Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mods to CB500X when adding Rally Raid Stage 3  (Read 1800 times)

Online slowrider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X Rally Raid
  • City / Town: Surbiton
Mods to CB500X when adding Rally Raid Stage 3
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:49:35 AM »
Hi JMo,

I should receive the full Rally Raid Stage 3 kit soon, so I am re visiting all the great You Tube videos that you and Juan Browne have put together.

I have already removed much of the under seat plastic moulding that is designed for holding a U-Lock and the other erroneous bits I can only imagine are used in the manufacturing assembly process (I did spend a lot of time investigating if the plastic bits sticking up were structural or required for supporting the seat etc, but decided as you did that it was ok to remove).   

It is amazing how much you can pack in under the seat once the plastic is removed with a Dremel. I remember when I picked up the bike and was given the walk through by the dealer that he said not much room under there.   I am still experimenting with the best configuration and already have a compressor, puncture repair kit + CO2 bulbs for belt and braces, Rok Straps, Cable ties, plastic gloves, basic tool kit, extra spare fuses and chain alignment tool.    Need to add various tape and glues and a few more tools and I can just leave it all there and forget about it.

I am sure that some will say this is all a bit overkill, but I can say I have used all this basic stuff on every trip I have done, either for my bike or a mates.

SO, after that long winded introduction.. Is there anything you would have done different to your install or set up.   I ask as much in life is derived from experimentation and iteration and you may have a better slightly modified set up/configuration now.

One thing you missed from your videos as an essential item is an Umbrella..........   Scoff as you may, as everyone I have been riding with has done.  But when you need to fix something in the rain it makes life so much easier. Also when in the searing heat having a rest an umbrella is great at offering some shade.

Have fun,
(I am sure you are having fun somewhere in the world)

Slowrider

Having fun with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade
Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Mods to CB500X when adding Rally Raid Stage 3
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 12:35:03 AM »
Hi Slowrider! Sounds like you got things pretty well sorted already - trimming those excess plastic mouldings on the under-tray away is a good idea - and as you say, the key is to carry stuff you've genuinely used before, not load up with 'just in case' items and spares... I would always try and prioritise those tools and bodge-it items like zip-ties, quick-steel and duct tape that will get you moving again, to a place were a more permanent repair [as required] can be carried out successfully.

Certainly since my >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login trip (where I carried a pocket sized electrical meter, spare levers and some other odds and ends I never even touched) I've been able to refine my underseat set-up a little further, although I'd say it's about optimum now.

I still like to use individual tools when possible, but I have to admit the Motion Pro Metric Trail Tool really is an excellent 'adjustment' kit to have under your seat, or even in your pocket if you are swapping between bikes. Supplement it with a decent Leatherman multi-tool/knife and most eventualities are going to be covered...

My packing light presentation shows/lists the latest selection of tools/spares I carry (slideshow below). Personally speaking if you've already got a decent compressor, I'd not bother with the C02 cartridges... In the past I've carried a small bicycle pump [in my Camelbak] as an emergency back-up and to partially inflate tubes, but these days I'm confident my Bestrest Cycle-pump will work when I need it to.

Similarly, I wouldn't say a chain alignment tool is essential, but if it fits under there, then why not?!

If you [or anyone else] have not seen my current packing list, the video it here:

The only thing I omitted to include was a cable repair kit (the kind that typically comes in a little tin with assorted screw-on nipples and lengths of clutch and throttle cable inners) - that makes a lot more sense than trying to pack complete spare cables with you.

In fact I'll be finalising my packing for my next big trip (up into Canada and across the bordering United States in the coming weeks) this weekend, and you can expect a comprehensive ride report later this summer!

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions of course...

Jenny x

ps. an umbrella... you'll be saying I need a camping chair next too ;o)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:46:38 AM by JMo »

Offline columbo-john

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Biggleswade
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »
I love these kinds of conversation...... in 4 weeks time, myself and 5 other guys (me on my 500x RR3) are heading east from the UK through Europe, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Laos and ending up in Thailand where we ship the bikes back and fly home ourselves.

Imagine the conversation we have been having about riding kits, tools, spares, tyres, service items etc. etc. I could write a book about this element of the trip alone.

My conclusion is seek advice from people who have done similar things before and then decide for yourself what you think is good or otherwise. Bit by bit you then realise what makes sense and what doesn't, what's worth carrying and what isn't.

I don't think I have the right answer by any means, but I do have an answer that I am comfortable with.

Cheers, John.
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2006 BMW F650GS Dakar
1978 Honda CX500
And now..... 2016 Honda CB500X :-)

Offline bonaroo row

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:54:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Hi Slowrider! Sounds like you got things pretty well sorted already - trimming those excess plastic mouldings on the under-tray away is a good idea - and as you say, the key is to carry stuff you've genuinely used before, not load up with 'just in case' items and spares... I would always try and prioritise those tools and bodge-it items like zip-ties, quick-steel and duct tape that will get you moving again, to a place were a more permanent repair [as required] can be carried out successfully.

Certainly since my >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login trip (where I carried a pocket sized electrical meter, spare levers and some other odds and ends I never even touched) I've been able to refine my underseat set-up a little further, although I'd say it's about optimum now.

I still like to use individual tools when possible, but I have to admit the Motion Pro Metric Trail Tool really is an excellent 'adjustment' kit to have under your seat, or even in your pocket if you are swapping between bikes. Supplement it with a decent Leatherman multi-tool/knife and most eventualities are going to be covered...

