Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: when to shift  (Read 1387 times)

Offline dpwell

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vancouver BC
when to shift
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:57:37 PM »
hi - I like to ride around 50 - to 55 km/hr in the city. By the time I reach 50 I'm usually in 3rd at around 4000 rpm, but I sometimes think I'm lugging the engine. So I started experimenting with staying longer in 2nd. If I stay in 2nd I'm up to around 5000 rpm at 50 km/hr and I can hear the engine, though I'm nowhere near the redline. The manual's guidance on this strikes me as odd, as they seem to recommend shifting speeds that are much lower than speeds I would shift at. E.g. it recommends going from 2 to 3 at 30 km/hr.

My bike is also quite buzzy and vibrates a fair bit (this is only my 3rd bike ever and the previous 2 were small sport bikes that were smoother - I've never ridden a thumper or other very vibrating bike). I've read some other posts here about this. Perhaps I need to work the engine in a bit more by getting the revs up over 5000 a bit more often? I'm noise-averse so I tend to prefer to ride at lower rpms where I can't really hear the engine too much but maybe I need to change that. 

I'm curious to know what thoughts you all have about when to shift.

cheers.

Online EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
Re: when to shift
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »
I find the optimum shifting for me is between 4-5000 rpm when I'm around town. Maybe as high as 6000 rpm on some of the hills. Your gear and weight will make a difference as to when to shift. A 130lb person won't need to shift as high in the rpm range as someone big like me that is 230lbs and carriers 60lbs of gear.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Trenton TN
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
For casual on road riding I usually stay between 3-5K rpms. There is a bit more vibration the higher the rpms are and the fuel economy suffers too. Below 3K the engine lugs. For cruising at a fairly steady speed I run 3500-4K, mostly for fuel economy. But acceleration isn't great at those rpms. Above 5K it pulls really well.
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.

Online AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »
Just been out on the bike, and tried to assess gears and revs for low speeds -

Out on Motorways, or A and B roads I find that 6th allows the bike to be almost like an automatic, pulling without jerking from as low as 30mph/2500 revs, although I would normally change down to 5th for 30mph village speed limits and for quicker overtaking.

4th seems able to pull acceptably about town from 20mph/2500revs, and easily from 25mph/3000revs, although again I would normally use 3rd if I was as low as 20mph, for more flexible throttle action.

1st and 2nd are almost like 'pulling away' gears for me, maybe using 2nd for right angle junctions at slow speed.

I am quite a gentle rider, I must admit, but these speeds/revs are smooth, and match car traffic and speed limits easily enough, although like Jack I do tend to change gear if dropping below 3000revs, and around 5500revs on the way up. 

I find holding onto gears at higher revs might make fast acceleration easier but throttle control is more jerky.......maybe that's why I'm averaging 90mpg!! :001:

Anyway, there you go!

20mph - 32kph
30mph - 48kph
50mph - 80kph
The Story So Far.........

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 07:17:59 PM »
Stop looking at your speedo and start feeling your bike. No one can tell you when to shift, only the bike can. Learn the bike, feel when it wants to shift based on conditions and when the rpms are too low for the gear you're in. Go enjoy your bike and have fun.
The search button is your friend

Online SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Just been out on the bike, and tried to assess gears and revs for low speeds -

Out on Motorways, or A and B roads I find that 6th allows the bike to be almost like an automatic, pulling without jerking from as low as 30mph/2500 revs, although I would normally change down to 5th for 30mph village speed limits and for quicker overtaking.

4th seems able to pull acceptably about town from 20mph/2500revs, and easily from 25mph/3000revs, although again I would normally use 3rd if I was as low as 20mph, for more flexible throttle action.

1st and 2nd are almost like 'pulling away' gears for me, maybe using 2nd for right angle junctions at slow speed.

I am quite a gentle rider, I must admit, but these speeds/revs are smooth, and match car traffic and speed limits easily enough, although like Jack I do tend to change gear if dropping below 3000revs, and around 5500revs on the way up. 

I find holding onto gears at higher revs might make fast acceleration easier but throttle control is more jerky.......maybe that's why I'm averaging 90mpg!! :001:

Anyway, there you go!

20mph - 32kph
30mph - 48kph
50mph - 80kph
This is very much how I ride my bike.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Online AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 07:34:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X >>>> link hidden <<<<
Stop looking at your speedo and start feeling your bike. No one can tell you when to shift, only the bike can. Learn the bike, feel when it wants to shift based on conditions and when the rpms are too low for the gear you're in. Go enjoy your bike and have fun.

Absolutely agree, I just thought I'd look at these gears/speeds/revs figures for the sake of our friends question.  :034:

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
I'm all about good information but certain things should not be over thought.  :002:
The search button is your friend

Offline dpwell

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vancouver BC
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
thanks everyone for all the info. Yes, some things should not be overthought and for sure shifting is one of them!

I'm getting used to the Honda after 7 years of riding a Ninja 250, which obviously lives at a much higher rev range, so I'm getting used to shifting at lower revs. I like the idea of 90 mpg. I don't think I get anything near that.

*Originally Posted by AJC500 >>>> link hidden <<<<

20mph - 32kph
30mph - 48kph
50mph - 80kph

so are these the speeds you are shifting into 4th, 5th, and 6th?

Online AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 09:35:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by dpwell >>>> link hidden <<<<
thanks everyone for all the info. Yes, some things should not be overthought and for sure shifting is one of them!

I'm getting used to the Honda after 7 years of riding a Ninja 250, which obviously lives at a much higher rev range, so I'm getting used to shifting at lower revs. I like the idea of 90 mpg. I don't think I get anything near that.

so are these the speeds you are shifting into 4th, 5th, and 6th?

Nope, these are not speeds I'm changing at, just the minimums that my bike was happy at - as our friend says, I just go by feel!!

I now see the problem though - I tested a Kawasaki 250 a while back and felt I was always revving the nuts off it.  I couldn't handle thrashing a bike like that to get at the performance, the X is a much gentler beast.....

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage