Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Product from Tractive Suspension RRP 531 Hydraulic PreLoad Adjust  (Read 1624 times)

Offline columbo-john

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Biggleswade
Re: New Product from Tractive Suspension RRP 531 Hydraulic PreLoad Adjust
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 08:22:07 AM »
When I first saw the hydraulic preload adjuster on the RR website, I thought "fantastic, just what I need".

I then saw it was 300 and felt I could do without. I am just about to remove the shock for the 2nd time trying to get the preload spot on and it is looking more and more like a bargain!!  :138:

Yes, I know the preload can be adjusted in situ but the ring is very hard to turn and there is bugger all access.
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2006 BMW F650GS Dakar
1978 Honda CX500
And now..... 2016 Honda CB500X :-)

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by columbo-john >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
When I first saw the hydraulic preload adjuster on the RR website, I thought "fantastic, just what I need".

I then saw it was 300 and felt I could do without. I am just about to remove the shock for the 2nd time trying to get the preload spot on and it is looking more and more like a bargain!!  :138:

Yes, I know the preload can be adjusted in situ but the ring is very hard to turn and there is bugger all access.

My thoughts exactly
Hawk

Offline Bali Davo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »

Yes , It is also a great option to instantly adjust the preload very easily in seconds when adding a passenger or luggage to the bike,
- without it it is likely you'd find yourself riding far too often with an average setting guess that is likely to be less than optimum whenever you change the carrying weight on the bike. So also a good safety feature as well
Old but not too old

Offline columbo-john

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bali Davo >>>> link hidden <<<<
Yes , It is also a great option to instantly adjust the preload very easily in seconds when adding a passenger or luggage to the bike,
- without it it is likely you'd find yourself riding far too often with an average setting guess that is likely to be less than optimum whenever you change the carrying weight on the bike. So also a good safety feature as well

I don't disagree at all, my KTM 1190 Adventure R is the first bike I have had with high quality suspension and a multitude of different settings. I don't pretend to understand the technicalities of suspension settings but know enough to appreciate the difference these make to the handling of the bike and being able to carry out the same changes ..... easily.... on the 500 would be beneficial without a doubt.

It is still 300 quid however  :155:
2006 BMW F650GS Dakar
1978 Honda CX500

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
Hi 'John - I can appreciate your [or anyone else's] concern and/or reservations...

This is why the hydraulic preload adjuster is sold as a separate/optional part - so it can always be purchased and fitted at a later date if you find you do need to adjust the shock preload regularly.

Don't forget that this assembly is required to support the whole weight of the bike and any rider/load on a hydraulic piston - and in this application (ie. a 200Kg machine more often used two-up and with luggage, and off-road terrain) why ultimately it was decided to go for the same design/build quality/function as the one Rally Raid offer for the KTM 690 - which is strong enough to handle hard off-road use (such as jumps) as well - hence the requirement for the new shock body/s to be re-designed to accommodate this oversize adjuster assembly.

It is also worth noting that when combined with the affordable LEVEL 1 shock, it still represents very good value for money for a high-quality hydraulic preload adjustable shock.

No, It's not cheap, but like all of the Rally Raid/Tractive suspension components, I trust you will appreciate the quality every day you use it.

Jx

Offline columbo-john

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
I think I've made my mind up to buy one.................... :012:

I'll put a call into RR on Tuesday and enquire about the stock etc.
2006 BMW F650GS Dakar
1978 Honda CX500

Offline columbo-john

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
I think I've made my mind up to buy one.................... :012:

I'll put a call into RR on Tuesday and enquire about the stock etc.

I made the call to RR yesterday, I spoke to Liz and was told they had the adjuster in stock and were willing to fit it FOC if I dropped it down to them. I only live about 25 miles from them so it wasn't a major issue to go down there so I made an appointment for this morning.

I removed the shock yesterday afternoon and a friend of mine and I went to the RR workshop this morning, Adam kindly offered us a cup of tea and set to work fitting the adjuster, half hour later I was walking out the door with the new parts fitted. I relieved them of a pair of off road footpegs at the same time!

An hour after getting home, the shock was refitted. Adam had told me it would be more awkward to refit due to needing to thread two parts through the frame whilst offering the shock up and he was right but was easy enough with 2 of us and fitted perfectly, I just needed to loosen the banjo ever so slightly to turn the adjuster hose round a few degrees so avoid strain. I'm poorer but happy  :046:

BTW....... I received a call at 9pm last night from John @ RR asking if I had checked the number on my shock because he didn't want me to have a wasted journey if I had an earlier type, how's that for customer service?
2006 BMW F650GS Dakar
1978 Honda CX500

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
Very interested to hear how you get on with it. Remind me, do you have the level 1 shock + RPA, or the level 1 kit? (Or is it level 2?)
Hawk

Offline Bali Davo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Not to detract anything away from this great preload adjuster .., I was just wondering is there any plans to add a black handled option ?
.., if there was a colour option available I'd personally select black as my first choice.
Old but not too old

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
*Originally Posted by Bali Davo >>>> link hidden <<<<
Not to detract anything away from this great preload adjuster .., I was just wondering is there any plans to add a black handled option ?
.., if there was a colour option available I'd personally select black as my first choice.

Hi Bali' - they only come in anodised orange I'm afraid - it's TracTive's corporate colour scheme (same as the adjuster seats on the reservoir, and the standard preload ring). However, I imagine you could take the knob off and get it power-coated if you really wanted?

Jx

Recent Topics