Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Test rode a CB500X, and well...  (Read 889 times)

Offline ThudSlamrod

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: WI
Test rode a CB500X, and well...
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »
I found the bike to be kind of boring compared to my air cooled 250 enduro.  I really wanted to love it, but in the end it was just very adequate.  What am I missing? 

Offline Mel111

• CB500X Pro
  • May your Butt live long in the saddle
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB 500X 15
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: Test rode a CB500X, and well...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
Hello, your not missing anything! its just that old saying different strokes, you know the one!!  :152: 

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »
This bike is a budget commuter and if you are expecting a spirited sport bike, then yes, it is boring.  Viewed from the standpoint of someone just getting into riding or getting back into it after a long time it is much more than adequate.  The nice thing about being "boring" is it keeps you out of trouble.  I know if it was more of a sport bike I would be driving it faster than I should.  My needs are for a low cost to acquire and low cost of operation for a daily commuter but with a little pep to make the commute fun and the ability to go for long touring rides just for the hell of it.  This bike is exactly that.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline macamxthe1st

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:38:38 PM »
There is no such thing as a universal best bike/worst bike only the best bike that you want or conversely the bike that you definitely don't want. Some people drool after a bike that I would not have at any price and visa versa. Your choice of bike is a very personal thing so embrace and enjoy the individuality that this affords you under the large umbrella of "Motorcycling".

Geoff.
Geoff.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:35:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
This bike is a budget commuter and if you are expecting a spirited sport bike, then yes, it is boring.  Viewed from the standpoint of someone just getting into riding or getting back into it after a long time it is much more than adequate.  The nice thing about being "boring" is it keeps you out of trouble.  I know if it was more of a sport bike I would be driving it faster than I should.  My needs are for a low cost to acquire and low cost of operation for a daily commuter but with a little pep to make the commute fun and the ability to go for long touring rides just for the hell of it.  This bike is exactly that.
:460:
The search button is your friend

Offline ThudSlamrod

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 05:06:31 PM »
I literally have nothing bad to say about the CB, it just didn't stir any emotions for me.

Also after tooling around for 15 miles or so according to the display I was only getting 35mpg.  Is that about what you get in the city?  Even with riding the 250 like a complete toolbag to keep up with traffic I still get 75 mpg out of it.

At least the nice thing is that I'm fired up to do more stuff with the enduro again.

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:04:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThudSlamrod >>>> link hidden <<<<
I found the bike to be kind of boring compared to my air cooled 250 enduro.  I really wanted to love it, but in the end it was just very adequate.  What am I missing?

you are right. its kind of boring. its a bit down on power because of the 47bhp euro laws. other than that it is a complete all-round bike that for the money i find unbeatable
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 06:30:01 PM »
Also after tooling around for 15 miles or so according to the display I was only getting 35mpg.  Is that about what you get in the city?  Even with riding the 250 like a complete toolbag to keep up with traffic I still get 75 mpg out of it.
I'm currently averaging 67.3 mpg-us in my daily commute of about 42 miles round trip.  About 6 miles is 70 mph interstate that is poor mileage around 50 mpg-us, 15 miles is city roads that is fair mileage and the rest, 21 miles, is 2 lane country roads where mileage is excellent around 75-80 mpg-us.
1982 Suzuki PE175
2016 Honda CB500XA

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 06:53:25 PM »

Also after tooling around for 15 miles or so according to the display I was only getting 35mpg. 
I wonder if you reset the av.mpg trip A ? Worst real mpg US I've ever. Gotten has been 55 and best ever has been 75.
The search button is your friend

Offline ThudSlamrod

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 07:19:10 PM »
I reset it before I left the dealership.  The bike only had 15 miles on it, still tight perhaps?

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage