Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Water pump and coolant replacement info.  (Read 1919 times)

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
Re: Water pump and coolant replacement info.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 04:37:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Glad to hear you got it fixed and got back out there.  :152: :046:

Me too.  :169:
Artist also known as ben2go.
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline yojimg

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 09:58:45 PM »
Nice write-up, thanks for sharing.  I was really intimidated when I replaced my pump, but it ended up being not too bad.

Did you drain any oil out before you pulled the water pump?

I didn't open the engine coolant drain plug, just the one on the bottom of the water pump itself.

Instead of messing with the shifter linkage, I took the advice from other posts on this forum, and unfastened the shift foot lever itself, and moved the linkage up/out of the way.

My new pump lasted about 2 weeks before it started weeping oil -- just like the old pump.  Sigh.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 01:50:27 AM »
Quick update. I have about 500 miles on the replacement water pump. All seems well at the moment. No leaks or drips that I can tell and the over flow reservoir has stayed at the upper-level mark. I did 100 miles of rough fire roads, forest service roads, and mixed in about 200 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding areas in Pisgah National Forest. I'm glad they caught the fugitive that was hiding out there. I forgot all about it until I stopped in to visit my cousin and his wife.

*Originally Posted by yojimg >>>> link hidden <<<<
Nice write-up, thanks for sharing.  I was really intimidated when I replaced my pump, but it ended up being not too bad.

Did you drain any oil out before you pulled the water pump?

I didn't open the engine coolant drain plug, just the one on the bottom of the water pump itself.

Instead of messing with the shifter linkage, I took the advice from other posts on this forum, and unfastened the shift foot lever itself, and moved the linkage up/out of the way.

My new pump lasted about 2 weeks before it started weeping oil -- just like the old pump.  Sigh.

@yojimg

Thanks and thanks for checking in.

I think the service interval for the cooling system is every 2 years or so many miles. My bike is a 2014 so I did drain the entire cooling system. Once the water pump or pump drain bolt is removed, almost all of the system drains. The only place that doesn't drain completely is the lower cylinder block. I posted a pic of the drain bolt in my first post, in case you missed it. I removed it to drain that part of the system.

I did not drain the oil. I only lost about a half pint of oil when I removed the water pump from the engine case. I did mine on the center stand and had no problems at all. My pump never leaked oil. Mine was leaking coolant like crazy.

From what I can tell, the oil at the upper oil level spills into the back of the water pump and that is how it gets its lubrication. If the oil level is run low it could possibly cause the oil seal in the water pump to burn up. I keep my oil level at the upper lines with my bike upright on level ground. I check it after every fuel re-fill. I'm not saying this is your problem. I'm just posting the info for others to check out.

If removing the shifter lever was easier for you, then go for it. I've never had any issues with the upper pinch bolt. I've removed it several times without any problems.

Offline EchoBravo

• CB500X Newbie
  • EchoBravo
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Mukwonago, WI US
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »
Thanks for the write-up.  My H20 pump began pissing on Wednesday evening after a ride (2013 bike w/ under 9K miles)--I searched the forums, found your post and decided to order a pump on Thursday.

I'll be doing the replacement (and an oil change while I'm down there) next week.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by EchoBravo >>>> link hidden <<<<
Thanks for the write-up.  My H20 pump began pissing on Wednesday evening after a ride (2013 bike w/ under 9K miles)--I searched the forums, found your post and decided to order a pump on Thursday.

I'll be doing the replacement (and an oil change while I'm down there) next week.

You're welcome. If you need any more info, PM me. I'll be away over the weekend, but I should get a PM notification in my email.

Offline EchoBravo

• CB500X Newbie
  • EchoBravo
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Mukwonago, WI US
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »
I tackled (and appear to have succeeded) this job over the weekend.  Took about 2.5 hours, and that included an oil and filter change as well.   Have about 100 miles of post repair riding and so far, so good...

It was very straightforward as repairs go. The hardest part was getting to all the fasteners in the fairing to get to the radiator fill.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 08:25:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by EchoBravo >>>> link hidden <<<<
I tackled (and appear to have succeeded) this job over the weekend.  Took about 2.5 hours, and that included an oil and filter change as well.   Have about 100 miles of post repair riding and so far, so good...

It was very straightforward as repairs go. The hardest part was getting to all the fasteners in the fairing to get to the radiator fill.

:062:

Offline Chinook

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2014white
  • City / Town: Santiago
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 11:18:26 PM »
Thank you for the interesting and clear post. Im glad you are back again in the road without any coolant issues. You let it appear quite simple, my bike is 2014 and have 32,000Km on it , will do the coolant replacement within the next days.
By the way , the Manual shows the following torque values:
Water pump drain bolt : 13 Nm (10 Lb-ft)
Cylinder drain bolt : 12 Nm (9 Lb-ft)
 :047:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chinook >>>> link hidden <<<<
Thank you for the interesting and clear post. Im glad you are back again in the road without any coolant issues. You let it appear quite simple, my bike is 2014 and have 32,000Km on it , will do the coolant replacement within the next days.
By the way , the Manual shows the following torque values:
Water pump drain bolt : 13 Nm (10 Lb-ft)
Cylinder drain bolt : 12 Nm (9 Lb-ft)
 :047:

You're welcome.

Those torque numbers are correct.

Recent Topics