Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First mini trip  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Celeste1178

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
First mini trip
« on: August 10, 2017, 01:26:46 AM »
I'm going to be going on my first mini adventure next week and I'll be going solo.  So far I've put almost 3K miles on the bike but it has all been commuting to and from work and some short, couple hour, trips on the weekend.  I'm going to be riding from Florida to West Virginia to see some family.  I'm excited but nervous because of the distance, the fact I'll be solo, and the new terrain (in florida I've only been on flat roads).  I will also have a little off-road time as I get closer to my dad's house in the mountains.  I have been trying to make sure I pack correctly and have all the gear but this will be a first use for a lot of it.  Certainly going to be a learning trip.  If you have any pointers or words of advice, I'm all ears!  I'll try to post updates and pics for anybody interested.

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
Re: First mini trip
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 02:25:53 AM »
Tire repair kit and a pump or some way to inflate the tire. Check tires,fuel,chain and bike in general at every stop. Takes 5 minutes and allows you to stretch and rest your butt. Ride smart, ride rested, since you're solo, the advantage you have isn't that you can set your own pace. Stop anytime you want to not just when you need to. Rokstraps , zip ties and electrical tape . Wet micro fiber cloth in a zip lock baggie for bugs, a bottle of water. Chances are the bike won't ask anything off you, your body will. Don't push your gas stops, plan ahead @ 1/4 tank.
Best of luck ! Hope you have a great and safe journey !

PS stop and take pictures !

:160: :160: :160: :160:
The search button is your friend

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 05:07:10 AM »
Chain lube (every night if you are getting 400 miles or more per day).  I gas up every 100-150 miles for the break and to run off of the top half of the tank, as I prefer back roads which can mean limited fuel availability.  Enjoy your trip. 

John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
>>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login

Online marktbike

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: Alcamo
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »
Just a tire repair kit will do, the bike is reliable enough and you're not riding through the desert. Have fun and enjoy this first, great experience!

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Geel
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »
Just do it! Don't be scared, prepare yourself as best as you can. Asking tips is part of that, so kudos for you!
I don't know how you are going to navigate (and I centainly don't know the terrain) so be redundant.
Don't rely on electronic navigation only, make yourself a little map (or take one with you) so you have an idea where to go in case of a satnav breakdown.
For myself, I make a route to my destination, feed it in my Garmin, and share the route with my loved ones.
In case of an emergency your family or emergency services have an idea where to look for me. I regularly contact my family to inform them about my situation and whereabouts.
Also in case of an emergency, make a little plastified card with your information and carry it with your ID or licence. Maybe you have to take certain medication?
Maybe you want certain people to be informed about your emergency (in case you are not able do to that yourself) so note names and phone numbers etc...
Make sure you have rain gear and a pair of spare gloves.
And above all: have fun!
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »
Mountain + hairpins maybe - in slow, out fast and real tight ones, first gear and be prepared to slip the clutch to keep the revs up a bit.

Rough down hill, don't lock the front wheel, lots of back brake.

You'll be fine. You couldn't pick a better bike for it.
Brian.

Online Britchris

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Jacksonville
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
Cell phone and credit card are essential, plus cash of course.
Make a point to stop and rest regularly.
Text family etc' @ each stop.
Once you've sorted your luggage and packed it on the bike take everything out again and repack in the same order.
Small toolkit for tightening stuff that may work loose.
(I bet you don't use 1/3 of what you take.
Above all, relax and enjoy the journey.
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.

Offline julman99

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: NYC
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »
To add to what has been written before this post:

- Make sure you drink a bottle of water at every gas stop even if you are not thirsty. If you do feel thirsty, drink also a Gatorade (or similar). Dehydration while riding long distances happen, and you feel it the next day.

- If you have never ridden entire day trips, you will start feeling pain after 6 hours in your butt and back. Don't get frustrated, try to find different positions on the bike to allow blood circulation to the parts that hurt. Once you learn those positions you will be able to ride long stretches without even thinking about it.

- Get a cheap throttle lock from Amazon. I have one, and don't use it as a "cruise control", but only to rest my right hand. I usually put it for 2 or 3 minutes, stretch my right arm, and then release it. Helps  a lot.

- Bring the spare keys of your bike and luggage and have it somewhere where you can get it if you loose/break the main key.

Enojy!!!
Follow me at:
>>>> link hidden <<<<
>>>> link hidden <<<<

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Member
  • My new bike
    • View Profile
  • Bike: dl1000 CB500X
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 08:31:52 PM »
Tylenol extra strength ever four hour after a meal and water.  In test it beat ever anxiety drug. I hunt with a Doctor I ask have you ever heard Tylenol for anxiety? He pulled a small bottle from his pocket and said I don't leave home without it. He said it's what everyone one gets in the hospital he said watch they will go in check and if the person seems uneasy, they will touch their hand and say oh you feel warm let me get  you something for that. Have fun enjoy the day in 4D.  julman99 stressed water you will lose a lot just riding and the wind moving across your body so drink the day before and the day you ride.
Newman's first law: It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down. Paul Newman

Offline Celeste1178

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: Yulee, Florida
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 01:50:25 AM »
 Such great advice from everybody! I'm so glad you experienced riders take the time to help me out and keep this forum going.  I'm so glad to be a part of this wonderful community. 

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage