Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can a stock CB500X handle the TAT (Trans-America Trail)?  (Read 823 times)

Offline jonathan101514119

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Honda CB500X
Can a stock CB500X handle the TAT (Trans-America Trail)?
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:56:15 AM »
I've seen the posts of the Rally Raided CB500Xs doing the TAT with not a lot of issues but how would a mostly stock CB (added a skid plate) deal with an above-average-but-not-expert rider? I know ground clearance may be an issue but looking at pics and the Trans-Am website, nothing looks gnarly enough that a stock CB couldn't handle, albeit slowly. Anyone with experience on the TAT care to comment?

I want to do the whole TAT in a few years so wondering if I should start upgrading the CB with Rally Raid farkles, get a more adventurey adventure bike, or take my XR650L instead. The XRs seat would kill me after a few miles so that would be my last resort for sure! Any advice is appreciated!

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: I own 8.
  • City / Town: Upstate,SC USA
Re: Can a stock CB500X handle the TAT (Trans-America Trail)?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:35:44 PM »
Yes but it will handle it slower.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonathan101514119 >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
I've seen the posts of the Rally Raided CB500Xs doing the TAT with not a lot of issues but how would a mostly stock CB (added a skid plate) deal with an above-average-but-not-expert rider? I know ground clearance may be an issue but looking at pics and the Trans-Am website, nothing looks gnarly enough that a stock CB couldn't handle, albeit slowly. Anyone with experience on the TAT care to comment?

I want to do the whole TAT in a few years so wondering if I should start upgrading the CB with Rally Raid farkles, get a more adventurey adventure bike, or take my XR650L instead. The XRs seat would kill me after a few miles so that would be my last resort for sure! Any advice is appreciated!

Yes, as EscCtrl suggest above, with care (and the right tyres and a Rally Raid engine guard) you could probably ride the vast majority of the TAT route without incident...

However, you will start to struggle in the softer sand sections in Utah onwards, and similarly there is a lot of loose gravel in Arkansas - neither of which are much fun with a 17" front wheel and 120 width tyre.

You'll also have to consider the rockier sections in Colorado & Moab particularly, as the stock [height] bike has limited ground clearance in that regard, but most of it is ride-roundable with care...

I'd certainly have a crack at riding the TAT on a LEVEL 1 bike (even with the cast wheels) - you'll certainly appreciate the softer and better damped suspension over that many off-road miles... Remember the TAT is day-in-and-day-out riding for a month or so, and that will soon take it out of you. In that regard, the LEVEL 3 bike just makes it that much easier over rough ground - simply by having more suspension travel and the 19" front wheel.

If you're interested in riding the TAT, you might like to know I've actually just done an interview for >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login this week about the very same subject - it should be broadcast soon!

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

Online JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
The Adventure Rider Radio show about the Trans-America Trail in now live here:

>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Jx

Recent Topics