Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help with partial decal removal  (Read 866 times)

Offline RedWhiteCanuck

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Ottawa, Canada
Help with partial decal removal
« on: May 21, 2017, 02:48:40 AM »
So I've been thinking about it for a while and i want to remove the ugly tread pattern decal off my bike. I haven't had issues with removing stickers or decals before since it's a simple process. I want to keep the two orange stripes but my issue is with the decal on the front fairings. The orange stripes and tread pattern are one giant decal. Does anyone have an ideal on how to separate/cut the decal without damaging the fairing or over peeling the decal itself?

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Re: Help with partial decal removal
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 03:53:10 PM »
I have been looking at doing the same thing.  I also want to keep the "500 X" as well.  I read somewhere about using an x-acto knife to cut around it but have been unsure since I don't want to cut into the paint under the decal.  I have considered getting new decals, they are fairly cheap.  Then I could remove all of the existing decal and then cut out what I want from the new ones and apply just those parts.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline dusty500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x 2016
  • City / Town: wimborne Dorset
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
I removed the whole job lot. What a difference! It changes the look of the bike completely, showing off her lines otherwise smothered with tacky (crap) tonka toy stickers .
It is now refered to as the baby A.T by my biker buddies.
If the decals are cheap anyway why don't you just remove the lot and think about it rather than risk slicing some paint (much more expensive to replace)!!
Check out my pics under de-stickered my bike search.

Offline RedWhiteCanuck

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ottawa, Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 01:35:36 AM »
I might look into getting the decals and cutting them. And Dusty500, I've seen the post, looks nice. I'd like to keep the orange stripes though since it ties in with my orange diablo pro tank bag. If anyone comes up with a brilliant idea on how to separate the decal without damaging the fairings, I'm all ears.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:09:03 AM »
The only way I can safely see cutting the decals without damaging the paint is to start by peeling the decal from the bottom. Then when you have the tire tread lifted up and you're almost to the stripe portion, use a very sharp knife held parallel or flat to the surface of the tank to cut the decal. You could even practice this by trying it at the very bottom of the decal. There is enough there to practice a few times prior to reaching the stripe.

If that doesn't work, probably best to buy a new set and cut it prior to installation.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Windseeker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Vancouver-ish
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 02:30:36 AM »
Be careful removing the stickers! I know you want to keep the orange stripe, which is good because the one on the fuel tank should not be removed. Found that out today...
I made post about it here >>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Ockrocket

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2016
  • City / Town: Windsor, NSW Aus
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by dusty500 >>>> link hidden <<<<
I removed the whole job lot. What a difference! It changes the look of the bike completely, showing off her lines otherwise smothered with tacky (crap) tonka toy stickers .
It is now refered to as the baby A.T by my biker buddies.
If the decals are cheap anyway why don't you just remove the lot and think about it rather than risk slicing some paint (much more expensive to replace)!!
Check out my pics under de-stickered my bike search.

Couldn't find your post with the search box Dusty.. maybe you can add a link to it in this thread.
 :440:
It is more important to live life than to fear death.

Current bikes-
*Honda CB500XA -2016 model *Suzuki DR650SE -2011 model *Honda VF500F with sidecar -1985 model

Offline Lysdexic

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Chiang Mai
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 03:15:58 AM »
I deleted the whole mess - if Honda wants me to fly their logo they can pay me ;)
I like the look of it much better this way, looking into powder coating the silver bits like the passenger peg mount to match the tank paint.

Offline AntOne

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »
I removed the tacky tire tread decals but kept the grey line as I think it looks better than having no decals at all. I just got a sharp stanley knife and used a ruler to cut the decal between the line and the treadmark using the bottom edge of the grey line as a guide. Once the decal was cut, I just peeled off the lower tread area using a hair drying to help it along. I also got rid of the CB500X decal and painted the side panel black.

This is the best pic I have for now.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:59:46 AM by AntOne »

Offline rav819

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 01:34:27 PM »
Hey AntOne.....your bike looks great like that.....I love the eyes on your windscreen in the photo......mine always looks back at me too.....peace

Recent Topics