Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Westxploration: A coast to coast trip!  (Read 4271 times)

Pan and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline julman99

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: NYC
Re: Westxploration: A coast to coast trip!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 03:40:14 AM »
Wait for the Sena 10C Evo that should be coming out in a month or so, it has an improved camera. I offered myself to Sena to take a trial on this trip but they didn't have any more trial models (according to them)

Day 5 is done, I am eating dinner and will post the update afterwards!
Follow me at:
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline julman99

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 04:47:43 AM »
Day 5: Glacier Park, Going to the sun road - 370 miles

Today I left Great Falls, MT and went north. The idea was to go through Glacier Park, specifically via Going to the Sun Rd. The closer I got to the mountains the more epic the landscape turned. Finally I reached the mountains and it was exactly how I expected it to be... let me correct... it was WAY better than I expected.

Basically you go up the mountain and the views are out of this world. I crossed the entire mountain west to east, and then I thought "what the hell, I am going to do it again". I turned around and I climbed the mountain :001:. The second time I stopped at the summit and walked around a bit.

I had a close call on my first run. Basically there is a big stone wall that has streams of water pouring next to the road. The water falls into a concrete surface. I saw the cars in front of me steering right, putting the right tires into the concrete surface so the water splash half of the car. I wanted to go under the stream of water (childish) and went into the concrete ground with my bike, and big mistake. It was super ultra slippery, so I tried to go back on the road but it is not at the same level, so I slipped when trying to merge. I honestly don't know how I didn't go down, after I recovered it I tried to brake with the rear, and the ABS kicked in just by touching the rear brake. I had to coast down that surface until it met with the asphalt a bit later. I got the whole thing in my GoPro and will post it at some point!

After that, I headed down south again, to Missoula, MT using backroads. I got to the hotel pretty tired, but it was worth it.

Once in the hotel, I did my daily routine, check-in, unload the bike and then check oil level, coolant level, rear brake fluid, stop light and I inspect the chain to see if the oiler is working and check the slack visually. So far the X has been wonderful.

My rear tire is starting to square a bit. I put the Bridgestone T30Evo just before the trip. I think it will hold up.

Cheers!
Follow me at:
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline julman99

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 04:51:26 AM »
More photos, the first one is the place where I almost went down. I took a picture on my second run.

Follow me at:
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Poppy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Valencia, Calif.
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 05:11:09 AM »
What an adventure you're on! Enjoying reading about it.  :152: :305:

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 08:00:42 AM »
That waterfall sure is strange, I have never seen anything pour into the road. It is beautiful. I am glad that you are ok. I love ABS on my bike, but I consider my ABS cutoff switch a very good purchase.
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • My new bike
    • View Profile
  • Bike: dl1000 CB500X
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
Epic what you are doing, Be safe glad you turned around and took some time. I have traveled all over the US for work my regret is not taking time to enjoy the area. Always thinking I would go back.
Newman's first law: It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down. Paul Newman

Offline julman99

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 04:03:10 AM »
Day 6, 400 miles today, 3200 total
1million bugs killed

Left Missoula, MT around 8:30am and headed towards US 12. When I was planning my trip, I read awesome things about US 12, and they were all true. It is 2+ hours of windy roads, high speed turns, spectacular scenery and nature. Very few cars around and enough passing zones to be happy in case you find one. US 12 also crosses the border between Montana and Idaho, the surface on the Idaho side is not as good as in Montana, but it is good enough! There are no gas stations for about 100miles so you need to take precaution, there is a big warning sign though.

Once I left the forest I kept riding through US 12 and in the GPS I saw a crazy windy road, and I decided to explore. The road is Route 11 and it was insanely good. You go up a hill for about 15min and get to see the entire valley. After my adrenaline rush, I made a U turn and went back down to US12 and continued my journey.

Then I cruised for 3 and a half hours on Washington landscapes, I set the Google Maps to avoid Interstates since I want to see the country. My final destination was a farm next to Ellensburg, WA and to get here I rode through the Yakima Canyon, great road.

Man, I am going to get spoiled with all this beauty and these great roads!

Cheers!

Follow me at:
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline julman99

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 04:06:28 AM »
More photos from Day 6

The last photo is the Airbnb I found to spend the night, it is an apartment in a Farm, and the views are astonishing!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:12:10 AM by julman99 »
Follow me at:
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline michvin

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Jersey, USA
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »
You might completely loose desire to do weekend rides after this...

Offline julman99

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2017, 06:15:37 AM »
Day 7, 400miles, 3900 total

I left the farm early, around 7am and went for breakfast in Yakima, WA. Then I headed to some area I found in Google Maps called "Paradise". It is without any doubt a paradise. I honestly never expected it, I thought it was going to be a cool road in a mountain, and it is, only that the mountain is very high and there is snow and incredible landscapes!

I went up and down through two mountains (the road crosses both mountains) and stopped at the summit in the second one. After 20min of extreme relaxation in the middle of nowhere, I headed down.

The plan then was to take a road called 2515 rd. to go south, then cross Portland and head to the coast. First of all, the 2515 road surface is crap, holes everywhere, bumps, you name it, I was not enjoying the ride. I did about 30min to find a "ROAD CLOSED" sign, which made me really angry. Now the only possible route was to go back those 30min, plus one entire hour that took me to get to that road, it meant I basically lost 2 hours or more of the day.

I went back pretty angry, and headed to the interstate to try to make up some time back. I had to stop in a rest area to calm down since I was still pissed of. I stayed there for 20 minutes or so and found on Google Maps some forest in Oregon that would allow me to get to the coast without riding through the interstate or highway, so that made me happy.

Long story short, I rode through some amazing roads in Oregon and finally made to the famous 101! And it started to rain but I didn't care, I just wanted to get to the coast, and the closer I got the bigger my smile was.

Finally I stopped at the first view point and there it was, the Pacific Ocean, barely visible because of the rain. The sensation of accomplishment was unreal, and then (you are allowed make fun of me) I cried. It was 3900 miles, 6 days of hot and cold weather, rain, adrenaline, happiness, satisfaction, pain, only me and my X through the entire US, and finally we reached the west coast.

That was a moment I will never forget in my life.

Cheers guys!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:23:23 AM by julman99 »
Follow me at:
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage