Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Do I need to lower my foot pegs?  (Read 570 times)

Online slowrider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X Rally Raid
  • City / Town: Surbiton
Do I need to lower my foot pegs?
« on: July 29, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

So went out today to give the modified bike (RR Level 3) a bit a a test off'ish road.   I think it is a wonderful thing that our army only appears to work Monday to Friday, it means that the Army exercise areas around Pirbright are empty at the weekends.   Found a few tracks that are blocked off to cars, but appear to be ok to ride on.   There are BIG Yellow signs that say "Do not to pick up any army ordnance, as it still might be live".  There are also large boards telling you what you can and can not do, but it looked to me that I was OK to ride, Motorcycles and ATV's appeared to be allowed as long as I kept to the tracks and did not stay into the woods where the unexploded shells might be, ho hum, now did I check that with my insurance cover......

So, into battle I went.   Tracks were a mixture, hard pack gravel, loose gravel and dirt track.   Nothing too tough but lots of dips, hump backs, ruts  and quite steep hills.

As recommended by Rally Raid I fitted the TKC80's and the bike felt sure footed all the time, even on tight full lock turns on the loose gravel (I just had to back and try the interesting bits a few times).

So, played around for a few hours and sort of feel that the bars are and inch or so lower than would be optimum.  I have the RR High rise Triple Clamp for Fatbars and Fatbars fitted already.   I do have shortish arms, so I am wondering if I should lower the foot pegs.  There is a thread on this forum that recommends the Jaws kit >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Any thoughts?

Having fun with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade
Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦

Offline ArchieAdv

• CB500X Member
  • Retired
    • View Profile
  • Bike: RR CB500XAdv
  • City / Town: Claypole, Lincs
Re: Do I need to lower my foot pegs?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
Why do you think lowering the footpegs will help your arms? that just puts your feet closer to tera firma and more like to be dislodged by the ground on uneven surfaces.   If anything you may need to change your bars to Pro Taper Adv bars that are slightly more backwards swept.  I suffer the same as I have the RR3 and Renthal bars that are a little to far forward
 or straight and make my lower back ache after a few hours.  Had this problem on my old GS with magura bars. 

I have just ordered a set of PT bars and if you read enough you will see JMo prefers these to the Renthals.

IMO I would leave your pegs where there are meant to be why compromise your ground clearance when it's your arms that are not like those of an Orang Utan.....  We can't all be knuckle draggers......  :305:
Archie

Online slowrider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »

Ok, thanks, I will look up those bars.

My thoughts were that if I lower the pegs then that basically has the same effect as raising the bars as I will be standing lower on the bike.   Hmm, I should have made it clearer in my post that this is for Standing when off road.   All is fine when sitting .

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 08:23:20 PM »
Hi Slow' - as Archie says, lowering the pegs will start to compromise the ground clearance, and none of the bolt-on solutions we've seen are really strong enough for prolonged standing off-road.

The problem that you - and a number of other riders - have found is that when standing up off-road, the bars feel a little low... Now this is not necessarily a bad thing - trials-bikes have low bars too, but then you're typically not riding those for very long and/or at high speed off-road.

Of course conversely the compromise is that when seated, for the bars to be comfortable, you don't want them too high - otherwise you'll get wrist and/or tricep ache instead... and on an ADV bike, you do tend to be seated for far longer than you would need to be standing of course.

The main issue with trying to raise the bars much higher than you can get with the Rally Raid Fat-bar risers and the Pro-Taper Adventure bars (90mm rise) is that the cable/hose/wiring length limits how much higher to can raise the bars...

You can always get longer throttle and clutch cables made up (by Venhill etc.) and a longer front brake hose (although this is not as easy on the ABS models that that a crimped fitting to the distribution block) - but that real problem is the length of the switchgear wiring loom - there are many wires in there that would need to be extended, not an easy job - cutting, splicing and soldering multiple wires.

Personally speaking, I set my suspension up so it rides nicely in the seated position (it's an ADV bike, not a dirt bike remember) and ride accordingly with more caution - only standing up when absolutely necessary... it's the same principle I use when rally racing too - sure some might call it lazy, I call it conserving energy ;o)

>>>> link hidden <<<<
photo. As Ed March might say...

Hope that helps,

Jenny x
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:26:45 PM by JMo »

Online slowrider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »

Very helpful, many thanks for that Jenny. 

I will leave all as is at the moment and see how I get on in a few weeks when I give parts of the Swedish section of the new Trans Euro Trail a go ( >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login ).  I then have a few months before the next trip to decided if I need to go with the Pro-Taper Adventure Bars or not.  Re-working the wiring loom would be relatively straight forward for me.  I will investigate extending the brake hose and see what options are available..

Once again, many thanks for the quick response, very much appreciated.

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider >>>> link hidden <<<<
Very helpful, many thanks for that Jenny. 

I will leave all as is at the moment and see how I get on in a few weeks when I give parts of the Swedish section of the new Trans Euro Trail a go ( >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login ).  I then have a few months before the next trip to decided if I need to go with the Pro-Taper Adventure Bars or not.  Re-working the wiring loom would be relatively straight forward for me.  I will investigate extending the brake hose and see what options are available..

Once again, many thanks for the quick response, very much appreciated.

Good luck on the Trans-Euro Trail - that is going to be an excellent trip! Are you going to ride any of the UK sections before you head overseas too?

I'm planning on exploring some of the UK and Spanish sections over the next year myself - although it would certainly be a massive undertaking to try and ride it all in one hit!

With regard to the wiring - if the corresponding OEM connector blocks could be sourced, then it would be great to make up some bridging sections to extend the wiring on each side - as that would make raising the bars far simpler.

Good luck with your trip, and any subsequent wiring adventures!

Jx

Online slowrider

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:22:30 PM »
Hi Jenny,

Re :  UK TET, good point.  Was suffering target fixation on Sweden.   I think I will try to get down to the South Downs section on Wednesday.  Probably charge down the A3 and pick it up at Petersfield and head towards Brighton.

Just seen your post re the pressures for the TKC80's I am running 32psi on both at the moment, but I may try dropping down a little and see how it feels.

As ever, thanks for the help and advice.

Slowrider

Recent Topics