Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear carrier recommendation  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Memphis
Rear carrier recommendation
« on: June 15, 2017, 03:46:43 AM »
Has anyone installed a sturdy rear carrier that doesn't require deleting the grab handles? They sure make garage dancing more fun. :002:
Thanks, T
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
Re: Rear carrier recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:21:15 AM »
Only one I've found. Quality unknown at this point. Probably my next purchase. Keep me posted if you get one.

>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:24:24 AM by CB-500-X »
The search button is your friend

Offline Bueno58

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »
I just bought and installed one of these.   It is actually advertised to have no instructions, however if you look at the pictures it is easy to figure out. The main thing is that you install the support brackets underneath where the stock grab arms go. You use the same bolts that came with the Honda to attach the support brackets and grab arms to the frame. About 30 minutes for the mechanically unskilled.    It looks pretty good once installed, and the shipping is insanely fast considering it comes from Thailand.
2007 Yamaha Star Roadliner
2017 Honda CB500XA

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bueno58 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
I just bought and installed one of these.   It is actually advertised to have no instructions, however if you look at the pictures it is easy to figure out. The main thing is that you install the support brackets underneath where the stock grab arms go. You use the same bolts that came with the Honda to attach the support brackets and grab arms to the frame. About 30 minutes for the mechanically unskilled.    It looks pretty good once installed, and the shipping is insanely fast considering it comes from Thailand.
Fit and finish ??? is it sturdy enough for a heavy-ish top case ??? think it will hold up in general ??? sorry lots of questions.  :158:

Offline Bueno58

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:40:10 AM »
Good quality, holes match up without too much difficulty.  The support arms are of thicker material than the rack itself.  Essentially, overpriced for what it is, but good quality.  Finish was fine.  No complaints.

Regarding "heavyish" top case, I don't know what that means.  There are no weight ratings given.  Keep in mind this is a 471cc bike.  You shouldn't be mounting elephants on the back.  It appears like it would hold a decent sized case appropriate to the bike.  Because everyone else publishes ridiculously low carrying weights on their carriers, YMMV.  I have a 2017 and Givi Bike Specific Mounts are not yet available.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:43:21 AM by Bueno58 »
2007 Yamaha Star Roadliner
2017 Honda CB500XA

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 02:00:51 AM »
Thank you for the info. I am using a small caribou case equivalent with maybe a soft bag strapped to it. I now use them strapped to the seat with roc straps. Nothing heavy, maybe 30 lbs loaded.  Should be just fine. Just wanted to make sure to get someones opinion who actually handled one in person. I might get a dry bag such as dryspec D38 and lay it lengthwise on the seat. With a this rack I will get more room to move around and still use part of the seat so weight wont be an issue.

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »
This looks like an good fit. Pictures please? I have the same idea that a gear bag strapped lengthwise to the seat and rack would carry quite well or an empty case for helmet, jacket safe keeping. Thanks, T
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 11:15:52 PM »
Sorry T don't have the rack nor that bag as of yet.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »
Here's  a video of a similar setup

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 02:20:19 AM »
Dry spec D38 looks like a good addition to this rack. I'm currently using a Torrent 25L cross pillion strapped, learning to pack and deciding on bolt-ons for the long haul. Budgeting Sidi Gor-Tex boots first, then a couple of weeks for the Thailand rack. Thanks, T

Recent Topics