Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear Indicator  (Read 2492 times)

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Gear Indicator
« on: May 03, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
I have recently gotten back to riding after 35 years.  I've put a bit over 1000 miles on the bike so far and at times have had a little difficultly with figuring out what gear I'm in.

There are times that I don't get a solid click when shifting and it's unclear if it actually changed gears or not, so it throws off the mental gear count.  Then there are times when slowing down for a turn I really need to make sure I'm in 2nd gear and not 1st so I don't excessively engine break going into the turn and dump the bike.  To be sure its in 2nd I sometimes will shift down to 1st and back up to second, this takes time I don't always have in traffic.  Of course, there are also all the times trying to shift into 7th gear because I'm not certain if its in 6 or not.

So, I decided it was time to install a gear indicator.  I got the less expensive "iDea" brand off of eBay.  It plugs into the diagnostics port under the seat.  Last evening the weather finally cooperated and I took a nice long 1-1/2 hour ride in the country checking out all the flooding currently going on.  What a difference it makes knowing for sure what gear it's in!  This greatly increases confidence and decreases clutch wear.  The gear indicator is very easy to install and doesn't cost a lot.  It is well worth in in my opinion.  If you have been wondering if you should install one, I would highly recommend it.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline KMGuy

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Indicator
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 08:13:49 PM »
The gear ranges are fairly narrow on the X so I've considered it myself, I've heard of people having a mixed bag of results with the quality of the less costly Chinese import units though. I'm looking to add this and self-cancelling turn signals this season, let us know how it goes!

Offline Tom A.

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Do you have a link to the eBay item please  ?

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:38:34 PM »
This is the one I got:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

You can search "Honda gear indicator" to see all the types that are available.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline Nortoon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 09:04:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl >>>> link hidden <<<<
I have recently gotten back to riding after 35 years.  I've put a bit over 1000 miles on the bike so far and at times have had a little difficultly with figuring out what gear I'm in.

Then there are times when slowing down for a turn I really need to make sure I'm in 2nd gear and not 1st so I don't excessively engine break going into the turn and dump the bike. 

Of course, there are also all the times trying to shift into 7th gear because I'm not certain if its in 6 or not.

So, I decided it was time to install a gear indicator.  I got the less expensive "iDea" brand off of eBay.  It plugs into the diagnostics port under the seat.

I had a 25 year hiatus before returning to motorcycling, and bought a digital gear indicator for the same reasons you did. Some pooh-pooh the idea saying it isn't necessary, but it sure makes riding a lot easier.

Great buy BTW, I paid 4 times that for my GIpro-DS.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:07:13 PM by Nortoon »

Offline mark444

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 White CB500X
  • City / Town: Burpinham, Bama
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 09:13:55 PM »
I installed the China Version ($36 a year ago) and have had no problems with it. I did make a tiny sun-shade to enclose it some due to sunlight.......depends on where you have it mounted I guess. Mine is on the front brake reservoir.......some members mount theirs down in the console (in the shade??).
I ignore the comments about "not" needing one. I don't HAVE TO HAVE one, I just like using it, personally. I compare it to a Tachometer: everyone can ride a bike without a Tach, but it sure is nice having one..........
Currently: 2014 CB500X, 2008 WeeStrom, (2) 1996 GPZ1100, (2) ZX11's, 1994 CBR1000F, 1972 Honda CB750, & 1979 CSR650 Kawi.

Offline Pigeonherd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Quincy, CA
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 10:57:35 PM »
I'm almost afraid to ask (in case the answer is 'no'), but is this a plug&play item??
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline yojimg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 11:12:07 PM »
 Yes, it connects to the diagnostic connector under the saddle, and you route the wire up under/around the gas tank to the dash or wherever you want to locate it, and it mounts with double-sided tape.  Couldn't be simpler.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login by >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login, on Flickr

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:47:49 AM »
It does need to be calibrated.  It's a very simple procedure, especially if you have a center stand.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline barndog

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x
  • City / Town: belfast
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 09:23:48 AM »
Ive had my eye on one of these for a while, ill have to order next pay day

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage