Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear carrier recommendation  (Read 4278 times)

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
Re: Rear carrier recommendation
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2017, 12:18:53 AM »
Before you take it apart note that on the left front bolt that goes to the hand rail has a small metal part that holds the cable that comes from the lock, make sure you remember how it attaches. Nothing complicated just note where it goes.
I also did not need spacers. However my rack mounting arms were not correctly aligned, I had to bend them a little to fit flat/flush with each other. Mount it with the handles and the take a look at how the two arms align. They can be adjusted either with washers as spacers or by bending with a 2x4 piece of wood.
The search button is your friend

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Memphis
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2017, 12:24:38 AM »
Duly noted. Thank you Sir, T
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2017, 12:28:39 AM »
You're welcome T ! BTW I just bought a set of Shad carrier mounting arms cheap used in case I decide to mount side cases. Although these are meant for a top case I plan to modify them to mount a small pair of pelicans cases . This way I don't need to build mounting and supports. A future project.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:40:55 AM by CB-500-X »
The search button is your friend

Offline Faddy Daddy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Pacific NW
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2017, 01:30:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
The whole idea is to retain the original handles. Almost every other rack, and there's a lot of them, do away with the handles. This is the only rack that leaves them intact , as the original question posted in this thread.

What about the OEM rear carrier? It looks similar to the one from Thailand.
I'm probably missing something obvious here but want to be sure I get all the info sorted out before making my luggage purchases :)
The OEM part (08L71-MGZ-A80ZA) can be found for $169 plus shipping I think here:
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Couldn't a Shad case or a Givi Monolock be mounted on this as both include a bottom plate? Also, looking at the install instructions I believe it does retain the grab bars. I know it doesn't have as many mounting points as some other racks which attach to the passenger foot peg bracket as well, but again, it is similar to the Thailand one.

Offline Faddy Daddy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2017, 01:32:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X >>>> link hidden <<<<
You're welcome T ! BTW I just bought a set of Shad carrier mounting arms cheap used in case I decide to mount side cases. Although these are meant for a top case I plan to modify them to mount a small pair of pelicans cases . This way I don't need to build mounting and supports. A future project.

Doesn't this rack also retain the grab rails?
Ha ha, sorry in that I don't mean to be argumentative, I'm just confused and thinking maybe I'm missing something.

Offline kurth83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: San Jose
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2017, 02:06:30 AM »
Yes the OEM rear carrier has grab rails, I use 'em to attach tow straps.
And yes, the givi plate fits it fine.

Shown is a bottom up view of the givi plate mounted to the OEM top rack, and one of givi's largest cases attached.

The two bolts circled in red show what holds the plate on.
I used stainless bolts with stainless nylon-insert lock-nuts.

Offline Faddy Daddy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2017, 02:13:44 AM »
Ahh, thanks kurth83.
I think I'd feel more secure if you could get 4 bolts on it, but still, as long as you don't load up too much weight....

Offline kurth83

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: San Jose
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2017, 03:18:55 AM »
I went and looked at it again, I was slightly wrong, the grip handles are part of the Honda side carrier, you can see them in the pic, it was an older bike (GS650) that had them as part of the rear carrier.

You could use all four holes if you moved the top case forward, it would cover some of the pillion seat however, might make removal of the plate necessary to pull the seat.

I would feel more comfy if the plate was metal and not plastic myself

The Honda plate (for the Honda top carrier, and also plastic) fits a little better in that it uses all four holes and does not eclipse the pillion seat, but I wanted the larger Givi case so I made the compromise.

Offline cheshire lad

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb500x
  • City / Town: sale
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »
Uncle Tee, Go for the 'Shad' version, which fits perfectly and retains the grab rails. Also the 'Shad' top box is pretty good too. With the box off it leaves a useful rear carrier. Further, the rail could be used to hang saddlebags if that's your thing. Had mine fitted for 12 months with no problems. :152: Ted R.

Offline dilz000

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: sandbach
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2017, 06:28:18 PM »
Hi im new here...

Ive just purchased the Shad top master and the Shad top case sh39 after reading up in this thread. Im from the UK put purchased from motardinn, which are located in france. 150ish delivered for both which i couldn't complain at.

Ill post up once they have came and are fitted

Recent Topics