Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Just dropped my bike  (Read 424 times)

Offline KingKong

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017CB500X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Just dropped my bike
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:24:31 PM »
One week after installing my Hepco & Becker engine and tank guards, I drop my bike.
Safe so say they did their job.

How did I drop it? Parked facing slightly down hill, put the kickstand down, got off and the bike rolled away falling on its left side. Noob mistake. Lesson learned.

I tried to catch it (failed) and lifted it back upright with the engine guard taking the hit.

Two issues though:
Clutch lever is bent like a banana.
Gear shifter bent in the way towards the bike.

Both still able to be used, just feels and looks stupid. Cannot feather the clutch for slow control like I'm used to. Having to over extend my grip to reach the clutch and change gears.

Does anyone know the costs to service/replace these parts? I would also like to get the bike looked over as the engine guards took quite a hit.

Changing the levers is on the To-Do list of mods. So if anyone can suggest cheap aftermarket leavers that would be great.

Same for the shifter, if there is an aftermarket piece that's cheaper than buying from Honda that would be good.
Would rather pay as little as possible for the fix, basically only paying installation (unless it's something I can do).

TL;DR: Dropped bike, need clutch and gear shifter. What costs am I looking at? Aftermarket alternatives to OEM parts?

Thanks,
Kieran
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:46:56 PM by KingKong »

Offline Chinook

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2014white
  • City / Town: Santiago
Re: Just dropped my bike
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:50:24 AM »
Hi, glad to inform you that these items are low cost and that you can easily replace them.
Just got the quote from Western Honda:
Clutch lever    USD 11.86
Gearshift pedal   USD 11.57 + pedal rubber  USD 2.14

I would be more concerned if you feel some vibration at 4,000-6,000 rpm since this may need to replace you HB tank guards . This happened to me.
 :002:

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:54:24 AM »
I suggest RR Shorty Levers, or other Shorty Levers.
+40 Shorty levers (RR)
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline JMo

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by KingKong >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
One week after installing my Hepco & Becker engine and tank guards, I drop my bike.
Safe so say they did their job.

How did I drop it? Parked facing slightly down hill, put the kickstand down, got off and the bike rolled away falling on its left side. Noob mistake. Lesson learned.

I tried to catch it (failed) and lifted it back upright with the engine guard taking the hit.

Two issues though:
Clutch lever is bent like a banana.
Gear shifter bent in the way towards the bike.

Both still able to be used, just feels and looks stupid. Cannot feather the clutch for slow control like I'm used to. Having to over extend my grip to reach the clutch and change gears.

Does anyone know the costs to service/replace these parts? I would also like to get the bike looked over as the engine guards took quite a hit.

Changing the levers is on the To-Do list of mods. So if anyone can suggest cheap aftermarket leavers that would be great.

Same for the shifter, if there is an aftermarket piece that's cheaper than buying from Honda that would be good.
Would rather pay as little as possible for the fix, basically only paying installation (unless it's something I can do).

TL;DR: Dropped bike, need clutch and gear shifter. What costs am I looking at? Aftermarket alternatives to OEM parts?

Thanks,
Kieran

Hi Kieran -

As Sargent' suggests, the Rally Raid shorty levers are a good option - not only are they much stronger (being billet rather than forged aluminium), but their shorter length means they are less likely to bend if you drop the bike again - for example: I've dropped a bike without handguards and just these levers fitted >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login, and they were perfectly fine... and they are also adjustable for reach too of course.

As for the gear lever, because it's steel, you ought to be able to bend it back into shape without too much trouble - again I've done this a few times on my own bike, typically after it's been down on that side.

If you get a long ring-spanner, you can use that to initially lever it straight again (against the engine case and/or frame - just be careful), and then use the ring end to straighten the tip if that is bent at all, in relation to the main lever.

Otherwise as Chinook suggests, on the whole OEM spares are not expensive for this bike.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

Offline KingKong

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017CB500X
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 11:27:07 PM »
Thanks for your responses. I've just ordered the rally raid shorty levers. Hopefully they don't take long to ship. Changing levers was something I'd be looking to do in the future anyway but I now have an excuse. Really hated the free play on the stock lever so hoping this will sort that.

As for the shifter, I think I'll just try bend it back into shape. Worst scenario it breaks and I need to buy a replacement part.

I'm new to working on bikes and really enjoyed installing the engine guards so this will be a fun experience too. Watched YouTube videos on replacing these parts - such a simple fix.

Thanks,
Kieran

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage