Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Why such cheap-looking instruments?  (Read 842 times)

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
Re: Why such cheap-looking instruments?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »
I also thought that most scooters were CVT, which doesnt have a clutch (?). My families side-by-side, an old rhino, is CVT. This ADV-X (which is a stupid name for a stupid product) has DCT, not CVT. This ADV-X is just dumb, why would I want 600 pound 750cc scooter? Why doesn't Honda bring us a CB650X?

I have a gear indicator. I like it. Don't know why I like it. I don't use it for checking for 7th, I guess I just like to watch it click up and down and for the reminder. I just like it and I suppose I would appreciate if they included it in the 500X dash. It certainly isn't a deal breaker and riding with or without one doesn't make a difference really.

I just can't get it out of my head, for whatever reason this ADV-X grinds my gears, when I look at it, it makes me annoyed.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:15:28 PM by Sargent_Horse »
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline Motorazr

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Atlanta, GA
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 10:40:12 PM »
Internet forums of all kinds are rife with fragile egos ready to pounce upon any criticism of their chosen bike/car/truck/t-shirt as if someone had just insulted their wives.

Regarding the inexcusably craptastic instrument pod design shared with an entry-level mini-moto, the defensive response is to sidestep the issue by mocking the comment about the absent gear indicator. I see people comment on a variety of bikes missing that feature.  Of course, no one NEEDS a gear indicator.  No one NEEDS a tachometer either or even clear, easily read instrumentation. It's just nice to have. Being that Honda's lower-range models are so hard-core and for expert enthusiasts only, I guess crap instruments help to weed out the weak and novice who might otherwise ride these same machines. Therefore, Honda owners can tell themselves that crap instruments are a mark of their own superiority if they want to. Not my take on it but to each their own I guess.

"I was tortured during the war by the Japanese, Jack, not a pretty story.  Strange thing is, they make such bloody good cameras."

Offline Motorazr

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Atlanta, GA
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 10:43:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sargent_Horse >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
I have a gear indicator. I like it. Don't know why I like it. I don't use it for checking for 7th, I guess I just like to watch it click up and down and for the reminder. I just like it and I suppose I would appreciate if they included it in the 500X dash.

May I ask which aftermarket gear indicator you have added to your bike? It plugs in-line into the stock wiring harness?
"I was tortured during the war by the Japanese, Jack, not a pretty story.  Strange thing is, they make such bloody good cameras."

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 01:23:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Motorazr >>>> link hidden <<<<
May I ask which aftermarket gear indicator you have added to your bike? It plugs in-line into the stock wiring harness?
This is the indicator I have gotten, I don't have the mount, but have included the link. It plugs into a place under the seat. Try to give it a search on the forum and you will find more info on installation and brands that others have uses.
+160 GIPRO Gear Indicator (Red) >>>> link hidden <<<<
+60 Gear indicator mount (Black) >>>> link hidden <<<<
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage