Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Greetings  (Read 653 times)

Offline Godders

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Portsmouth
Greetings
« on: June 30, 2017, 10:03:33 PM »
Hi all,
first confession -I don't own a Bike and haven't done so since the 80's (CB400N super dream) -so  there it is out in the open.
I'm on this forum as I am  having  a midlife crisis, i'm thinking of getting my bike licence (dont ask) and a bike.
I always loved the CX500 still do-and now I  love the look of the CB500x -but my question is;
is it powerful enough to satisfy, some folks ive read seem to say its slightly under powered -possibly when loaded up  and on motorway .
I'm also thinking of the BMW F700GS  as a possible alternative -but the CB is a far better looking machine  to my mind .
-I would be using it for weekend jaunts and maybe europe occasionally.
I would value your comments -cheers -sorry its a bit disjointed
Godders

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:38:45 PM »
Hi Godders - welcome to the forum regardless of your doubts and not having a bike - yet.
Only you can determine the suitability of one bike for your riding style and purposes - the CB500X can do all that you mention - commute; tour; etc. (I just rode 2 full days; 650 miles, mixed A, B and motorways - solo with hard case luggage - and the only bother I had was with very strong cross-winds - which in fairness gave a group of Harley riders cause for concern too.)
In my opinion the CB500X would be as good a starting place as any to build confidence and either use as a C2 license stop-gap or move on to bigger and possibly more specific touring machines.
I agree the BMW's don't look as good (especially from the front) but when you sit on one and ride, the looks really aren't noticeable.
Maybe also consider Suzuki DL650 VStrom - which also has a very good forum.
Start with the license and build your riding from there.
Steve

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Godders [+]
is it powerful enough to satisfy,
Godders

The answer has to be in the thread by the guy riding 8000 miles across the USA right now. You need more than that ?

In the UK I am constantly backing off the throttle to save my licence.

Last year I did southern Spain and back followed by Northern Italy and back.

In my view the alternative with more power and less driving licence is the Tracer 700.
Brian.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
Congratulations on your mid-life crisis - I'm on at least my 4th -

Built a kit car
Changed it for an MGF
Changed that for an MX5 (Miata)
Now back on bikes and it's the best one yet!

I've had a couple of fast 650's (Suzuki SV650S and Hyosung copy), and really the performance difference is marginal, up to say 90-100mph anyway.  Yes, the 650 would wheelie away like a scalded cat, but that only scared me (!), it revs a bit less at any given speed, and will hit 120-130mph or more, but I have to say the X does it all for me, plenty of performance, easy overtaking, and all in reliable comfort.

The V-Strom 650 mentioned by Steve could be worth a look, that Suzuki V-twin engine is a cracker, and the Yamaha Tracer Brian suggested is a beaut too, maybe a bit 'lively' if my ride on a MT07 with the same engine is anything to go by! :005:

I rented a Kawasaki Versys 650 earlier this year and LOVED it, so add that to your list, although like the V-Strom it's a bit bigger/heavier/taller than the X, and probably the Tracer.

I did look at a BMW GS650 before the Honda, but it was pretty tall and the choice was clear to me, the Honda dealer was much better to deal with, and I expect running costs and servicing to be cheaper too.

There is a lot of love for the X on this site, and it is well placed!!

ALEX.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:22:02 AM by AJC500 »
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage