Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 CBX - RRP L3 Adv Conversion  (Read 1534 times)

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Member
  • Retired
    • View Profile
  • Bike: RR CB500XAdv
  • City / Town: Claypole, Lincs
Re: 2016 CBX - RRP L3 Adv Conversion
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
Good Morning Jenny,
I'll take some close up pictures later and post them specifically of that part of the tank.

As I've mentioned previously on here and maybe on Adv Rider those grey strips were a real PITA to get off and no matter what solvents I used tbh none of them really worked very well.  This was primarily down to the fact that those two strips had been applied on top of the paint before the clear coat laquer had been applied and then of course the whole tank would have been baked in an oven.

The method I used on the RHS was initially to heat the laquer until soft as you would have done with the normal decals. this allowed me to get a very sharp blade through the laquer and lift the edge working front to rear. More heat was applied to soften off very small portions of the decal. Once I had enough to lift it slightly it would break and the process had to be started again. 
I did this a few times and then thought if thats not going to work then I'll try thinners.  Again I applied the thinners to soften off the laquer and although it had an effect to some degree it didn't do what I'd expected and I ended up rubbing through the laquer and then into the paint.  So pass on that idea as well.

Next up was the hammer and chisel! Not quite! But the fact hat the decal would lift with enough heat I then used a paint scraper and gently prised the decal up until it would break off again. I wasn't as cautious as I should have been and on 4 occasions I actually lifted the paint too or scored the paint more like.  As you might imagine I was not not best pleased with my attempts. In fact I was well pissed off. At this point I I thought F**k it and went for a brew.  Looked on tinternet for solutions and didn't really find anything of real help.  So after a brew it was back to the heat gun hammer and chisel.  By this time I was also resigned to the fact that I might have to have it repainted. What the hell I cant take it with me when I turn my toes up.... Can I!

I tried the solvents on the left side leaving them overnight but they're really only glue solvents for use in removing decals.  It had no effect through the laquer. so it was back to the H&C again with more care and less frustration.

Now hear is the real PITA once off it leaves a bloody horrible witness line/mark where the decal was. It does require finishing with a laquer top coat however, I don't think it will completely fill the void left by the decal and it might get a new paint coat and while I'm at it then I was considering the headlight surround and the tail end silver plastics too boot just to give a overall nicer look.  To my eye the silver is out of place and the heritage decals will look nicer on the white background rather than the silver.

Views appreciated?

Just to add there was a young lad on here Tom I think, who is obviously a lot more patient than me who I think removed his without any damage. Might be worth a look see.  I would be sure the witness line will be there on his tank too.  Perhaps it's not as bad as I'm making out and could be masked with use of a decal..... maybe!

Hope that helps anyone considering it.  I'll add a couple of picture later got to go out now.
Cheers
Archie
Archie

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
Thanks for that Archie - yes, as I recall it was you who described the witness line was left behind - which is why I was impressed (from a distance at least) at your photos...

As you say, the problem with the '16-on bikes is that section of graphic is lacquered over (unlike the main tire-track graphics which can be peeled off with a little heat) - presumably to stop the graphic lifting from your knees rubbing.

for info. (for anyone else) the 2015 matt black bikes with the yellow stripes - typically sold in the USA - while not having the the full tank lacquered, did seem to have some different glue under the knee area section - again presumably to stop them lifting/rubbing there... those are able to be removed with patience, however, as Archie says above, you have to be very careful not to scratch/damage the paintwork in that area.

I think if you're going to have the tank repainted, then yes, colour co-ordinating the rear panels under the seat in white too would look really good too - as you say, on the 2016-on bikes they are now silver (presumably to match the trim above the headlight), while on the earlier bikes these were a more subtile black like the rest of the tail.

You could even paint the small side panels (that are red on the White bikes - white on the Sand and Red bikes) white too perhaps?

Whatever you decide, I'm looking forward to seeing it all graphic'd up Archie!

Jx

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Member
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 02:46:12 PM »
Pictures as promised.

Archie

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Member
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 02:48:09 PM »
2 More.  I'm sure you will see the witness lines from the decal and the scratches on the rhs. Muppet..... I suppose it could have been worse. But not a lot.
Archie

Offline columbo-john

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Biggleswade
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »

BTW I noted on John Mitchisons thread on ADV rider last night that he has mounted the remote reservoir the other way around.  I'm guessing that will allow more slack in the hydraulic hose and less chance of it snagging on the ABS cover. Hmmmmn I may copy that as it was very tight in there.
[/quote]

Have you got a link Archie, I can't find it  :026:
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2006 BMW F650GS Dakar
1978 Honda CX500
And now..... 2016 Honda CB500X :-)

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Member
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 07:57:02 PM »
Hi John,

I thought I'd read it on Adv Rider however it was face book. See link below:
If you don't use FB it will be difficult to find elsewhere.
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try copying for you.
HTH
Archie

Offline columbo-john

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Biggleswade
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 08:34:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by ArchieAdv >>>> link hidden <<<<
Hi John,

I thought I'd read it on Adv Rider however it was face book. See link below:
If you don't use FB it will be difficult to find elsewhere.
>>>> link hidden <<<<
If it doesn't work let me know and I'll try copying for you.
HTH

Thanks Archie, I've scrolled through their recent posts but can't see it...... I'm obviously missing something lol
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2006 BMW F650GS Dakar
1978 Honda CX500
And now..... 2016 Honda CB500X :-)

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Member
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »
I've found you on FB and sent the link on there to you in a message.
Archie

Recent Topics