can say is watch this space... and yes, they will be billet alloy hangers, with stainless-steel peg brackets (for extra strength), and incorporate new/dedicated gear and brake levers.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x

Wow sounds exciting Jenny .., I cant wait thank you for the heads up.
Jenny (in the Ball park) .., How far away is the new Hub expected (on the shelves) for the CB500X .., I'd hate to order the Level 3 kit, and one week later find out the new hub installed in the wheels ?

.., also could you please you tell us a bit more about the hub ?

Oh and sorry about my OTT desires for bulletproofing the CB500X Rally Raid edition , this stems from my location here regarding touring Indonesia, 

- Where a broken part requires a one to two month torturous wait while parts are shipped from Thailand to Indonesia
  (otherwise if your in luck - Jakarta only , as they 'might' stock limited parts but you still have to wait for shipping)

.., meanwhile your bike still remains stranded on whatever Island you broke down on while you wait for those shipped parts - so pre order things upfront
        - like cables, spare levers, fuses, bolts etc and carry them with you wherever you go,
        - and also stock up on air & oil filters etc to keep at home ready for your next service

- In case of breakdowns .., if the bike cannot be fixed on the trail (ie; once parts arrive)
   ..,  the bike must be shipped across many Islands and Ferries (ie; hundreds, to thousands of kilometres, depending on where you are)
        ie; before you can reach a mechanic who is familiar and competent enough, and you can trust enough to work on something larger than a 125cc scooter.

- Another reason is : The cost of the CB500X here in Indonesia is really expensive due to applied luxury taxes for bikes over 250cc.

.., In Indonesia the new price for a Honda CB500X here in Indonesia costs about Rp 150,000,000 (Rupiah) ..,
    This cost equals = 8196 (GBP) , or $11,411 (USD) , or $15,104 (AUD)  :005:

So for that price (investment) it really needs to be protected . NOTE : The Rally Raid kit is also subjected here to heavy customs import taxes   :087:

All this above info makes the Indonesian CB500X (with Rally Raid 3) cost the same as what you'd buy a brand new BMW 800GS Adventure for in the UK or US  :012:

.., so for reasons mentioned above - we do really need to go overboard here (compared to some other regions) to protect / maintain and generally look after our bikes..., but once out of the cities the exploration aspect here for an Adventure Bike can be endless and rewarding  :152:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:18:09 AM by Bali Davo »
Old but not too old

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bali Davo >>>> link hidden <<<<
Wow sounds exciting Jenny .., I cant wait thank you for the heads up.
Jenny (in the Ball park) .., How far away is the new Hub expected (on the shelves) for the CB500X .., I'd hate to order the Level 3 kit, and one week later find out the new hub installed in the wheels ?

.., also could you please you tell us a bit more about the hub ?

Hi Bali' - the new front hub will basically be the same shape & spec - it's just currently the front hubs are supplied by our wheel-builder (so can be subject to stock issues), while if we make them ourselves we can control the production schedule and stock better...

It's all about trying to increase wheel production so that customers arew not having to wait so long to have their wheels built - and to ultimately actually hold stock for immediate delivery.

Hope that clarifies things...

Jx

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage