Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Why such cheap-looking instruments?  (Read 461 times)

Offline Motorazr

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Atlanta, GA
Why such cheap-looking instruments?
« on: August 04, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »
If Honda's X-ADV scooter can have nice instrumentation then why do most of Honda's lower and mid-range motorcycles uniformly have such a craptastic LCD instrument pod without even a gear indicator? Look at the scooter's instruments!
"I was tortured during the war by the Japanese, Jack, not a pretty story.  Strange thing is, they make such bloody good cameras."

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: Why such cheap-looking instruments?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 06:32:21 PM »
that scooter costs double the cb500x. it better have higher spec components
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »
I don't see any gear indicator on the scooter dash. :745:
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 06:55:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder >>>> link hidden <<<<
I don't see any gear indicator on the scooter dash. :745:

The "N" is the indicator. Built in indicators actually show a neutral and they show a gear when the clutch is pulled in. I quite enjoyed it on the stint I did on the FZ-07. The scooters dash is nice, but it doesn't seem to offer any more info (gear indicator aside) than the 500X. I also do not like how tall it is and that the idiot lights are separated from the screen. Now, if we could pay get the fancy screen from the new Street Triple R or RS, that would be different. Man, everyday I have to tell myself that I don't need a Street Triple R (S is the budget version and RS is the track bike with bad suspension on street). Needless to say, one of these days I am going to break down and buy one...
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
I didn't think that motor scooters had clutches.  My buddy's Vespa sure didn't (admittedly, this was back in the 1960s).
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Motorazr

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Atlanta, GA
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 07:26:46 PM »
You don't see the gear indicator?  You suppose the big "N" is a compass and the bike is pointing North?  Pretty sure it's a gear indicator currently showing "Neutral" and, given that it's not a green idiot-light, it almost certainly changes to show different gears. A gear indicator has to be important when you're trying to operate a DCT in manual-mode.

You think the US$6,000 CB500F/R/X is too inexpensive to include decent instruments? While the US$3,200 Honda Grom has a similarly cheap-looking display like it's bigger brother, Kawasaki's US$3,000 Z125 Pro has this instrumentation which I think is ideal. It shows the current gear selected AND has a green (Neutral) idiot-light. I actually have this bike myself and it's a hoot to ride as a daily commuter-bike. it only lacks a temperature display because it's air cooled (the ECU has a engine temp sensor to determine engine cold/hot for fueling).

So if Kawasaki can do it on their least expensive street bike (less expensive than the Grom), then what's Honda's excuse?  Honda's corporate path used to be driven by engineering innovation as a by-product of their racing experience.  Since the 2008 economic crash, Honda seems entirely driven by profit. They build the cheapest items they can to sell at the highest price possible. Customer desires be damned. Many thousands of V-6 automatic transmissions failed and MAYBE you can get partial compensation toward a remanufactured car/van/truck transmission IF you know to fight for it. CB/R300's in the UK recalled a YEAR after the same bikes were recalled in the USA needing their new engines rebuilt for a faulty connecting rod?  UK riders of Honda 300's were left hanging for a full year because the legal fees in the USA are more expensive. My closest Honda dealer has FIVE brand-new 2016 CBR300's lined up in a row with Yoshimura pipes on them. The CBR300 got slagged in comparison reviews but after the engine recall fiasco, NOBODY wants them, not even dealers.

I used to consider myself a "Honda guy". Honda used to be my first choice for motorcycles and autos but not any more. Today, Honda is only my first choice in lawn mowers where, as far as I know, they still make a solid engine product (though Honda-branded mowers are over-priced; I've owned two third-party brand mowers with Honda engines).

All that said, I am looking for a 2016+ CB500X as a platform for a Rally Raid upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:32:12 PM by Motorazr »
"I was tortured during the war by the Japanese, Jack, not a pretty story.  Strange thing is, they make such bloody good cameras."

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »
Jsonder, 1960s scooters, including Vespas, certainly did have clutches. Perhaps there were some US models that didn't. As I remember some scooters changed gear via a twist grip on the left, the clutch lever moved round with it.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 09:02:33 PM »
If one needs to know whether one is in the correct gear by looking at an "indicator" then one does need to go back to riding a moped.  :745:  seriously only thing needed is a green neutral light. I for one would rather see an engine temp display.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:06:37 PM by CB-500-X »
The search button is your friend

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Motorazr >>>> link hidden <<<<
You don't see the gear indicator?  You suppose the big "N" is a compass and the bike is pointing North?  Pretty sure it's a gear indicator currently showing "Neutral" and, given that it's not a green idiot-light, it almost certainly changes to show different gears. A gear indicator has to be important when you're trying to operate a DCT in manual-mode.

You think the US$6,000 CB500F/R/X is too inexpensive to include decent instruments? While the US$3,200 Honda Grom has a similarly cheap-looking display like it's bigger brother, Kawasaki's US$3,000 Z125 Pro has this instrumentation which I think is ideal. It shows the current gear selected AND has a green (Neutral) idiot-light. I actually have this bike myself and it's a hoot to ride as a daily commuter-bike. it only lacks a temperature display because it's air cooled (the ECU has a engine temp sensor to determine engine cold/hot for fueling).

So if Kawasaki can do it on their least expensive street bike (less expensive than the Grom), then what's Honda's excuse?  Honda's corporate path used to be driven by engineering innovation as a by-product of their racing experience.  Since the 2008 economic crash, Honda seems entirely driven by profit. They build the cheapest items they can to sell at the highest price possible. Customer desires be damned. Many thousands of V-6 automatic transmissions failed and MAYBE you can get partial compensation toward a remanufactured car/van/truck transmission IF you know to fight for it. CB/R300's in the UK recalled a YEAR after the same bikes were recalled in the USA needing their new engines rebuilt for a faulty connecting rod?  UK riders of Honda 300's were left hanging for a full year because the legal fees in the USA are more expensive. My closest Honda dealer has FIVE brand-new 2016 CBR300's lined up in a row with Yoshimura pipes on them. The CBR300 got slagged in comparison reviews but after the engine recall fiasco, NOBODY wants them, not even dealers.

I used to consider myself a "Honda guy". Honda used to be my first choice for motorcycles and autos but not any more. Today, Honda is only my first choice in lawn mowers where, as far as I know, they still make a solid engine product (though Honda-branded mowers are over-priced; I've owned two third-party brand mowers with Honda engines).

All that said, I am looking for a 2016+ CB500X as a platform for a Rally Raid upgrade.

One of the "problems" with getting old is that you really don't get excited about little stuff.  I couldn't care less about a gear indicator for myself.  That elusive 7th gear will probably still be hiding at 80 mph, with or without a gear indicator.
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 10:00:30 PM »
Guess it's too much to ask to move your left big toe up an inch to check if you're in top gear.  :007: no we need an indicator to let us know.
The search button is your friend

Recent Topics