Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: when to shift  (Read 1231 times)

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Re: when to shift
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by dpwell >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
I like the idea of 90 mpg. I don't think I get anything near that.
Keep in mind that our friends on the other side of the pond are quoting UK MPG numbers and we are using US MPG.  1 Gallon UK is equivalent to 0.833 Gallon US, therefore, 90 MPG-UK is equivalent to 74.9 MPG-US.

I am averaging 67.3 mpg-us right now with my highest to date of 71.2.  As I learn to ride the bike my average is slowly going up.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 08:58:46 PM »
When you feel the engine "stutter" change up.    :008:

Geoff.
Geoff.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 10:06:31 PM »
Snow owl, I rather think 1gallon UK equals 1.2 US gallons
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 12:09:29 AM »
One 'Murican gallon is 0.832674 Imperial gallons. One Imperial gallon is 1.20095 'Murican gallons. You can't prove that I didn't know that off the top of my head.
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline Pigeonherd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Quincy, CA
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 01:40:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl >>>> link hidden <<<<
90 MPG-UK is equivalent to 74.9 MPG-US.

I am averaging 67.3 mpg-us right now with my highest to date of 71.2.  As I learn to ride the bike my average is slowly going up.
I have filled 6 times total, with >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login. I have NO IDEA what made that one tank so great as it was one of the first and as far as I know I was riding at a much sprightlier pace than I normally do (went on a few group rides), but I do know that I get better mileage when I ride up to a lake or something and then basically coast back down. My bike usually carries 400lbs payload (me + passenger + gear) about 75% of the time, and 98% of the long-distance time (daily commute to/from work is about 4mi round trip). I run unleaded 87, and live at 3500ft altitude. I like to keep my display in the mpg mode, so I can constantly see what my mpg is. I really like playing with it to get it as high as possible. Did you know that cruising at 30mph, you get better mileage in 5th gear (55ish) than 6th (48ish)?

We also apparently get on the higher side of mileage out of our Subaru....
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 in red
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 07:15:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sargent_Horse >>>> link hidden <<<<
One 'Murican gallon is 0.832674 Imperial gallons. One Imperial gallon is 1.20095 'Murican gallons. You can't prove that I didn't know that off the top of my head.

Did you know the history of why your gallon is based on wine? >>>> link hidden <<<<

Back on topic, I don't see the point of reving the nuts off the bike if I'm in a steady state, so about to go up a 1:3 hill, need to accelerate past a car then probably need at least 4500rpm showing, maybe more. Cruising at 30mph on the flat, nothing in the way, then probably around 3000rpm. Calibrating the brain to cope with a bigger & slower engine / Smaller revier engine is all part of the fun. Try riding a 1 litre plus bike like a 125 and then the other way around is a good example of how you need to adapt for what you're riding, and what you need to do. My preference now is for more torque less hp, ie I don't have to rev to 10 000 rpm to get the performance I'd like. For me, the CB500x is at the lower end of my engine characteristics, 650 v-twins and 700cc cross plane engines nicely tick the box for me. YMMV.

Offline left22

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
When I first got the bike, I followed the advice in the manual and shifted around 3000 rpm. Im not a very aggressive rider and my acceleration is/was slow, which may account for the 2.8L/100km I was getting. In traffic though Ive had to become more assertive and am just now getting a feel for when the bike wants me to shift. Its a work in progress. Next Year Im thinking of taking a Adventuring riding course which I hope would good feel what the bike can and can not do.

I used to have a Zero, so no gear changes and with the torque 0 to 80 (kmh) was fast and quiet. Moving to the 500x the first thing I noticed that it wasnt going to be accelerating like that. Not at least without making some noise. Anyway I can imagine being accustomed to sports bike acceleration it might taking some time getting used to 500x.   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:12:43 PM by left22 »

Recent Topics