Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 500f vs 500x - a conundrum  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Yeldur

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
500f vs 500x - a conundrum
« on: August 10, 2017, 02:24:19 AM »
I'm currently on a 125 as UK laws dictate I must until I've completed my A2 license to step up to a bike up to 47bhp, and thought the CB500 range would be perfect, now, I did a lot of research and loved the look of the CB500x, it seemed perfect for what I was looking for, but now I've seen the 500f and don't know anymore.

Some information:
The majority of my journey's on the bike would be to and from work, however, as I am a prospect for a Riders Club, we sometimes do rides out to places nearby and sometimes, when an event is happening, very long rides. (The most recent was to Calstock bike rally up in Cornwall, about 200-250 miles) - My question is, with this information in mind, what would be the best suited bike for me? I was told that the 500x was the best suited bike for an all rounder, in that it does everything well but not one thing perfectly. Would the 500x be the best option or is the 500f better?

Thanks!

Offline Sargent_Horse

• CB500X Pro
  • What's brown and sticky? A stick!
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Mesa, AZ
Re: 500f vs 500x - a conundrum
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 05:04:47 AM »
The forum might be a bit biased, but I certainly would recommend the X over the F. It has a more comfortable seating position (subjective of course), offers more disability as it sits higher, has a wind screen which is well worth it, and I find it to be a better looking bike. Whatever you choose, enjoy your bike!
I don't actually own a vehicle with more than 2 wheels...

Offline Dr Strange

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: sheffield
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:42:21 AM »
I would say the only true way for you to decide would be to go to a dealer and test ride both bikes and make your own decision. The engine is the same on both bikes. AFAIK so is the gearing, so it's just a riding position issue for you. Good luck  :028:

Offline ngling

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rockhampton
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:23:16 AM »
Main differences between the F and the X are the seat height and the wind shield. If you have an inseam shorter than about 30 inches, you may find the X too tall. If you plan on doing a lot of highway riding, then the absence of a screen on the F may be an issue for you, although I know of a lot of riders who prefer not to have a wind shield. As has already been mentioned, you need to test ride both to decide which one.

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
  • Ride safe / Ride forever
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »
For my 2 cents worth I'd certainly go with the X
Long distance certainly the X would be the more comfortable seating position, larger screen to keep the bugs off and educed fatigue on the rider.
I'd think the X looks great with hand guards and with panniers is an overall lovely package.
The F still looks good with soft panniers but for practical purposes I'd go with the X

Good Luck
CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Online AJC500

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
Yeh, try both - F will feel smaller than the X, and a bit more 'stretched out' - the X is an upright adventure design, and I think feels more of a 'full size' bike.

Different folks though, there are many F's out there too!
The Story So Far.........

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Geel
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
Well, difficult decision!
I ride an X (I'm in my late 50ties) and my sun rides an F (he is in his early 20ties).
We both did a 750 km trip to the Ardennes over the weekend and encountered no problems concerning luggage, twisties, highways, fatigue etc.
I got a nail in the rear tyre, but I'd say that is somewhat normal ;-)
I would never swap my X for his F and vice versa.
Maybe one word of advice from an older biker: if you "have" to use the bike to commute, meaning you don't have the luxury to take a car when the weather is bad, you probably want to get as much weather protection as you can, so I would go for the X.
Guess it all comes down to you: do a test ride with both bikes and decide afterwards.
In any case: welcome to the community!
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »
First thing I did after buying a naked ( ER6n ) was fit a screen, I soon tired of the wind blast without it.

So go with the X, you get the screen thrown in. It's deep joy in town, as easy as your 125. On the motorway you can cruise above the legal limit all day, like from Calais to southern Germany in one hop.
Brian.

Online macamxthe1st

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:24:41 AM »
As an all-round package, the "X" is hard to beat and that is with the best part half million miles under my wheels on previous bike before I got to this point.

Geoff.
Geoff.

Offline marktbike

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: Alcamo
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 11:37:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by macamxthe1st >>>> link hidden <<<<
Guest - The above link is visible to MEMBERS only. Please Register or Login
As an all-round package, the "X" is hard to beat and that is with the best part half million miles under my wheels on previous bike before I got to this point.

Geoff.
Same advice with over 1 million km and some 60+ bikes. I really enjoy this little X, it's capable

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage