Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Returning to 500x  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: Returning to 500x
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »
I just meant that the bike doesn't come with RR stuff on it. My riding goals and ambitions have changed and I don't need the level 3 kit with bash plate and pegs.
Talk of London to south Africa with my mate in his KTM are no more.
Level 1 would be enough for me and if I had more money I would probably order it with the remote adjuster (if that's possible) and the rally raid pegs as I found they gave me amazing grip and also put my knee angle in a more comfortable position.

It turns out that the full service history in the new bike isn't what I call a full service history so I may not get the bike after all.
This and an extra days thought and I  have started to remember why I sold it to begin with. I have slight concerns within the year I will want to sell it again even if now it seems a good buy.

Talk of perfect bike.
Essentially I want the 675 triple engine in the cb500x body :)
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dukie >>>> link hidden <<<<
Essentially I want the 675 triple engine in the cb500x body :)

Sounds like you want a Triumph Tiger 800  :002: They are piquing my interest lately.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »
I test ride one when the new models came out there will be a review on the other bikes section of this forum from the time.  Despite the wind buffering which was even worse than the cb500x I found it to be superior in all other ways, but I also wasn't too excited by the power of it. It didn't feel like the 675 which has the perfect balance for me of a desire to rev and one huge power band. The 800 was a more relaxed ride. Also it is a much big bike.  I think I would have a different opinion now, maybe it would tick the boxes if I rode one again today because at the time i thought : yes it's better all round but it wasn't worth my cb500x and 5000.
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
I would suggest drive another Tracer 700, I think you got a hold of a bad example. All the FZ 07's I have driven shift smoother than the CB and the engine is as smooth as the CB.
The search button is your friend

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 04:56:46 PM »
I test rode a FJ-09 recently and loved it. Awesome triple engine, such nice smooth power and the bike itself felt a lot like the 500X, nimble and light.
'14 CB500X / '82 MB5 / '78 XL250S / '72 CB350
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 06:11:52 PM »
I know I've said this many times before, but try a Kawasaki Versys 650 too - like a big 500x, I rented one and LOVED it.   :002:

I wrote an article about my trip (see separate post) and in discussing this, the editor of the magazine said the Versys was one of his favourites too, after his KTM 1090 Adventure.
The Story So Far.........

Offline Nortoon

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 05:05:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon >>>> link hidden <<<<
I test rode a FJ-09 recently and loved it. Awesome triple engine, such nice smooth power and the bike itself felt a lot like the 500X, nimble and light.
I rode both an FZ-09 last year and an FJ-09 this year for a day. The engine is a hoot, but under normal riding conditions I could only use about 1/3 of it's power and rev range.

The seats on both were much more comfortable than either my CB500 XA or CB1100 EX. The riding position was as comfortable as the CB500XA and much better than the CB1100 EX. Both were nimble and handled as well as the CB500XA. Although the CB1100 weighs more and it is top heavy, it does handle well once under way. But I only use about 1/3 of it's power and rev range as well under normal riding conditions.

For the riding I do, the Tracer would probably be a good fit, but it is not available in North America.

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »
Agreed, I almost felt like I was doing the bike an injustice riding around at the low end of its range while it wanted to get up and go. Maybe if I win the lottery I will take a 500X and try to stick a Street Triple in there.
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Online John1411

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 in red
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 06:57:16 AM »
Just swapped a SV650 for an XSR700 plus some cash. I'd say the XSR has the ergos of the Tracer 700, without such a high seat, no airflow turbulence and a smaller tank. Going into 1st is a big clunk, same IIRC on the MT-07 and Tracer that I had as a loaner, other gears seem to be smooth enough to do clutchless changes going up the gears. Test rode the XSR900 a year ago, a hoot, but way too much power for my ability, I've heard it called a naked sports bike, about right IMHO. The XSR700 has about the power I can use, without it feeling as if I'm only scratching the surface of its performance.

The engine is more involving on the XSR, the CB's engine is efficient, which doesn't mean that it can shift if you give it some revs to play with, but still on the side of boringly efficient, possibly bland.

Back to the OP, returning back to something can seem like a good idea until you realise why you left it before.

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »
Someone actually bought the cb500x from under my nose. I'm guessing they turned up with cash and not cash and part ex and the dealer took the sale.

Yesterday i bought a Cb650f :D 

Less Vibs than the cbr650f with its full fairing though clearly not as smooth as cb500x due to engine vibs (nor as comfy) but it's put the smile back on my face and some fun back into biking which i really needed. 
Its easy to ride, the smoothest gear box i ever used . mirrors are really good , the bike puts me at a sort of aggressive position with the stretch to the  bars so maybe bar risers are the way to go if my dodgy back plays up over time (usually takes a while to notice). The bike is slated for its lack of power but honestly its got plenty enough for me. street triple was just out my price range so that's why the 650 got the nod.  Now if honda make a cb650x to go with the cb650f and cbr650r, I will buy it in a heart beat.

>>>> link hidden <<<<

Recent Topics