Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First interstate run  (Read 447 times)

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Memphis
First interstate run
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:27:14 AM »
Thanks to the cool weather this morning, I decided on a road ride. I don't have to be anywhere, west seemed good till the sun was high enough to come back without squinting. Running 80mph with tractor trailers all around and other bikers without helmets is new to me. Buffeting, not inconsequential, was fairly predictable, manageable. I got back to town, feet down maybe three times in 190miles, baby steps.
Quick stop at new restaurant, 10 miles from home, where I lost my favorite sunglasses, bringing a grand total of about $2.00 a mile.
C'est la vie, T :138:
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Trenton TN
Re: First interstate run
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:30:35 AM »
It was a beautiful day for riding! Hope we enjoy many more. It does feel odd to see other riders without helmets, don't think I'd enjoy it on a bike with such a small windshield. Too bad about the sunglasses.
Ride safe,
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
Hoping for some decent riding weather this weekend - ouch on the sunglasses, I now wear Reaction lens specs all the time, so although they are a pain to get on and off with the helmet, at least I never leave them anywhere.... :017:
The Story So Far.........

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »
Bug on a windshield comes to mind when I rode the interstate.  :080:
Artist also known as ben2go.
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Online SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »
My first run on the interstate with the X was very intense!  I came down the blind on ramp to discover a pack of semi's.  I had one in front, one behind and one to my left.  It is an understatement to say I was not thrilled.  As soon as there was an opening I blasted out of there!

My daily 18 mile commute includes a 3 mile stretch of interstate.  The only other way across the channel would add about 16 miles to the trip.  I wish they had left the old state highway bridge in place but it was removed almost 20 years ago.  Seems dumb to me to funnel all traffic in the area across one choke point.  It has been a nightmare whenever they have to do major maintenance on the bridge.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Member
  • My new bike
    • View Profile
  • Bike: dl1000 CB500X
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 04:07:13 PM »
I have a 27 mile commute, I started riding the interstate after about a week on state hwy. The morning was crazy every road had a line of cars trying to jump out on the highway. I was late one morning and thought the interstate is much faster. We have two lanes of trucks all the time, but no cars pulling out in front of me. I listen to music and can plan my day in my head. I now ride the interstate both ways everyday. I never thought I would but it feels safer than the hwy with driveways and side roads.
Newman's first law: It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down. Paul Newman

Online SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:17:47 PM »
I do have an alternate route that would reduce the interstate portion to a little over a mile but still have to cross the bridge.  The problem with this alternate is I end up at a light that doesn't sense the bike and never changes for me until a car pulls up behind me.  That can be more than 5 minutes sometimes.  There is significant cross traffic at that light so not much opportunity to just go on red.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline Uncle Tee

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Memphis
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 09:06:07 PM »
It was a good run; fast moderate commercial traffic, no surprises, easy to navigate If it was a daily commute, not so much, typically there's a rush hour accident snarl crossing the bridge couple of times a week. Occasional A to B blasting in the sunshine won't be a problem.
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage