Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PUIG "Touring" Windscreen  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Monje

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: NOCO
PUIG "Touring" Windscreen
« on: May 27, 2017, 09:35:59 PM »
I installed a new PUIG “Touring” windscreen today.  Here is a link to the product description: >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login  I paid $107.50 (US).  I was looking for something to reduce buffeting at higher speeds.  The reviews were favorable for a variety of bikes and the price was right.

Installation was simple to the stock mount.  I had previously moved the mount to its higher position as I’m about 6 foot 3 inches.  PUIG provides new bolts, screws and washers for the install.  The bolt extends the screen out from the mount by about a centimeter.

Weather for first test ride was breezy with some showers.  The ride was brief.  Got up to 60 mph into a headwind for maximum speed.  I do want to see how it performs at 75 mph for the real test.  Right away I noticed a decrease in buffeting to the chest area.  Helmet wind noise seemed reduced as well.  In light showers it seemed to reduce spray to my helmet visor.

I’ve included a few photos to show size comparison, the bolt extension from the mount and overall look.  I’m pleased with the noticeable improvement and will post a followup once I get more riding time in.

My sympathy’s to those in the UK suffering from the recent tragedy.

ATGATT,

Monje
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:39:33 PM by Monje »
- Monje
Colorful Colorado

Offline roadscum

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: North Port, Fl.
Re: PUIG "Touring" Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »
Thanks for the comprehensive review Monje, well done!  :046:

Paul

Offline Monje

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:02:08 PM »
Unfortunately the pictures are upside down or sideways.  Lack of technique on my part I guess.
- Monje
Colorful Colorado

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA-G
  • City / Town: Hexham
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 10:49:36 PM »
Hi Monje,
Many thanks for your clear review.
Any chance of a side-on photo with more bike so we can see how the screen looks in relation to the lines of the bike?
Thanks,
Steve
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Offline paulhen

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chiang Mai
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 02:21:44 AM »
Monje - does the Puig have a "beaded" edge the same as the stock screen or is it heat formed from a flat piece of plexiglass such that it has a cut/machined edge as it is fabricated?

Offline Monje

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 03:26:25 AM »
It does not have the beaded edge like the stock screen.  The description at
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login mentions the two different types of materials most screens are made of and advantages and disadvantages of both.  I don't recall the type this screen is made of.
- Monje
Colorful Colorado

Offline Monje

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 03:35:36 AM »
Here is a profile view of the bike and screen.  I think it blends in nicely.

I did make a run up our local interstate highway to see how things were at higher speeds.  Went up to 72 mph on a fair evening and remain pleased at the improvement over the stock screen.  I prefer not to drive the four lane interstate highways but do feel more comfortable with this windscreen.

PUIG does make a companion visor for this screen for another $65 US or so.  I didn't go for it to save some money.  Might at some later date.  Do those visors make much difference?
- Monje
Colorful Colorado

Offline Bern_Grt

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Monje >>>> link hidden <<<<
I installed a new PUIG “Touring” windscreen today.
Monje

Add an unpleasant ~8 miles motorway ride yesterday. Gusts of wind coming at an angle, mainly from my left (south west), dirty air from lorries & vans, at speeds of ~70mph... turbulences/buffeting a gogo from the chest up and on top of that, I had forgotten the earplugs... yuck ! Having got home and reading this thread, I thought... I wonder if this Puig would help, let's check the prices...
Fast forward to the very early hours of this morning, no traffic on the back roads I favour to get to work and not a breath of wind. At some stage, there is a nice long stretch with good all round visibility so speedwise, I was going... lets just say at least as fast as yesterday, and then some ! No turbulences, no buffeting, just good clean air. With the earplugs properly fitted, it was great and I got to work with a great big smile on my face :)
The Puig order is on hold for now but as I am also over 6' (6'1") I am looking forward to read about your experience with this screen on a longer term.
Bern.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA-G
  • City / Town: Hexham
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Monje >>>> link hidden <<<<
Here is a profile view of the bike and screen.  I think it blends in nicely.

Hi Monje - thank you for the side view - as you say, the Puig screen fits well with the look of the bike - it hasn't ruined the simple lines and it doesn't look like a 'barn door'
Keep the reports coming - you have a thirsty audience!
Steve
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Monje

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 06:29:56 PM »
Thought I would update my post on the windscreen.  I had made a nice trip up to Rocky Mountain National Park and back.  On the return I was on a stretch of road with 55 mph speed limit.  I deliberately tried stretching my body up to stick my helmet out of the protection zone of the windscreen (imagine a turtle).  Can't say how far up this stretch added to my normal riding stance at this speed.  I did notice a distinct barrier where my helmet got up into the unprotected space.  So at 55 mph I'm getting a distinct benefit from the screen.

As I was riding at this speed there were some light rain showers.  I could hear the rain on the top of my helmet but had very little on my helmet visor.

Another thing I've noticed is perhaps less protection to my arms versus the stock screen.  The PUIG screen is narrower than the stock screen so this seemed to make some sense.

Overall still pleased with the purchase for my particular riding habits.

All the best to you, enjoy our summer season!
- Monje
Colorful Colorado

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage