Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS and Sidecases  (Read 417 times)

Offline IIodlp48O

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Alexandria
GPS and Sidecases
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:05:37 PM »
Have two questions for everyone today. 1) Do you prefer GPS or phone navigation system and why? And 2) I'm looking into invest on a set of side cases or saddlebags for my x. What does everyone has and does anyone has experience or know someone owns Dryspecs D106 system? Cheers!

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
Re: GPS and Sidecases
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:53:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by IIodlp48O >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
Have two questions for everyone today. 1) Do you prefer GPS or phone navigation system and why? And 2) I'm looking into invest on a set of side cases or saddlebags for my x. What does everyone has and does anyone has experience or know someone owns Dryspecs D106 system? Cheers!

I use my phone and my Garmin Nuvi 95. Some places one will work while the other will not.

I using JC Whitney Garage Pro medium trunks as side cases. They are NLA but can be found on Ebay and Amazon at times. I also have a set of aluminum large style Tusk panniers which I haven't mounted yet. I am running Givi monokey racks.

Here is a link to my thread with pics. Pics of the set up are near the last post. When I mount my Tusk panniers, I'll update that thread. I hope it will be soon. In the next couple weeks.
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Artist also known as ben2go.
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:20:37 AM »
I only use my phone, as I have yet to invest in a GPS system, but I will do so soon. As for sidecases, I have Outback Trekkers 37L for the sides and the 42L top box. I got my stuff on sale from motostorm.it There are no import taxes in motorcycle luggage so ordering from Italy is cheaper than in the states.
+70 Rear rack (Givi) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+80 Monokey Rear plate (Givi black) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+150 Outback sideframes (Givi) >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login Outback side cases 37L (Givi left and right black) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+310 Outback top case 42L (Givi black) >>>> link hidden <<<<

They make a bunch of accessories for them aswell, but most are overpriced.
+80 Inner bag 37L (Givi x2) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+50 Inner bag 42L (Givi) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+40 Outback carrying handle (Givi x2) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+20 Outback elastic net (Givi x2) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+20 Outback padded strips (Givi x2) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+140 Outback can mounts (Givi x2) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+20 Outback cans (Givi x2) >>>> link hidden <<<<
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline enterprise-psi

• CB500X Member
  • A majestic sight we must be
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 06:38:38 AM »
I have a second phone, with Sygic installed. has yet to fail me. On a ram mount to keep it cool  :008:
Only negative thing is when the rain comes, the phone goes in the tankbag, and i switch to voice only navigation via intercom.
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline motogasoline

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500x
  • City / Town: Conway
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »
I had ordered a set of shad saddlebags and the 3p mounts from motoradd but they never sent me the stuff and still haven't refunded me.  I did however buy a trunk from Amazon to get me by.  It was $28 with a mounting plate included.  It's attached with the included mounting supplies and works great although I wouldn't use it as a backrest.  I also have a roam brand phone holder and use Google maps.  It's just as good or better than any GPS I've used and stays updated. 

Offline Zingara

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: West Vancouver
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 10:10:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by IIodlp48O >>>> link hidden <<<<

I recently got the Dry Spec bags and have taken a couple of trips with them. I got the D20, D38 and D28 separately as I couldn't find the full D106 in stock when I bought them. They seem quite rugged for the price. Once you get used to setting them up using their strap system it doesn't take long to pack. The rear luggage carrier which was key for me. The one I got doesn't require removing the handles at the back. It comes from Thailand and shipped to Canada in 5 days! It was approx. $150 Cdn plus $50 for shipping. Here's a link to the seller's ebay store: >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login My girlfriend likes to hang on to the handles on longer rides. It also provides perfect strapping points for the bags.

The D20s don't carry all that much. They have a semi-rigid interior with a mesh pocket. I store tools, pots, pans, burner and canned goods, water and a cooler bag etc. for camping if I'm on the road for a few days. I like to keep the heavy stuff lower. The exhaust mod allowed me to use the saddle bags without having to worry about heat from the stock exhaust. Dry Spec does sell a heat shield that fits the stock exhaust. Depending on how you attach them you'd have an inch or two clearance.

The D38 easily fits my one-man or three-man tents plus one or two sleeping bags. I didn't bother getting compression straps as they compress into the bag on their own. The mouth isn't very wide, but it doesn't bother me as everything fits in there without much effort. I put clothes in the D28 up top. I do have a backback from Alpinestars which has a slot for a 3L water bladder which is surprisingly light while riding and I can pass the mouthpiece under my helmet easily for a sip whenever I need to. All my electronics and stuff I need to get at quickly goes into a little tank bag. I do have an extra wide sleeping roll for my tent which works as a bit of lumbar support when I want to lean back a bit on the highway. I would easily be able to fit two between the D38 and D28 if I had a passenger. So far I'm very happy with the bags. I have experienced heavy rainfall a couple of times and I had zero issues with wet gear.

What I really like about these bags is how light they are compared to hard cases. They also cost significantly less and are transferable to other bikes if you have more than one. No frame required. The obvious drawback is the lack of ability to lock them. Honestly, I couldn't care less. I've left them on the bike for hours at a time. The bags come off very easily without having to undo all the straps making them effortless to install and remove. If I stopped in a dodgy area, I'd simply remove them and leave the straps in place. I'm only stopping for coffee, lunch or to use the bathroom, so I'm not away from the bike long enough to worry about them. I always take my tank bag and helmet with me. A friend of mine used to leave his helmet on the rear footpeg until his dog cocked a leg and peed on it >>>> link hidden <<<<

When I go for a swim at my local pool I leave the D38 and D20s on the back and leave my helmet, jacket and riding boots in them as they take up way to much space in the locker. I take my electronics and wallet with me which I can lock with my clothes. I keep a pair of flip flops in the D20s for the changing room and the pool deck. I even use the bags for groceries. The D38 will easily hold two dozen sodas (or beers), 4L milk and a few odds and ends. I've barely used my car this summer. It's sitting in the garage on a trickle charger.
You own the right motorcycle if you can not walk away without looking back to admire it.

Recent Topics