My packing light presentation shows/lists the latest selection of tools/spares I carry (slideshow below). Personally speaking if you've already got a decent compressor, I'd not bother with the C02 cartridges... In the past I've carried a small bicycle pump [in my Camelbak] as an emergency back-up and to partially inflate tubes, but these days I'm confident my Bestrest Cycle-pump will work when I need it to.

Similarly, I wouldn't say a chain alignment tool is essential, but if it fits under there, then why not?!

If you [or anyone else] have not seen my current packing list, the video it here:

The only thing I omitted to include was a cable repair kit (the kind that typically comes in a little tin with assorted screw-on nipples and lengths of clutch and throttle cable inners) - that makes a lot more sense than trying to pack complete spare cables with you.

In fact I'll be finalising my packing for my next big trip (up into Canada and across the bordering United States in the coming weeks) this weekend, and you can expect a comprehensive ride report later this summer!

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions of course...

Jenny x

ps. an umbrella... you'll be saying I need a camping chair next too ;o)

Thanks for the vid on packing light.  Very helpful. 

Could you please give some info on the windscreen shown in that vid?  Looks like a custom job.

I just ordered up the rest of the RR kit to make it L3 and then some.  Very stoked to get my NOS 2015 Cb500x out of the street bike category.

Online slowrider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »
Hi Jenny,

Re your ps. "an umbrella... you'll be saying I need a camping chair next too ;o)"    You put that thought in my head, so I bought one.   You have to try a Helinox Chair One.  It makes camping so, so, so much more pleasurable.   Ending the day and being able to sit and chill.   It packs down so small and weighs virtually nothing.

Slowrider

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by bonaroo row >>>> link hidden <<<<
Thanks for the vid on packing light.  Very helpful. 

Could you please give some info on the windscreen shown in that vid?  Looks like a custom job.

I just ordered up the rest of the RR kit to make it L3 and then some.  Very stoked to get my NOS 2015 Cb500x out of the street bike category.

Hi Bonaroo - glad to be of help!

With regard to the screen on my white bike (in the video above), that is the Honda Genuine Accessory 'tall' screen for the 2013-15 models. It costs around $115 USD as I recall.

Have fun putting your bike together - I know you'll have fun riding it ;o)

Jx

Offline Prestone

• CB500X Newbie
  • bikes, boobs and guns, what more do i need
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/ZRX1200R
  • City / Town: Silkeborg
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 11:19:15 AM »
@ slowrider.

Do you have a picture of your compartment under the seat after the trimming ? I have been thinking about doing it myself.

P.

Online slowrider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »

Is dark here now, I will take the photo tomorrow.

Ian

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 12:41:25 AM »
Aha, this has prompted me to also re-photograph my under-seat area (no sniggering at the back please!)

>>>> link hidden <<<<

My tool list is much the same as in the video above, other than - and this is a handy tip for anyone looking for a bargain - I've decided to substitute the Motion-Pro Trail Tool with individual tools again after all... Currently Cycle-Gear have the Stockton folding T-handle set on sale for under $10!

This kit includes a folding 1/4" T-handle, plus 8/10/12/13/14mm sockets - ie. all the OEM sizes you need for the CB, plus 13mm if you've replaced any nuts with M8 nylocs (such as the two that hold the headlamp frame to the headstock).

I've also included individual 3/4/5/6mm allen keys (instead of the two combo ones you get in the Motion-Pro set), and together with my Leatherman Wave (which essentially duplicated the cross-head and straight screwdrivers) basically covers everything the Trail Tool had.

Together with my existing OEM Honda tool kit combo open-ended wrenches: 10/12mm and 14/17mm, plus a separate 13mm one for the chain adjuster block nylocs - and all of the above tools fit in the Stockton pouch, than in turn fits in the centre recess under the seat.

Finally, I already have a 3/8th drive socket adapter for my Motion-Pro T6 tyre levers (the trio in 22mm - Yamaha / 24mm - Honda/Suzuki / 27mm - KTM), so the one on the Trail Tool was unnecessary, so the only thing I'm actually missing now is a bottle opener - which I'm pretty sure is on my Leatherman anyway.

I took this opportunity to reorganise things under the seat - I'd already trimmed some of the ribs away as Slowrider had suggested, but trimmed a few more so that everything fits neatly - even though the bag for my Cycle-Pump compressor is actually thicker than before, and now contains the complete puncture kit/bead-buddy and valve puller too.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. ribs/posts cut down, and rubber band removed.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. 3 full-size tyre levers/wrenches in place.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. all my bodge-it spares now sit in the well vacated by the Motion-Pro Trail Tool.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Kriega Kube (1 litre) perfect for compressor and other puncture kit - and more padded than the original bag for the compressor.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. Stockton tool pouch is much larger than the Motion-Pro one, meaning the sockets, trio of open ended wrenches, allen keys and Leatherman all fit comfortably inside.

The only other tools I carry are the 3/8th drive 17mm & 19mm sockets (in the plastic bag next to the tool pouch) for the Rally Raid engine guard and rear axle itself.

Hope that helps anyone on a quest for a minimal and efficient trail tool kit, that can be carried on the bike at all times!

Jenny x

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:54:19 AM by JMo »

Online slowrider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 09:13:30 AM »

You have spurred me to do a bit of re-wiring.  I used a Halford's fuse box for the additional circuits.  But it looks far better using another CB500X fusebox. 

Recent Topics